TOPIC: Tone Stacks

Tone Stacks 3 years 8 months ago #12894

Hello,

Would the following be accurate:

~begin~
A tone stack is a specialized type of audio filter incorporated into the circuit of an audio amplifier for altering the frequency response of the amplifier and as such, is the common name for the variable controls on an amplifier that control the frequency response. The most common tone stack controls are “Bass”, “Middle”, and “Treble”. Tone stacks can be passive or active in design, with most tone circuits in guitar amps being passive. A passive tone stack is one where the tonal shaping is the result of the attenuating – or reducing, certain frequencies in order to emphasize others. On the other hand, an active tone control circuit is one that would boost certain frequencies in order to emphasize them. It is important to understand that when passive tone controls are inserted into a circuit, there is a loss in signal level that occurs – known as “insertion loss” and where some tone circuits will have more insertion loss than others. However, all tone stacks will produce insertion loss to some degree. Passive tone circuit designed will often provide an extra gain stage designed to boost the signal up to where it would have been had there been no tone stack circuit inserted. All of the tone stacks used in the S-Gear amps is of the passive design.
~end~

I would appreciate any comments!
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tone Stacks 3 years 8 months ago #12895

It appears to begin with the Wikipedia quote and then pulls data from other sources. Grammar aside, it's generally on the right track, though the bit about S-Gear requires some finesse. If researching this you can find excellent articles about tone stacks and the signal flow within an amplifier throughout the net. They are accurate.

Out of curiosity, what is it that we're reading? Who wrote it and what is its purpose?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tone Stacks 3 years 8 months ago #12896

Hello,

I will answer your questions in turn:

Q1: What is it that we're reading?
R1: Just some clarification for those of us that are neophytes and may not understand what a tone stack is referring to.

Q2: Who wrote it?
R2: Various sources and of whom I will quote when completed?

Q3: And what is its purpose?
R3: As noted in R1 above.
Note: For interest, I was one! And though I had been using physical amps for years, I never knew that the bass, Middle and Treble controls were referred to as s tone stack.

Thanks, elambo.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Tone Stacks 3 years 8 months ago #12898

The forum explored this a few months ago. Below is one article which came out of that thread. I think it covers the bases rather well:

pickroar.com/1003/the-tone-stack-explain...-english-for-humans/
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr-es335
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds