TOPIC: S gear with Nebula

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 months ago #9459

psklaroff wrote:

Here's another track and hopefully a little more organic sounding. Getting those 'edge of breakup' guitar tones are always the hardest ones...

That's for sure. I think you've found a great tone and it very nicely compliments the distortion from the Leslie.

(are you creating the backing tracks, too?)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 months ago #9464

Hi Elambo,

Thanks so much once more for your very kind words. :-)

I have used a few of my own backing tracks in the clips i've posted here, but this wasn't mine on the last track. I think it was from a guy called Vito Astone (who has a great You Tube channel btw) and I've been really impressed with his tracks. Definitely worth checking out!...

Cheers

Pete
  • psklaroff
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 months ago #9466

psklaroff wrote:

Still, it's great fun and some of the results have been quite satisfying but I suspect I still have a huge learning curve to go with all this... :-)

Cheers

Pete

Check this video that ive create comparing some stuff...

hope it helps! :gripped:

• gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
and music is life.... live the life... and feel the music...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 months ago #9549

If 1 sgear is nice what you guys think about 2 sgears??

i know this can be an old approach but i dont remember if someone talk about that stuff here... in this forum...

sort of stereo signal chain...

on the left we have our great blue klaptonite preset...

on the right we have our great house burning down preset...

send both tracks to a stereo mix bus... (in this case with nebula as cabinet)

and voila...

sounds cool huh?

www.mediafire.com/listen/ak5awaa9yhdjdgr/double+sgear.mp3

Attachments:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 months ago #9573

Sorry for my absence !! I've been practicing with sgear and nebula lately, and I'm already beginning has been to find the sound I was looking for. I still have much to learn and experience to get the sound that you're taking him. gabriel, haver if you dare you and make a video teaching how sgear mixtures with nebula and Tim poweramps, jijiji now I'm looking or sounding reggae with some nebula sgear and school library, any idea to respect ?? By the way, I do not get sound so good because I'm a guitarist -1 level, it is clear that it is I who has the potential and not sgear and nebula, jijij

The trick to put two shots on a bus already knew, but thanks for the advice and the preset of this guitar is very cool, but a little crazy !!

Thank You
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 months ago #9615

Hey Jordi!

Tks for your words mate!!

Im on a rush to make a new video but you can experiment with something like that... in the picture

1 - nebula tim petherick tcs treble and bass

2- nebula ownhammer power amp fryth kt 88

3- nebula henry olonga fender champion (in the pic the km184 mic.)

4 - sgear with amp and cab in bypass using the reverb only. or delay if sounds better.

in the dirt sound example the proco rat free vst was used first in the chain to add distortion.

www.mediafire.com/listen/5d2xgkxj2loa200/CHAMPION+600+CLEAN.mp3

www.mediafire.com/listen/9928cc02s3kwc3a...00+DIRT+PROCORAT.mp3

hope it helps and practice is the key .... work on that and you'll sound great!

peace!!
Attachments:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 2 months ago #9675

Just curious to see what Nebula adds, can you post a clip comparing the Ownhammer IR to the same Ownhammer Nebula library? That way, you're not also hearing the difference from changing the cab or microphone, etc.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9696

:thumbs up:

i will post some AB between the same library... ownhammer ir / ownhammer nebula

just wait :gripped:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9704

a111 wrote:

Just curious to see what Nebula adds, can you post a clip comparing the Ownhammer IR to the same Ownhammer Nebula library? That way, you're not also hearing the difference from changing the cab or microphone, etc.

i hope this clips show some of the diference between the ownhammer cab IR and the
ownhammer cab NEBULA

first the IR
www.mediafire.com/listen/5henfrfcuc3e0ym/O+IR.mp3

and here NEBULA
www.mediafire.com/listen/hehuwm9pafko6mo/O+NEBULA.mp3

by the way nebula sounds like that because of the tweak that ive discovered...by "accident"

to my ears there is a big diference... and the nebula one is lower on volume but seems louder because of the clarity... this is what got me... the clarity and the "sort of air" nebula sounds more dynamic than any ir...
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9705

gabrielscruff wrote:

by the way nebula sounds like that because of the tweak that ive discovered...by "accident"
If you have 'tweaked' something to make Nebula sound 'better' then you may have spoiled the comparison. They should sound almost identical if the reproduction is accurate, certainly in terms of frequency response, and these two clips sound quite different to my ears.

A normal Impulse Response captures the linear frequency response of a system (i.e. without any distortion). Nebula extracts from the swept sine measurement a set of impulse responses (volterra kernals) corresponding to the harmonic content to also reproduce some of the non-linear characteristics. For a guitar cabinet however, the difference would be subtle.

It would be more interesting to hear a clean comparison ;)
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9707

mike wrote:

gabrielscruff wrote:

If you have 'tweaked' something to make Nebula sound 'better' then you may have spoiled the comparison.

It would be more interesting to hear a clean comparison ;)

Hi Mike!

Thats the thing... if i use nebula with the non tweak approach it sounds very close to what an impulse does. Even Kevin (ownhammer)the developer of the libraries once wrote...he said that the diference was soo little that he decide to keep developing new irs insted of both formats. nebula and irs.(due to the time consuming task regarding nebula capture process)

The accident tweak have a sort of explanation when you reduce the first timed kernels you end up filtering up part of the low content,and some part of the capture process does affect the sound something like 184ms.acording to my reading this affects the low content capture prcoess of an ir.(im not an expert regarding all of the process) i think that "low" content ,boxiness sound may i say, it goes away and we can hear a "cleaner" sound.With more clarity.And IMO end up sounding much better. If i try to apply an hp filter or EQ ,it wont work the same... because of the DYNAMIC nature of nebula capture process gives more clarity to the sound.

When i use nebula i set the first timed kernels to 1.8ms folowed by the freqd kernels set all to 184ms.
This is something more complex for me, i can only say how i do it, not how it works all this math stuff...

If i can tweak something to sound better at least to my ears, well i will do it ! for me it shows even more the true colors of the amazing software that you've created. Gives more clarity in feel and hearing.

When you say a clean comparison ,you mean a clean sound AB?

Peace :gripped:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9709

gabrielscruff wrote:

When you say a clean comparison ,you mean a clean sound AB?
I meant without the tweak.

If impulses responses are too short, then you lose accuracy in the low end response since the frequency buckets in the FFT are too coarse. Not sure if that is the problem you are referring to.

Cheers,
Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9716

a111 wrote:

sorry Mike the topic is long... that was a request from A111, and without the tweak there is no need for a "comparison" ...

as i said in my previous post .. even the developer (ownhammer)said that the diference between an IR and the same nebula (without tweak), can sound almost the same.

that's why i dont like IRS... personally...to my ears they sound lifeless...

that's were i apply my "tweak" in order to make the sound... sound better, i can make nebula sound the same as an IR, but i can't make an IR sound as good as nebula...

never been as happy as now... it sounds warm and tasty!

here is a sample of some blues with my tweak... i dont have an AB, but i never heard my guitar sound soo good for this type of blues thing... nice to have sgear paired with nebula.

www.mediafire.com/listen/3d99yg1ymv5bydv/blues+1x12.mp3

peace :gripped:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by gabrielscruff.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9727

gabrielscruff wrote:

a111 wrote:

sorry Mike the topic is long... that was a request from A111, and without the tweak there is no need for a "comparison" ...

as i said in my previous post .. even the developer (ownhammer)said that the diference between an IR and the same nebula (without tweak), can sound almost the same.

Thanks! I didn't realize that without the tweak, Nebula and IRs would sound exactly the same. That is an interesting effect though.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9729

a111 wrote:

Thanks! I didn't realize that without the tweak, Nebula and IRs would sound exactly the same. That is an interesting effect though.

I wouldn't say exactly the same, they sound close at least the ownhammer compared to ownhammer itself. They sound similar, not exactly the same .Some "golden" ear folks say that nebula have more low end, bottom end.. i dont know for sure the explanation.

But with the tweak at least for me, nebula sounds great. As i said, i can make nebula sound as an ir, but i can't make an ir sound as equal as nebula.
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9972

B) time for some new experiments...

i've been using sgear with nebula and recabinet4 power amp section...
in this sound clip the first clip is this chain...
>TSER47 (free pedal)
>Nebula SCS treble and bass (as preamp tone stack)
>Recabinet 4 (only the power amp section in neutral mode)
>Nebula Henry Olonga fender champion (as cabinet)
> Sgear (with delay thing from edge jackal delays preset ON)
>Compression an EQ (hp and lp)
.................................................................................................................

I know it can sounds a lot of things.. but i think the end result sounds just great... check it!

www.mediafire.com/listen/m75r1v2xld3lmb9/championrec4.mp3

.................................................................................................................

the second clip is the sound with the pedal and sgear same preset an own cabinet on... just for reference...

www.mediafire.com/listen/0b3it6rfb2zyb6x/championsg.mp3

what you guys think? sounds nice?

peace!!! :gripped:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9979

Is the 2nd clip *only* the pedal and S-Gear? No eq, no compression, no Nebula, etc.?
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by elambo.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9981

Elambo, the 2nd clip is with the pedal, sgear, and compression...

the eq was needed in the first clip just to low cut below 80hz and high cut above 10khz...

what you think? sounds cool?
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9989

The speaker/cab represents a resonant system. Seems to me that as the system is pushed harder, the various antinodes might become slightly exaggerated compared to the nodes. A dynamic FFT-based effect could be programed for each cab IR to dynamically enhance respective peaks with a knob to adjust the level it's being driven. A level meter showing the peak of the enhancing effect would be useful, so you don't push it beyond the limit of the dynamic enhancement. I think that might provide the subtle lively realism lacking in a static IR. I doubt that the Recabinet Dynamics feature does it that way, but who knows?

As far as speaker breakup, I don't think it's really a desirable effect, and I don't think guitar speakers are designed to "break up" in a certain way. If anything, it's something to be avoided as much as possible. I imagine the transition to distortion is pretty abrupt, like transistor distortion. A good preamp sim should be better for that effect.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S gear with Nebula 5 years 1 month ago #9998

I think this is what Line 6 POD HD500(X) is trying to simulate with the speaker resonance, thump and decay parameters. Interestingly the recommendations on the HD500 forum seem to be to turn resonance to 0 where thump and decay have no effect, and you're getting the raw IR. So I'm not sure this is necessarily a good thing. I experimented with it, and by ear, resonance can be useful in some situations. It tends to thicken and enrich the tone, adding more speaker color. If you're looking for warmth, then resonance might not be it. But this will take more experimenting.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds