TOPIC: Configuring an amp line out into s-gear cabinet sim

Configuring an amp line out into s-gear cabinet sim 2 weeks 4 days ago #25301

Hi all. I'm running s-gear latest version in Logic latest version, with a MOTU M2 interface. I've got a Mesa Boogie Maverick amp with a line out ("slave" with a level adjust).

I'm running that line out into my interface and then disabling the amp modeler so that only cabinet simulation is active. The tone I'm getting even when a very similar speaker to my amp is selected is not bad, but I wonder if it could be better if I knew how best to set all my levels through the chain, for example:

I assume that as long as I'm not slamming the input of the MOTU and have plenty of headroom, I should be okay with the level on the amp's slave output. But what is a good signal level to be starting with (i.e. when setting preamp gain on the interface, what level should I go for or does it not matter)

Obviously with an analog amp the higher your signal the more you might overdrive the input stages. But with these digital models, particularly the cabinet simulation, is the level immaterial as long as it's far away from any digital clipping?

I just want to be sure I'm not getting subpar results due to setup errors.

Thanks!
  • rsilverst
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Configuring an amp line out into s-gear cabinet sim 2 weeks 4 days ago #25302

rsilverst wrote:

I assume that as long as I'm not slamming the input of the MOTU and have plenty of headroom, I should be okay with the level on the amp's slave output.

Yes, this is the correct approach.

With the cabinet emulation there is no level dependent processing, so it's a case of getting a healthy signal without clipping your audio interface input and making sure that the S-Gear output levels do not clip.

If you are using the S-Gear delay, then there are some non-linear elements that will react to input level, so your delays could become more saturated if the input level is higher. Trust your ears on this.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds