TOPIC: Expression Pedal and CC mapping in Ableton with S-Gear VST3

Expression Pedal and CC mapping in Ableton with S-Gear VST3 2 weeks 4 days ago #23211

I experimented with Gig Performer 4 and achieved great results for enabling my 2 expression pedals on my FCB1010 to map to different controls in s-gear presets (variable vibrato, amount of gain, etc)

I see how to map the S-Gear preset knobs into Ableton now the question is is there a compatible Ableton Control surface for the FCB1010 or do I need to program the controller using the buttons on the device?

Help much appreciated. I could share my Performer setup if anyone is interested. works well but its a bit pricey.
Humbuckr
Last edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by humbuckr.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Expression Pedal and CC mapping in Ableton with S-Gear VST3 2 weeks 3 days ago #23212

Hello humbuckr,

I am definitely interested in your setup. I OWN Gig Performer 4, but I have yet to actually DO anything with it. And, I have been thinking about getting an FCB1010 for quite a while now. So, maybe your experience with taming this dynamic duo (to work with S-Gear) will motivate me to get off my, well...you know.

My primary DAW is Studio One. It seems to play well with others, but it works best with Presonus branded products.

Thank you,
t_b_o_t
  • the_bear_over_there
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Expression Pedal and CC mapping in Ableton with S-Gear VST3 2 weeks 3 days ago #23213

I’m happy to help with any S-Gear + Gig Performer questions but the forum on the GP site is very helpful too.

There is no one way to set up GP but a lot of people put all their pre and post effects in the global rackspace and then use individual rackspaces for different amp types.

And connecting a foot switch is pretty straightforward.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Expression Pedal and CC mapping in Ableton with S-Gear VST3 2 weeks 3 days ago #23215

Agree with Gig Performer. It is very intuitive. Here's the approach I used:

- I used the global rackspace for my volume pedal only (exprs pedal B). I ended up mapping this to the output level in S-Gear

- I then created separate rackspaces for my s-gear presets

- each of these rackspaces used a unique control for exprs pedal A. e.g. My clean preset (#1) mapped the expression A to the vibrato speed and intensity. I can then dial a variable amount of vibrato for that patch

- i repeated this for the others (e.g. Leslie patch - mapped exp A to the MOD thing depth and rate

- I also put a compressor vst in front of some of the cleaner patch rackspaces

- the wiring path I used was Audio Interface > compressor > S-gear VST3 > To Global Rackspace (My distorted patches don't use a compressor in front of S-Gear)

I used the "learn" capability by actually pressing the buttons on the FCB1010 but ended up just typing in values for the expression pedal limits as it was fasteer and more precise.

Bottom line - Gig performer is a way better solution than Mainstage imo. It is $180 vs $30 but Mainstage is a strange piece of kit.

In a surprising twist I ended up setting up my s-gear live rig using Ableton Live Lite 11. I already had a license for it and it was straightforward to map my s-gear presets to 7 channel striips and I used the 8th for the Ableton Tuner.
Humbuckr
Last edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by humbuckr.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Expression Pedal and CC mapping in Ableton with S-Gear VST3 2 weeks 3 days ago #23216

Thank you qryss and humbuckr for the info! I am an old dog, trying to learn new tricks. As the saying implies, it is not necessarily an easy thing to do. I really value the S-Gear forum. I check it pretty much every day, usually multiple times. I don't often share much, because quite honestly, I don't have that much to share. But I really enjoy reading what those who DO know things, have to say. Thank you for your contributions!

t_b_o_t
  • the_bear_over_there
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Expression Pedal and CC mapping in Ableton with S-Gear VST3 2 weeks 3 days ago #23217

hey Tbot - I too am an old guy with champagne tastes and a beer budget... Why I love S-Gear is for the amazing price/performance value it packs. Being a software only solution my goal is to have a live solution that lets me seamlessly move my guitar rig between my house and gigs/rehearsals.

the FCB1010 is showing its age but once i took the time to learn how to re-program the CC channels on it, it actually is simple to integrate with either Ableton or Gig Performer. (Don't get me started with Mainstage...).

Happy to share what this old dog learned.
Humbuckr
Last edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by humbuckr.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.050 seconds