TOPIC: TouchOSC template

TouchOSC template 1 year 9 months ago #17463

After thinking for a long time if I should buy S-Gear now or wait until the new version came - I finally pulled the trigger and bought my license of S-Gear last week. I directly started out to make a TouchOSC template for controlling amp settings on my iPad. I find that the possibility of changing things easily without having to fiddle with a mouse greatly enhances the experience of using S-Gear.

It is a work in progress and far from complete and far from perfect - but since i saw another question about TouchOSC I thought I could share it with anyone who wants to use it as a starting point. If you make improvements I'd be happy if you share them here!

It looks like this right now:

Notes:
- this requires the TouchOSC software that is available for iOS
- to update the layout and to transfer it to your iOS-device you need the TouchOsc Editor that is available from hexler.net/software/touchosc
- the layout is setup to send MIDI controls on MIDI channel 6
- since I use some extra VSTs before S-Gear there are also some controls for them. They are in the "Pedals" section and setup to send on MIDI channel 5.
- on the S-Gear side you have to setup the mapping of incoming MIDI messages to parameters yourself to make it work - how this is done is expained well in the S-Gear manual

Have fun with it!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, Leijon, asintoras
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by klinge. Reason: Adding attachment as zip
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

TouchOSC template 1 year 9 months ago #17464

Very well done. I will try this software for sure. :good job: :rock out:
The following user(s) said Thank You: klinge
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

TouchOSC template 1 year 9 months ago #17473

Thanks for sharing this Klinge!

I've not tried TouchOSC myself but will also give it a go. The interface you created looks great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: klinge
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

TouchOSC template 1 year 9 months ago #17474

Thanks! If anyone tries it and has suggestions on improvements please post them here too.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

TouchOSC template 1 year 9 months ago #17475

Your layout looks great! I've never used Touch OSC and am definitely curious.

Does this setup send feedback data back to the iPad? E.g if you were also using a foot controller to change settings, would they be synced back to the iPad app?

Thanks.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

TouchOSC template 1 year 9 months ago #17482

I'm not really sure of this. I know that TouchOSC is capable of receiving MIDI/OSC. But I do not think that S-Gear sends any MIDI out when controls in the GUI change. Maybe someone could confirm that this is correct.

If you are running S-Gear in a host (DAW or some performance software like Mainstage or Cantabile) I guess it should be possible to route the incoming foot controller midi from the host to the iPad, but I never tried this so I can't give any specific directions on how to do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds