TOPIC: I just ordered the ART Tube MP

I just ordered the ART Tube MP 3 years 8 months ago #12848

Anyone ever tried this with S-Gear? I read some people were having good luck using this in the effects loop of the HD500X and other modelers. I thought I would give that and S-Gear a try. I can always sell it.
  • clintmartin
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just ordered the ART Tube MP 3 years 8 months ago #12859

No one? Guess I'll be the guinea pig.
  • clintmartin
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just ordered the ART Tube MP 3 years 8 months ago #12863

I've been toying with the idea of putting a DI box of sorts in front of my Roland Quadcaptue for some time now but never got round to it.

I'd certainly be interested to hear your thoughts once you've given it a workout. If it does what it says on the tin, then it could be a good but wallet friendly investment.
  • bigcraigie_1
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just ordered the ART Tube MP 3 years 8 months ago #12867

I`m using tube preamp also before my music card,and looking forward to upgrade in more quallity cables and good DI box as well.

It can make improvement without any doubt.

I currently have no time to explain in great details why,but I suggest you to google a little bit on the topic.

To short the story,guitar signal is unbalanced,Di box make it to balanced,raise the signal which improve clarity,and less noise floor.And preamp,well it ads a little bit life to signal so to speak.

Know for quallity of ART Tube MP,how you pay that much you get.
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Studiostriver.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just ordered the ART Tube MP 3 years 8 months ago #12871

Cheap tube preamps like the ART usually have a transistor section up front. The tube then just adds gain. They are also usually run low current/voltage, so the tube response can be a bit fizzy/weak. I used an HD500 for a while, and the Hi-Z preamp seemed very good. The HD500X Hi-Z preamp is probably better quality/lower noise than the ART, but it all depends which preamp sound you like. You may like the tube gain sound, even if it is low voltage.

You would of course want to run whatever Hi-Z preamp you use into a line level input to avoid adding more noise and compromising the better preamp sound. You won't get the marginally better SNR coming from a balanced DI if the input is not balanced, but it doesn't really matter with Hi-Z electric guitar signals which rarely exceed a ~85dB SNR – even for many humbuckers, and there will still be whatever noise is picked up by the guitar cable before the DI. Any decently shielded average length guitar cable will pick up less noise than is generated by the guitar pickups and/or circuitry, so I wouldn't expect any improvement in SNR with a DI.

Many DI boxes just have an audio transformer. Transformers tend to color the sound differently than a transistor or tube preamp, compressing the attack more when driven by stronger pickups, and giving the sound a certain meatiness via low level hysteresis distortion. Some say transformers sound more “natural” than transistors, which would depend on the transformer. A good transistor preamp would actually be more transparent, but a little gain compression and meat can sound really good. There are also some great high voltage preamp pedals for much more money. This company makes some reasonable priced ones with several useful features that seem very good:
www.koch-amps.com/pedal-preamps.html

This guy makes several excellent tube pres with less features:
kingsleyamplifiers.com/products/pedals/
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just ordered the ART Tube MP 3 years 8 months ago #12878

For the HD500X I plan to put the Tube Pre in the effects loop in between the amp and cab. I read in another forum that this improved the sound of the POD cabs...we'll see.
Since I have that coming I thought it may be nice to try it with S-Gear too. This is a no lose situation. I'm happy with both S-Gear and the HD500X, and the tube pre only cost me $25.
  • clintmartin
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just ordered the ART Tube MP 3 years 7 months ago #12931

True is that good DI`s are very expensive. With cheap ones comes the cheap tone. Neve tranisistor based DI is first class,like some very expensive UAD Tube Di`s etc...I had I chance to test the few in studios of my buddies and difference is huge without any doubt.

There are always cheaper solutions,but it will not give the same quallity of results.

I plan myself to upgrade in this year with better solution then this 500$ Korg TP-2 instrumental preamp.Its good for certain kind of tones,but I need more transparency so I`m going with Neve if all goes well.
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Studiostriver.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just ordered the ART Tube MP 3 years 7 months ago #12933

Ahhh. I forgot to update my findings.
I never tried this with S-Gear, but for the POD I didn't notice anything more than an EQ change. Pre amp it added lows and raised the mids, Post amp it raised the lows and cut the mids. For S-Gear I have a blank patch I use in the POD. This provides a buffered input and works great with any sim.
I'll probably sell the ART tube pre at some point. It adds nothing.
  • clintmartin
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just ordered the ART Tube MP 3 years 7 months ago #13044

If you are asking in relation to working "in the box" via your recording software...Pro Tools, Cubase, Cakewalk etc.. This would probably have more impact on what you are trying to accomplish than the ART Tube Pre

The above YT approach could be accomplished using these free plugins for setting up all or just your guitar track(s) for a nice analog warm tone.

varietyofsound.wordpress.com/2009/10/29/...-withi-the-kvr-dc09/

This is also done by one of the highlighted artists on the Scuffham site itself. As his approach for Chasing Light explains:

"Tell us about your guitars and signal chain?

Guitars:
• Gretsch G5422TDC Electromatic Hollow Body (used this the most on the record)
• Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
• American Fender Frankencaster (custom rosewood neck, custom tuners, Lollar Imperial bridge HB and Lollar "Firebird" neck pickup)
• Another custom Strat that started its life as a Squire but turned into something else over the span of several years :)

I record and mix 95% "in the box" using a Mac rig with Apogee Duet converter and Logic Pro X. As for signal chain, here's what I typically start out with in my templates for every S-GEAR track.

• Slate Digital VCC - The Brit N
• IK T-Racks VC 670 Compressor
• S-GEAR

I will use other plug-ins for color as needed. My favorites are the Valhalla reverbs and many stock Logic plugs.

'Chasing Light' is due for worldwide digital release January 6, 2015 on all major digital music stores.

Rob Flemming"

Also....Some tips for better Amp Sim setup for recording in the box: Scuffham does not seem to need a whole lot of messing with it, but for really fine tuning these can be some useful ideas in your back pocket.

If you are using just the app this will not apply.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by CoolSimz.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds