TOPIC: S gear with Nebula

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #10001

A. I'm making an assumption about how resonance works. I think it's true that as a resonating system is driven harder, the antinodes become more pronounced, but I'm not sure if the stronger ones become more pronounced than the weaker ones. Probably, they do, but more harmonics might appear as the system is driven harder. An algorithm could be programed based on the harmonics present in the IR. I assume there are multiple fundamentals in a given speaker/cab system. Tracking them might be difficult, because the fundamental harmonic is not always the strongest in a resonating system. Some choices could be made by the effect designer for each cab modeled.

B. If my presumption is correct, the IR would have to be recorded at very low volumes where the antinodes are the weakest, so the resonance is not too pronounced at the maximum dynamic resonance setting, or the following method could be employed.

C. I don't think the Pod HD DEP Cab Res feature is dynamic. It does not increase intensity as it is driven harder. They should make these changes so people might actually use it. Seems they could have it dynamically damp the IR antinode levels when the input level is lower. They could have 50% Res level be equal to the maximum capability of the actual cabs, and 100% be enhanced. There should be a level meter showing where the enhancement level is in accordance with the input. There should also be a dynamic level knob to compensate for the input level. The function of the other parameters would not have to change. I don't think resonances last longer when a system is driven harder, but I don't know for sure.

This is all pretty subtle stuff, but I think it will be tackled at some point.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10257

Hi guys im here again just to share an example of how good a nebula pre can drive sgear... in this case a vintage api... before sgear...

first track without nebula.... second track with nebula

www.mediafire.com/listen/101qns16booh24a/neb+pre+n.mp3
............................................................................................................
www.mediafire.com/listen/45bvs09xddwut6d/neb+pre.mp3

what you guys think??? except for the noise .... this was a quick clip....

peace :gripped:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
and music is life.... live the life... and feel the music...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10261

gabrielscruff wrote:

first track without nebula.... second track with nebula

www.mediafire.com/listen/101qns16booh24a/neb+pre+n.mp3
............................................................................................................
www.mediafire.com/listen/45bvs09xddwut6d/neb+pre.mp3

I listened to both and the gain is so drastically different that it's tough to judge whether the API is making the tone better, worse, or just adding more gain.
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by elambo.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10262

Yeah, sounds totally different, the second track has much more gain and noise. Hard to compare the two.
1982 Squier JV Strat, 2004 G&L ASAT Tele, IK Multimedia Stealth Pedal, Line6 FBV II, Plogue Bidule, Amplitube, S-Gear, Mission Eng. Gemini 2
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10270

:gripped:

im sorry about the noise.. but the main reason was to show the "gain" type... of sound... that a pre can add... in this case i really drive the preamp...

the sound was just the same as the first track.. but with a preamp as "drive" ..before sgear....soo ...sounds louder...

:gripped:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10273

I think what we're trying to say is that it's impossible to know whether or not the API is adding something to the sound other than volume. You could send more volume to S-Gear in many ways, thereby achieving the same effect. So what's being demonstrated in the comparison is two different levels of gain, not so much API vs. non-API.

I'm also very skeptical of emulations of pres or mics. Several companies have tried this and failed because the science falls short. With the mic emulations, they claimed that you could get the sound of a ~$15K mic with a much lesser starting point. The problem is... that's not true. If you're using an SM57 to record vocals you'll NEVER mimic a U47 because the data simply isn't there to manipulate.

The same is true with mic pre emulators. If the sound isn't being recorded you can't add it in with software because it doesn't exist. And that's the beauty of a real API, or Neve, etc. -- they bring the mojo. I can appreciate what they're trying to do but it's important to understand that there are limits to what *can* be done with these types of products.

There are scenarios where they could be useful, if you do it right. For instance, if you capture the signal with a clean preamp (a John Hardy, for example) you could then introduce, or subtract, the components which make it different from an API or Neve or SSL, etc. But, as we all know, it's not such an easy chore to capture pristine guitar tone. And if you're going to go to that effort, just get the API. Or Neve. Or better yet get both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: laru1977
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10274

I agree with you in most points, especially about the mic "emulations".
With mic pre's things look better as you said, as you could track with a steril, clean preamp and get mojo from emulations.

About the "get API, NEVE or both" sentence:
Ever thought about, that in some countries (even in europe/east) are some 100% working people earning 400 - 500 euro/month.
And to pull the visacard to buy things with non existing money, making 10000's Dollars/Euros whatever debts in a few years also doesn't make people sleep better, no ?!
Last edit: 5 years 2 weeks ago by laru1977.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10275

elambo wrote:

And if you're going to go to that effort, just get the API. Or Neve. Or better yet get both.

i agree with your points.. i do think nebula can add a little nice mojo to a neutral preamp... in my case it sounds good.. i just record the clips to show the gain feature.. maybe alone it sounds "harsh" , but in a song or guitar part it casn sounds cool...

i would love to get a neve or an api.. in my country they cost A LOT ... and are very rare to find... only if you buy and pay the shipping.... you guys who live in europe or usa..are luck people..sometimes you guys just don't know how much...

i tend to stick with nebula... in the meanwhile...
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10276

This time i will let you guys find out what track is nebula and what track is only sgear...

i just love the clarity....and good stuff all togheter... nebula and sgear are great...is such a nice feeling to be able to achieve this type of tones..using computer and creativity... i just want to thank every brilliant mind involved in software development and creation!!!

www.mediafire.com/listen/ofglut6gu3blias/A+TONE.mp3

...................................................................................................
www.mediafire.com/listen/d5w56vba3u7044b/A+TONEB.mp3
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10277

I don't think it sounds bad at all, and I think what elambo was trying to say is, it's hard to tell a difference when only one of the tracks contains that gain boost.
I guess the Nebula API sounds good, if it's close enough to the original device is a whole other discussion.

But to compare it to something, it would be useful to record another track with a different gain boosting device or plugin.

About the money issue: that's one of the reasons why plugins are so popular, you can get thousands of dollars of equipment for a fraction of the price- even if it's not 100% accurate, some of them sound great in their own way. That's why I love Mike's concept: he's not trying to make perfect models of real amps, but makes his own models. And they sound great and have their own character.
1982 Squier JV Strat, 2004 G&L ASAT Tele, IK Multimedia Stealth Pedal, Line6 FBV II, Plogue Bidule, Amplitube, S-Gear, Mission Eng. Gemini 2
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10280

jp91 wrote:

I don't think it sounds bad at all, and I think what elambo was trying to say is, it's hard to tell a difference when only one of the tracks contains that gain boost.

Yes, exactly. I wasn't commenting on the tone itself, only the comparison.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 weeks ago #10281

laru1977 wrote:

About the "get API, NEVE or both" sentence:
Ever thought about, that in some countries (even in europe/east) are some 100% working people earning 400 - 500 euro/month.
And to pull the visacard to buy things with non existing money, making 10000's Dollars/Euros whatever debts in a few years also doesn't make people sleep better, no ?!

They're expensive front ends in any country though I realize that in many places prices are unfairly high. My comment 'get one of each' was a joke, purely to express the point that it's tough to create a true shortcut to those particular sounds.

We haven't even ventured into the fact that the emulation is being inserted before the amp - not at the cabinet/microphone stage. But this goes to the point, as several have made, that it can be interesting to experiment with various options if you're not concerned about authenticity. It's the final sound that matters.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 week ago #10312

:( good preamps... well maybe some day.. right now..i will stick to these little sounds... and by the way..thats what i call "clean" sound...

from the heaven preset.. one track only sgear.. and the other one.. nebula as amp and cab.. and sgear effects... from the same heaven preset...

www.mediafire.com/listen/655wg5w55gfakwg/HEAVEN+SG.mp3

.................................................................................................................

www.mediafire.com/listen/o0bbao9w8bxhhfm/HEAVEN+NEB.mp3
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 week ago #10341

When I suggest to make option for easier use with Nebula(eq matching is lovely idea) which is also in my opinion way more realistic than any IR,people here telling me it`s`not a big deal,and obviously tone is way more alive.

I liked all your clips bro,keep posting them.I enjoy very much. ;)

You convinced me to start sparing bucks for Nebula and S-Gear(I hope they will finally release some more mean hi gain amp model that is not from 80thies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gabrielscruff
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
Last edit: 5 years 1 week ago by Studiostriver.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 week ago #10355

im in for the higain amp and stuff... i think if they sample some crazy good amp heads... like the cdsoundmaster gtrvtx. but from an amp head ... lets say a true soldano.. or a diezel.. and you can use it to give the tonal quality and use the distortion from an amp sim... or from a pedal.. you can get crazy good resultsat least with gtrvtx.. much more alive and even more dynamic touch feel...

thanks for your words mate!!! will post clips for sure!
good to know that you are into the nebula + sgear and all other stuff... is nce and you can get even more creative... the results is worht the effort to learn a new approach ...

tks mate! peace!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Studiostriver
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 days ago #10436

hey guys! this time im using nebula only as reverb..the cabs and the amps are from sgear alone!

but i need some help.. what track is better? only a little change inside the proconvolver...

give mesome toughts !!!

www.mediafire.com/listen/xh91r5g06hrd6my/0000.mp3
..............................................................................................
www.mediafire.com/listen/iasd202osthwm5i/0001.mp3

and here is a little jam..simple stuff just for fun...

www.mediafire.com/listen/5hgjyvoggy58070/00000.mp3

peace
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 4 years 11 months ago #10487

B) another good use of nebula programs is to add that little something that is missing inside our software world...

in this case the "analog" vibe or color... warmth .... i just dont know the right word... but in this case im using sgear with his own cabs ... and with samplitude delay plugin.

the diference is bettween the sound with nebula program from a analog delay just to give the texture of the pedal... sort of "preamp" tone... harmonics... etc... and the delay is from samplitude delay stock plugin.

1- nebula off
2- nebula on
3 in context nebula on

www.mediafire.com/listen/eacayot55ore3v4/MOOG+off.mp3
........................................................................................................
www.mediafire.com/listen/juq8tbdh9d0y7n1/MOOG+on.mp3
........................................................................................................
www.mediafire.com/listen/te1ngurn43prlwr/MOOG.mp3

one word? warm... :gripped:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Studiostriver
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 4 years 10 months ago #10768

Hey people!

I just want to share new sounds using sgear with some nebula...

i think nebula as cabinet makes the sound "breath" better... and this can make the amp a lot unforgiven(nuances and details on picking etc)... if you play nice it will sound nice but if you make a mistake, it appears right and loud in your face.... just like a great tube amp would do...

In another hand it makes you want to play better and practice ...

check the sounds right here!

N stands for Nebula and S for S-gear.

www.mediafire.com/folder/7jv1q60cqtxkd/NS

peace!!!
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 4 years 10 months ago #10787

Nice what is the setup here? Are you using Neb as a cabinet or is this just S-gear w/ samplitude as delay? I have Nebula but have not tried any cabinet sims, what do you recommend?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 4 years 10 months ago #10789

Tks mate!

here im using nebula as a "combo" amp with a pedal to give the distortion... the signal to noise amp deluxe program.

if you can hav eonly one nebula program? go for ownhammer studio mix library (ies)

with a eq after the segar with cab bypass... is just awesome!

i have all of them the 1x12, 2x12, 4x12 modern and vintage...

they can sound amazing!

i will post some audio with eq and without post eq

Peace!
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds