TOPIC: Control parameters with your guitar (audio to midi)

Control parameters with your guitar (audio to midi) 1 year 8 months ago #20566

This is just a bit of fun, but it's possible to use some free plugins to convert your guitar signal to midi, and then use the midi to control different parameters in S-Gear, while you play.

Some examples:
- Decrease gain when playing lower notes (conversely increasing gain when you're high up on the fretboard).
- Decrease delay feedback when playing lower notes (increasing feedback when you're playing high up during a solo)
- Turning rack devices on/off when you play a specific note (turn delay on when you hit that high note during a solo).

With paid plugins you can also:
- Create midi pitchbend messages, so can control parameters while bending (bit hit and miss in my tests).
- Use the detected velocity to control parameters e.g. increase sag and presence while playing heavily.

For the free option I can use Reaper's ReaTune, which includes an option to turn the detected audio into a midi note. The handy set of midi utilities by Piz ( code.google.com/archive/p/pizmidi/downloads ) includes a Note to CC converter. Then the thirdparty Reaper plugin MiditoReaControlPath allows the note to CC midi conversion to be picked up by Reaper's midi learn (to bind it to the S-Gear parameter).

The paid option, Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2 also generates velocity from your guitar playing, so you can then use the same Piz midiNotestoCC plugin to convert velocity to a different CC message and value to control another S-Gear parameter.

EDIT: the Piz plugins also include an audio to cc converter, so this one will convert your playing volume to a midi CC message and value (for free). I needed to boost my guitar DI volume going into it, but it appears to work well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yurodivi
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Control parameters with your guitar (audio to midi) 1 year 8 months ago #20571

Can you clarify that this conversion happens in real time? Is there any sort of delay?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Control parameters with your guitar (audio to midi) 1 year 8 months ago #20574

Yes, I was playing around with this for real-time parameter control.
I couldn't perceive any real delay, and if you're doing this to control things like delay feedback it probably doesn't matter too much.
Not sure if I am interpreting this correctly, but looking at the recorded audio and recorded parameter envelope (which was detecting volume changes, converted from my audio using Jam Origin Midi Guitar) it looks to be around 70ms delay between when I strike the string and the converted midi detects maximum volume/velocity.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 year 8 months ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Control parameters with your guitar (audio to midi) 1 year 8 months ago #20575

My favourite use of this so far is adjusting poweramp sag on the Custom 57 based on my playing volume. I find it gives me more range with just my playing style and guitar volume, to go from really clean to a really compressed overdrive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: yurodivi
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Control parameters with your guitar (audio to midi) 1 year 8 months ago #20576

Checkout MIDIGuitar2.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Control parameters with your guitar (audio to midi) 1 year 8 months ago #20580

Hi jamsden. Yes I'm using Midi Guitar 2. I was able to use their scripting / custom midi effects feature to create a plugin to convert the note velocity to a CC value.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds