TOPIC: Rolls Midi Wizard MP1288- Will this work?

Rolls Midi Wizard MP1288- Will this work? 2 months 4 days ago #21686

Hi everyone, I’m thinking of getting a midi controller- found this vintagey plastic-looking but I don’t mind since planning for home use only. Will this work? Manual says it sends “program change”. What ever that means.. I hope someone can enlighten me in choosing the best foot controller for S-Gear. I have an old Roland FC-100 but have no time to modify the internals because it uses a different plug and voltage.
Many thanks!

www.manualslib.com/manual/389908/Rolls-Mp1288.html
Brain/Heart->Fingers->Gtr >Pedal->Apogee Jam 96K ->Mac->ATH-M50->Ears->and it loops back endlessly ;)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Rolls Midi Wizard MP1288- Will this work? 2 months 4 days ago #21688

Program Change messages will change to specific S-Gear presets.
Control Change messages are used for changing parameters within a preset e.g. switching amp channel, turning delay on/off, changing gain value.

If all you want to do is change S-Gear presets it might be ok. But if you want to have control over more things it’s probably not ideal. From experience, having to program controllers without a software editor can be a pain.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 months 4 days ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Rolls Midi Wizard MP1288- Will this work? 4 weeks 23 hours ago #21865

Thanks for responding. What specific editing program/ software are you referring to? I will. Try to find one.
Brain/Heart->Fingers->Gtr >Pedal->Apogee Jam 96K ->Mac->ATH-M50->Ears->and it loops back endlessly ;)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Rolls Midi Wizard MP1288- Will this work? 3 weeks 6 days ago #21891

I was just meaning that some old foot controllers might not have a software editor, which means you have to program it on the board itself (my experience is with the FCB1010). That's part of the reason why there was a market for the chip modifications and editors being released for the FCB1010.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Rolls Midi Wizard MP1288- Will this work? 3 weeks 5 days ago #21893

One thing to keep in mind when buying older gear like the Roland; old MIDI equipment uses 5-pin DIN jacks, as opposed to newer MIDI equipment which is often only USB. (Some new stuff has both USB and DIN).

If you use the old DIN equipment you also need an interface that will convert DIN MIDI to USB MIDI. Some audio interfaces, for example, include 5-pin DIN jacks.

Also, with vintage MIDI gear, if it had editing software when it was introduced, make sure the editing software has been updated by the manufacturer and still works on today's computer systems. Some of that stuff become obsolete if you need to do any editing of the firmware.
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds