• Page:

TOPIC: The State of Audio Interfaces

The State of Audio Interfaces 2 months 1 week ago #21669

Came across this as an interesting option for a DI:
www.ikmultimedia.com/products/ztonedi/

Bascially the DI portion of the AXE-IO in a small, phantom or 9V battery-powered form. Has impdenence variable between 1-2.2 Megaohm

Plus if you have any 'jampoints' saved up you can use up to 45EUR worth, I've taken a punt and will compare with my Lehle Sunday driver once both arrive.
  • glengood87
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

The State of Audio Interfaces 2 months 1 week ago #21672

I just want to stress that impedance is not a metric for quality so we need to be congnizant of how much weight we place there. The interface with the higher number isn't necessarily the best, and in fact a higher value doesn't directly equate to better guitar tone -- it's a bit more complex. I'd settle for lower impedance (actually, I'd probably just ignore the spec) if it meant high-quality A/D, power supply, and other important components.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, tonycore
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

The State of Audio Interfaces 2 months 1 week ago #21674

It's helpful to know why we need a relatively high input impedance for passive guitar pickups. This same discussion has been had in the past here on the forum and of course it will keep coming up because it is important and often not fully understood (or oversimplified).

To quote from an earlier thread:

Passive pickups are loaded by whatever input they are directly plugged into. Connecting directly to a higher impedance input will emphasize the resonance of the pickup and associated (passive) electronics. Too low an input impedance will possibly damp the resonance completely and some high frequencies.

The following is a good technical article on the subject and if you scroll down to view the diagram fig.14, you can see a typical pickup resonance and the effect of loading.
buildyourguitar.com/resources/lemme/

Traditionally guitar amps provide an input impedance of about 1 Meg Ohm, whereas some pedals present lower impedance. The fuzz face for example has a very low input impedance. Both scenarios can help achieve a result that you might be looking for.

If you have active pickups then it doesn't matter. They will have there own high-Z buffer built into the active electronics and you can plug that into a lower impedance input without affecting the tone.

-Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, ryentzer, tonycore
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

The State of Audio Interfaces 2 months 6 days ago #21681

Following this thread with interest. I'm on a similar search for the right interface for recording guitar and bass along with multiple VIs. Curious if there are any updates.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

The State of Audio Interfaces 4 weeks 22 hours ago #21866

Hi, I just tested my Apogee Jam 96k via Mac Air. (S-Gear latest 2.90). However, S-Gear Stand-alone keeps saying something like “no interface detected”. Why? I ended up using Garage Band instead because it recognises Apogee Jam quickly. I appreciate Any advise you can share. Thanks
Brain/Heart->Fingers->Gtr >Pedal->Apogee Jam 96K ->Mac->ATH-M50->Ears->and it loops back endlessly ;)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

The State of Audio Interfaces 4 weeks 21 hours ago #21869

onzki wrote:

Hi, I just tested my Apogee Jam 96k via Mac Air. (S-Gear latest 2.90). However, S-Gear Stand-alone keeps saying something like “no interface detected”. Why? I ended up using Garage Band instead because it recognises Apogee Jam quickly. I appreciate Any advise you can share. Thanks

Please see the following:
www.scuffhamamps.com/support/troubleshoo...-t-see-my-apogee-jam
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

The State of Audio Interfaces 3 weeks 5 days ago #21899

Thanks! I will give it a try.
Brain/Heart->Fingers->Gtr >Pedal->Apogee Jam 96K ->Mac->ATH-M50->Ears->and it loops back endlessly ;)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds