TOPIC: MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters

MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters 1 year 2 weeks ago #17497

I have been trying to make a control surface for S-Gear on my iPad using an app called TouchOSC. I posted an early example at the "General Discussion" forum. Here are some questions and general ideas concerning midi implementation/control.

Here are some things I have tried to accomplish but not succeeded in:
- ModThing: changing the "Chorus/Flange" setting
- DelayThing: changing between "Tube/Analog"
- ProConvolver: turning channel 1/2 on/off individually
- ProConvolver: browsing through IRs (like the arrow buttons in the GUI)
- RoomThing: changing presets (up/down)

Are any of these possible with the current midi configuration?

Other thoughts:
- setting up a control surface like this uses alot of midi mappings very quickly. As far as I can see S-Gear MIDI implementation is limited to 50 parameters. I've already used up all - and I want to do more! :) If there are no technical issues behind limiting number of parameters that can be mapped allowing more in a future update would be great.

- having a midi-learn function would ease the mapping of parameters to incoming midi

- the "A" and "B" amps have a duplicated set of parameters. So unless you want to map all of them you have to decide if you want to control amp "A" or "B". My personal opinion is that I would prefer if they had the same parameters and affected the currently-selected amp. This way you could reduce the complexity of mapping controls for both amps..

- MIDI out! I saw in an old post in the forum that this is not supported. It would be great if S-Gear did send MIDI out so that the control surface is always in sync with that you do in the GUI
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters 1 year 2 weeks ago #17499

Hi klinge,

Thanks for taking the time to feed back on your experiences.

The current MIDI implementation was designed to provide control of the most commonly used switches and parameters or live performance. It wasn't intended as a complete solution for control surfaces and hence there are some limitations as to what can be controlled via MIDI.

Similarly with the S-GEAR automation, this was intended for automated mixes rather than control surface support.

The limitations you have noted are correct. There may be some workarounds you can use for some of the things you want to do - for example you could use two ModThing units, one set up as a Chorus and the other as a Flanger. You could control the two channels of the ProConvolver by mixing the output levels.

With Amp A and Amp B settings, one issue is that when you switch between amps you may (or may not) want the MIDI controllers to affect the other amp. By separating them you can do as you wish by assigning two mappings to each MIDI controller number.

MIDI would definitely be helpful when usign control surfaces and also foot controllers with indicators.

It's great to see some of the control applications for S-GEAR. There's been some very impressive hardware controllers and software based control surface layouts. I will certainly be looking to better facilitate some more sophisticated use cases in future!

Cheers,
Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters 1 year 1 week ago #17517

Hi mike and thanks for the reply!

I get that what I try to do isn't really the intended use in the current application. And I agree that the currently supported controls cover all the common things.

But still - at least to me - being able to tweak settings with something a little more "physical" than using the mouse and computer makes editing sounds much more fun and "organic" - almost like a real amp. I am even thinking of going one step further and buy a real physical controller like the Arturia Beatstep or something. A Beatstep and a midi foot-controller could be the optimal solution maybe!

So I am happy right now - but still looking forward to even better support for this type of use in a coming version!

Cheers,
Johan
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters 1 year 1 week ago #17519

If you use S-Gear as a plugin into something like MainStage, you have a lot more flexibility in MIDI mappings. S-Gear exposes a lot of parameters to the plugin host that might not be available or practical for MIDI mapping in the standalone version. This also lets you put plugins in front of and after S-Gear for a more complete solution.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters 1 year 1 week ago #17523

That is an excellent suggestion!!

I almost always use S-Gear in a host (I'm on a PC so Cantabile or similar) - but I have just assumed that the controls that are present in the application itselt is the same as what is exposed to the host..

Thank you jamsden!
Last edit: 1 year 1 week ago by klinge.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters 1 year 1 week ago #17529

Had a look in Cantabile at the midi parameters S-Gear exposes.

What I see is lots of parameters, but many are not named so it's difficult to understand what (if anything) they control and in quite a few are mis-named so they in fact control something other than what they say they should control.

Has anyone else experienced this or is this an issue related to Cantabile?
Last edit: 1 year 1 week ago by klinge.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters 1 year 1 week ago #17530

I've looked at these hidden/unnamed parameters for the 'performance view' script I am creating in Reaper ( Forum Link ).

It can be tricky if you are looking for parameters from the rack devices. They are spaced out every 40 parameters, starting from 100. They are ordered based on when they were created (IIRC) but then one of the first parameters for them is its order in the rack. Other parameters provide the type (RoomThing, ModThing etc), whether it is currently shown in the rack, active/bypassed, and then you get into its specific settings.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 year 1 week ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters 1 year 5 days ago #17531

kierank: you did some great work on that Reaper script/performance view!! I never used Reaper but being able to use scripting this way makes me want to try it!.. :)

I'm curious at looking at your script to see what I can learn from how you find/use the parameter values from S-Gear. Is the latest version of the script posted in the thread you linked to?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI Control of S-Gear parameters 1 year 5 days ago #17532

klinge thanks. I'll upload the latest script on the weekend when I have some more time. I've added quite a few new features, with more to come!
The following user(s) said Thank You: klinge
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds