TOPIC: Midi Feedback to External Controllers (Reaper)

Midi Feedback to External Controllers (Reaper) 1 year 2 months ago #18470

Since getting the Behringer X-Touch Mini a few month ago, I've been playing around with a few methods of getting midi feedback sent back to the controller from my DAW of choice, Reaper. I did get something working fairly early on, however it was a pain to set up and also couldn't easily be shared.

So I went back to Reaper scripting, and was able to use a fair bit of code from the Performance View app I have posted about in the past (still a work in progress).

It's been working well, so I have attached it here for anyone who wants to try it.

The script gives you this UI window where you can map from 4 to 24 parameters. These are just the amp parameters (and a few general ones like input/output trim). The script will continuously check the mapped parameter (very lightweight on CPU) and if it detects a change, it will send out the CC and value to the external controller.

The mappings are saved with the Reaper project, so remember to save it once you've set them up!

To install/run the script:
- The script file can be saved anywhere, but it's probably best to keep it in the default Reaper script folder. This can be found by running the Action: Show REAPER resource path in finder.
- From the Actions window there is a ReaScript: Load... button, to locate and select the script file.
- The script will now be permanently displayed in the Actions list, so can be double-clicked to run when needed.
- Also make sure your external controller is enabled as a midi output device in Reaper preferences > Midi devices.

File Attachment:

File Name: S-GearMidiFeedback.zip
File Size: 7 KB
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, hkwijhe
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Midi Feedback to External Controllers (Reaper) 1 year 2 months ago #18552

Today I bought TouchOSC for my iPad to try it as a wireless controller for S-Gear. Using the awesome template created by @klinge and this Reaper script to send the midi feedback back to the iPad/TouchOSC, I was able to get full bi-directional sync of S-Gear and TouchOSC. Other DAWs may do this more easily (haven't tried many) but if you want to use something like TouchOSC you must have the midi feedback or else when you change presets the iPad/TouchOSC doesn't update.

These are the controls I had syncing, using @klinge's TouchOSC layout.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Midi Feedback to External Controllers (Reaper) 1 year 2 months ago #18554

Good result Kierank :thumbs up:
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Midi Feedback to External Controllers (Reaper) 1 year 2 months ago #18556

Great work! I always missed not having midi feedback in TouchOSC. On summer vacation right now but will try it as soon as I get home!

I realise I should try to learn Reaper scripting - so much seems possible (I pretty much changed to Reaper as my host/daw after seeing the potential in your Performance view script).
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds