TOPIC: 80's Pop Tone

80's Pop Tone 2 months 2 weeks ago #19451

Hi all. I’m fairly new to S-Gear. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a tone I’m looking to dial in using the software. I’m trying to get that glassy, trebley strat sound like you would hear in 80’s pop and in sort of a synth pop revival you would hear today. I’m guessing it’s not many of you guys’ cup of tea, but Girls by The 1975 is really good example of the sound I’m looking to produce. I’ll attach a link. My guess is that a lot of the sound has to do with heavy compression, which I know S-Gear doesn’t have. I’ve got Garageband and will be getting Logic fairly soon and I know there are some compressors in there. Maybe there’s a good plugin to incorporate with S-Gear or maybe I don’t need a compressor at all and can do it all in the software. I’m not sure. Any advice on this would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

The 1975 - Girlshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXYSD65UpSg
The following user(s) said Thank You: psklaroff
  • stratman88
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

80's Pop Tone 2 months 2 weeks ago #19454

Did you try 80's Chorus Clean? probably a good start point but definitely you'll need some compression. Try substituting the Wayfarer which has more bright lift potential plus the graphic EQ. A lot of 80's guitarists would go DI for their clean sound. I recall Alan Murphy (Go West) had a live rig that would switch between a DI clean and his stereo Super Champs for the over-driven stuff.

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: psklaroff, ges, stratman88
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

80's Pop Tone 2 months 1 week ago #19460

File Attachment:

File Name: b18eff923568f30ce32602f6634fdbd9
File Size: 1,400 KB
Hi Stratman88,

Mike (as always) is spot on regarding the 80's chorus clean preset. I use that a lot for sounds like this. He's also right about the great Alan Murphy, who if you haven't heard you'd really enjoy.

Alan sadly passed away in 1989 but left us all a great legacy of recordings from the 1980s. Check out his work with Go West and Level 42. The first Go West album is a treasure trove of wonderful playing and stupendous clean and distorted guitar tones. Alan's clean sound was much copied at the time and sounded as good live as it did on record. Here's a site about him:

alanmurphy.uk/history/go-west/

Btw - I recorded this rather rough sample (see attached MP3) when trying to emulate Alan's clean tone using S Gear when it first came out and sadly lost all my settings, but it shows you can get close anyway.

Hope some of the above helps,

Cheers

Pete
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, stratman88
  • psklaroff
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 months 1 week ago by psklaroff.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

80's Pop Tone 2 months 1 week ago #19471

Mike and psklaroff, Thank you for the help! This tone is spot on to what I was looking for. Guess I just should have looked a little harder. ;) I know you hear it a lot, but this really is excellent software at emulating realistic guitar tones. Makes you inspired to write songs knowing you can get the tone you're looking for easily. Keep up the good work!

Also nice playing on that sample psklaroff. That sounded fantastic!
The following user(s) said Thank You: psklaroff
  • stratman88
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

80's Pop Tone 2 months 1 week ago #19484

My pleasure and thanks for your kind words. :-)

Cheers

Pete
  • psklaroff
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds