TOPIC: "Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 8 months 1 week ago #22205

When you click on the following link, close out the BLUE "It’s free to save this in Dropbox" window to access the play button.

www.dropbox.com/s/uk3leat88j2aqu9/Righteous_Master.wav?dl=0

Instrument plugins used S-Gear, Addictive Drums, Modo Bass, Kontakt (harmonica).

1965 Strat > Hyper Gravity > Steinberg MR816csx > Cubase 8

Cheers, David Hardy

soundcloud.com/david-wayne-hardy
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, guitarno, phil
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 8 months 1 week ago #22206

Pretty amazing cover of this EJ song. Nothing that Eric does is easy, so this had to have been a monumental effort on your part. Even the Kontakt harmonica sounded good!

At some points in the song, your tone started sounding like a Jan Hammer synth part. It reminded me a bit of his playing on "Blue Wind" by Jeff Beck.

t_b_o_t
  • the_bear_over_there
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 8 months 1 week ago by the_bear_over_there.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 8 months 1 week ago #22207

Love the B3-like tones...
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 8 months 1 week ago #22208

Awesome man! Very nice. Love the tone and the pinch harm trails.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 8 months 1 week ago #22211

That's some kick-ace playin', man! Thank you for sharin' this, Knuck!
  • cojoguitar
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 8 months 1 week ago #22213

Thank you, the_bear_over_there, soundog, rep_techy, and cojoguitar! Much appreciated.
I used the same recording technique for the guitar tracks as described in my "Pavilion" post:

The guitar parts are all edits from multiple takes and the speed phrases were broken down into smaller sections, then strung together via audio editing.
My guitar skills are very limited, but the power of audio editing allows for me to do things that are physically impossible otherwise.

Cheers
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by knuck1952.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 6 months 3 weeks ago #22362

Totally Zap. I used to have his Hot Licks vhs tape and wore it out so bad the tracking correction button wouldn't do anything to help. At the end of the video it shows him playing Zap and it was mind-blowing. If I remember correctly it showed him playing his ES335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 6 months 3 weeks ago #22365

Fantastic playing David! Subscribed now to your soundcloud...
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 6 months 2 weeks ago #22372

@knuck1952

Care to share the preset?
  • sozekeyser31
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 6 months 6 days ago #22407

asintoras wrote:

Fantastic playing David! Subscribed now to your soundcloud...
Same for me! Really great David! EJ is one of my favorite players. Interesting that you leveraged audio editing to put these together. I am starting to use more recording now (age of Covid). I can only hope to build up enough skills over time to do something like this!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 6 months 5 days ago #22408

Thank You asintoras, do you have a SoundCloud account?

guitarno: Cubase has powerful audio editing capabilities. I record small sections, one at a time using the looping function, then select the best take and insert it to a Master Guitar Track on the timeline. It's tedious, but it's the only way I can accomplish it.

Cheers

David Hardy
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 3 months 1 week ago #22680

Awesome job on the playing and mirroring the guitar tone with Scuffham David! Personally, I would like to have seen you step out a bit more and not do an exact copy of the song. I have one song I am working on right now where I want harp lines with the guitar in it like that, but have not been able to find a good harp sample. Any chance you could tell me how you made that harp in Kontact?

Great job and much appreciated :)
Tim
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 3 months 1 week ago #22685

Hi Tim

I reloaded the Cubase project and discovered that I actually used HALion SE for the harmonica and the stock preset is named 'Amped Harmonica". I mistakenly posted that Kontakt was used. Hope this helps!

Cheers

Davvid
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 3 months 1 week ago #22688

Hello knuck,

I downloaded HALion SE and got it installed. With all of the Steinberg pieces, it is a pretty big product, with lots of moving parts. I looked all over and I can't find a harmonica preset anywhere in HALion. I also did a search on the Steinberg website, after creating an account, and I do not see one there either. I searched in the Download Assistant as well, and I can't find one there. Any idea what I may be doing wrong? FYI, I am not using Cubase. I tried HALion standalone, in Reaper, and in Presonus Studio One.

It is pretty impressive what you get, with the HALion SE FREE version! I just don't see any actual presets, or content after installing it. There are two free "instruments" available on the Steinberg site...Guitar Harmonics Essential and Alto Glockenspiel Essential. I downloaded both. Neither of these has anything even close to a harmonica. And, they are both pretty limited (unless I am completely misunderstanding how this plugin works!)

Not asking for a tutorial here, but is there something simple I might be able to do, to use the harmonica preset that you use? Am I possibly going to have to purchase some package for this? That harmonica sound is pretty sweet in your Righteous recording...

Thank you,
t_b_o_t
  • the_bear_over_there
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 3 months 1 week ago #22689

Just to be clear...what I installed was HALion Sonic 3 SE. Maybe this is a different product??
  • the_bear_over_there
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 3 months 1 week ago #22694

Hey t_b_o_t

I'm attaching two jpegs of my HALion SE2 plugin showing the "Amped Harmonica" preset I used.

When I typed in harmonica in the HALion search engine, this preset shows up along with several other harmonicas (see photo). The HALion version I have is the standard version included with Cubase 8. I didn't install any addons.

Cheers

David
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Righteous" > Eric Johnson Cover 3 months 1 week ago #22695

Thank you David. Unfortunately, I don't think the free version of HALion I downloaded comes with any of these sounds/presets. You probably got them with the Cubase/HALion install. Thank you for checking on this, and for the screen shots!!

Have a good week!
  • the_bear_over_there
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds