TOPIC: Encoder wheel MIDI controller

Encoder wheel MIDI controller 4 weeks 2 days ago #25207

Hey guys!

I'm looking for a MIDI controller with encoder wheels like the MIDI Fighter Twister as a companion for S-Gear, to control amp- and effects-parameters with encoder wheels like i.e. on a Kemper Profiler www.midifighter.com/#Twister
I just wonder, if the LED feedbacks of the encoders will be linked to the current S-Gear parameter settings, so that they're going to be initialized when a preset is switched and also synchronizes when parms are changed via the S-Gear UI.

There is also a way cheaper product by Behringer which has 8 rotary encoders plus some buttons that could be used to toggle S-Gear's amp or effect switches www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0B3M
Hardware-wise it looks pretty interesting, but unfortunately its editor just works with Windows, and it is said that the encoder wheels are of poor quality that won't last long.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup?

Cheers,
ANdrea
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Encoder wheel MIDI controller 3 weeks 2 days ago #25214

The Behringer mini always looked nice, but they never came through with Mac support. I built a Raspberry-PI based MIDI controller using rotary encoders with the intent of controlling guitar SIMs but gave up for the reason you mention: 2-way communication to get sw status. I tried numerous DAWs and standalone sw (including S-Gear, as I recall).

Maybe you'll have better luck than I on your quest, but I ended up using regular MIDI pots sending CC values 0-127 for guitar sim control.
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Encoder wheel MIDI controller 3 weeks 2 days ago #25215

haeckse wrote:

I just wonder, if the LED feedbacks of the encoders will be linked to the current S-Gear parameter settings, so that they're going to be initialized when a preset is switched and also synchronizes when parms are changed via the S-Gear UI.

Hello!

Currently there is no MIDI out implemented in S-Gear, this is what you would need to have one of these devices pick-up the settings from any of the S-Gear MIDI controlled parameters. I hope we can add MIDI Out in an upcoming release, so that it can be activated for any MIDI Controllers that are configured on the S-Gear MIDI screen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: haeckse
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Encoder wheel MIDI controller 3 weeks 1 day ago #25216

@mike, that would be cool, though I doubt it is high priority unless it seem like there is demand.

FYI, Intech Studio's new EN16 provides 16 programmable encoders in a compact package for a LOT less money than the Midi Fighter Twister

intech.studio/shop/en16
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, haeckse
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Encoder wheel MIDI controller 1 week 5 days ago #25247

@soundog
What makes the Midi Fighter more interesting in my opinion are the LEDs arranged in a circle around the encoder, that indicate the actual parameter value. The EN16 only offers RGB LEDs, which, if I understand correctly, are rather intended to represent an encoder mapping through a color.
On the other hand, the Intech controllers are pretty cool because the software is open source and command sets can be easily adapted to the client being controlled via LUA scripts.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds