TOPIC: Midi Commander

Midi Commander 9 months 3 weeks ago #23140

Hi Mike:
I can't seem to program the preset up and down to any buttons. The preset up will assign a cc# with the learn button but nothing on the preset down. Here is a link to it
meloaudio.com/products/meloaudio-midi-co...roller-foot-switches
The 2 buttons on the right hand don't seem to be programmable in the custom 1 or custom 2.
but they do change the pc# banks up and down. So far I have programmed the bottoms 4 buttons to pc# 0,,1,2,3 and then switch with the 2 up and down on the right which will move you up and down the presets by 4 each press. I also have programmed the tuner to button E on the top. Next I will try the top 3 that are left to switch some reverb delay gain on or off. I am playing in a Church Worship band, well actually just the rehearsals at the moment and the bands loves the sound coming from S-Gear on my Macbook M1 Air.
If I might ask you another question. If i have changed all the different mods and then saved them all is there not a way to bring them all back at once with the patch preset or is that what they call scenes. What would you suggest for the best way to do that. The gain on most of the patches all seem to go into the red so I have to adjust the convoluter with some of them.
Thanks PS its 11:17 PM here on Vancouver Island so I guess you are just getting up.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Midi Commander 9 months 3 weeks ago #23142

ralvis wrote:

The preset up will assign a cc# with the learn button but nothing on the preset down. Here is a link to it
meloaudio.com/products/meloaudio-midi-co...roller-foot-switches

The question is, do the Bank Up and Bank Down buttons on the Midi Commander send out Controller messages? or do they only step the Program Change numbers sent by the main switches. This is not clear from reading the website/user manual. However, you managed to get Preset Up working with the top right switch?

The S-Gear Preset Up/Down and Bank Up/Down can respond to any Midi CC command.
ralvis wrote:

If I might ask you another question. If i have changed all the different mods and then saved them all is there not a way to bring them all back at once with the patch preset or is that what they call scenes. What would you suggest for the best way to do that. The gain on most of the patches all seem to go into the red so I have to adjust the convoluter with some of them.

S-Gear won't remember any of the Midi changes unless you save a preset. Also if you change presets, then your foot switch settings won't necessarily reflect until you tap again on the Midi Controller. Does this answer the question?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ralvis
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Midi Commander 9 months 3 weeks ago #23143

You don´t need to use the preset up or down function in s-gear. In s-gear presets are arranged linearly from 000 to 127(? not sure but its a lot). The midi commander will arrange PC in combinations of 4, 5 or 8. Each time you press up or down it will increment by the combination you chose, so the unit will keep sending PC messages linearly.
In a regular function you have a row of presets. If you want to go from preset 03 to 08 you press up and the press the corresponding Program change switch in the moment you want.
The up/down switches will only send midi message if you want to use the up or down switch to go directly to a preset, but it will only send Program change by the increments you choose (4, 5, 8 or 10). For instance, if you configure increments of five, it´ll jump from presets 00 to 05 to 10 to 15... and so on
Hope i´m not being too confusing, but the unit is confusing. I´m still learning to work with it myself. I recomend reading the manual and create a custom profile where you make those decisions and learn as you go.
The midi commander is a great unit with great potencial, but the firmware is a little limiting.
I found that, for me, the best is to have groups of 4program changes and 4CC. That way you can have 4 switches to control delay, reverb, AB amp, tap tempo...
You can use 2 of those switches available for CC message and assign them for preset up/down, but i guess thats redundant ssince you can navigate presets with what you have onboard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
Last edit: 9 months 3 weeks ago by L_C.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Midi Commander 9 months 3 weeks ago #23144

L_C wrote:

You don´t need to use the preset up or down function in s-gear. In s-gear presets are arranged linearly from 000 to 127(? not sure but its a lot). The midi commander will arrange PC in combinations of 4, 5 or 8. Each time you press up or down it will increment by the combination you chose, so the unit will keep sending PC messages linearly.
In a regular function you have a row of presets. If you want to go from preset 03 to 08 you press up and the press the corresponding Program change switch in the moment you want.
The up/down switches will only send midi message if you want to use the up or down switch to go directly to a preset, but it will only send Program change by the increments you choose (4, 5, 8 or 10). For instance, if you configure increments of five, it´ll jump from presets 00 to 05 to 10 to 15... and so on
Hope i´m not being too confusing, but the unit is confusing. I´m still learning to work with it myself. I recomend reading the manual and create a custom profile where you make those decisions and learn as you go.
The midi commander is a great unit with great potencial, but the firmware is a little limiting.
I found that, for me, the best is to have groups of 4program changes and 4CC. That way you can have 4 switches to control delay, reverb, AB amp, tap tempo...
You can use 2 of those switches available for CC message and assign them for preset up/down, but i guess thats redundant ssince you can navigate presets with what you have onboard.

Thanks for the input L_C. Your advice seems good to me.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.057 seconds