TOPIC: Mapping Alesis VI61 knobs and buttons

Mapping Alesis VI61 knobs and buttons 9 months 4 weeks ago #19111

I apologize for asking such an elemental question, but I can't figure out how to assign these rotary knobs to control the amp's front panel. Is there a midi learn function that I'm missing? I followed the manual, but I'm obviously missing something simple here. S-gear recognizes the keyboard and I can see the midi activity, but I can't make any rotary turn the Gain, for example. All of those buttons are also just screaming to be assigned to presets, as well :) S-Gear is in standalone mode.

Thanks for taking pity on me.
Attachments:
  • RichardinConcert
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 9 months 4 weeks ago by RichardinConcert.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mapping Alesis VI61 knobs and buttons 9 months 4 weeks ago #19112

I also made this Midi Designer project, but I haven't tried to connect it via MidiPort Host yet.
Attachments:
  • RichardinConcert
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mapping Alesis VI61 knobs and buttons 9 months 4 weeks ago #19115

RichardinConcert wrote:

I apologize for asking such an elemental question, but I can't figure out how to assign these rotary knobs to control the amp's front panel. Is there a midi learn function that I'm missing? I followed the manual, but I'm obviously missing something simple here. S-gear recognizes the keyboard and I can see the midi activity, but I can't make any rotary turn the Gain, for example. All of those buttons are also just screaming to be assigned to presets, as well :) S-Gear is in standalone mode.

There is no MIDI learn function, you need to configure a CONTROLLER in the S-GEAR MIDI screen. See the following screenshot:

Make sure that you click the 'ON/OFF' button to enable the controller configuration.
Make sure that you have the correct MIDI 'CC' number.

Does this help?

ps. You seem to be doing pretty well with Midi Designer!
Attachments:
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 9 months 4 weeks ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mapping Alesis VI61 knobs and buttons 9 months 4 weeks ago #19116

Thank you, Mike. I had done everything exactly as you described, but without success. I could see midi coming in on the S-Gear indicator but nothing moved on the panel. Is there something I need to do on the keyboard end? How do I dedicate six keyboard controls to a specific knob on The Duke? I'll try it again later this morning. Thanks again for your help. I perform live all the time using MainStage 3 and iRig Blueboard, but I would rather use S-Gear in standalone mode.

Actually, I would love to use the Midi Designer layout if I can figure out how to make that work. That would be much better to work with while standing up. The space below the amp panel will be filled with preset buttons.
  • RichardinConcert
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mapping Alesis VI61 knobs and buttons 9 months 4 weeks ago #19118

Okay, I finally found the right CC numbers beginning with 20, 21, etc.
So that's good.

Now I'll start working on Midi Designer...
Thanks, Mike.
  • RichardinConcert
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mapping Alesis VI61 knobs and buttons 9 months 4 weeks ago #19121

Just to let everyone know, I was able to successfully map my Wayfarer layout in Midi Designer to my MacBook Pro and I am thrilled. BluePort Host was too problematic so I created a new network to reliably connect iPad and laptop and that works perfectly.
  • RichardinConcert
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mapping Alesis VI61 knobs and buttons 9 months 4 weeks ago #19123

RichardinConcert wrote:

Just to let everyone know, I was able to successfully map my Wayfarer layout in Midi Designer to my MacBook Pro and I am thrilled. BluePort Host was too problematic so I created a new network to reliably connect iPad and laptop and that works perfectly.

Well done! Midi Designer is great, but can be a little tricky to set up. I've used it at some trade shows, also with the network based connectivity. In a busy WIFI environment we experienced delays with MIDI messages. I'd prefer to use a cable if it were possible but I never worked out how to do that.
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 9 months 4 weeks ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mapping Alesis VI61 knobs and buttons 9 months 4 weeks ago #19124

I can only imagine how busy a trade show WIFi would be.
It's almost criminal that Apple has never allowed usb ports on iPads. Instead, they introduced Thunderbolt only on MacBooks and overcharged for their adapters (which you need multiples of). The biggest problem is that they are stiff and heavy, putting a lot of stress on the ports while hanging in the air. Oh well...

Here's a song I wrote and synced to LOTR clips:

My song starts at 1:35.
  • RichardinConcert
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 9 months 4 weeks ago by RichardinConcert.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds