TOPIC: Which amp model will get me closest to a Hiwatt DR103

Which amp model will get me closest to a Hiwatt DR103 2 months 3 weeks ago #22062

Hi all, first post here.
I've owned S-Gear for about a year now but have only recently started to really spend time with it and experiment. I've tried a few different sims over the years, but S-Gear is the first one I've found that comes close-enough to nailing a real amp sound and player interaction.

As a learning exercise I'm looking to create a reasonable facsimile of a Hiwatt DR103 as a base pedal platform for some Townshend and Gilmour shenanigans!

Current thinking is to match either the Wayfarer or Duke with the RedWirez Hiwatt SE4123 cab IR.
I'm not looking for perfection here - getting a great clean tone is my key priority but if anything can come close to the power amp drive of a DR103 then I'm all ears.

All suggestions welcomed and I'll share my presets should I manage to cobble together something that's close enough.

Cheers
  • BlisterFingers
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by BlisterFingers.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which amp model will get me closest to a Hiwatt DR103 2 months 3 weeks ago #22071

I'd go with either the Wayfarer or Stealer for that. The Duke just doesn't seem right to me, but it might be worth a try. The DR103 has another tube stage b4 the power tubes. The Amp Drive feature should help, but the Stealer Boost switch or Wayfarer Lead channel will filter the high end too much. I'd also leave the Bass Shift switch off for a deep punch. The DR103 has a mid scoop you can't really get rid of so you'd want to set the Middle knob down somewhat. AFAIK, DR103 output transformers are full range, so you might want to set the Tweak section HiCut down all the way and work from there. They are also pretty "fast" amps, so I'd set the "Sag" fairly low. The amp section will be cleaner, but the punch may be a bit much depending on your other settings. I have a Stealer "Bold 1" preset that's rather HiWatty.

I owned a 70's era HiWatt Custom 100 1x12 combo some four decades ago. I haven't tried the RedWirez HiWatt SE4123 cab, but those Fane speakers have an odd sort of "muted" high end, while still having a relatively piercing ~3kHz. If you aren't dead set on that IR, you might try some other options. EVM12L's work well with a HiWatt type sound. The Scuffham "1x12 California Combo S12L" might do if the open-back sound works for you. I think RedWirez has a 4x12 with EVM12L's. I really like their 4x12 G12H30-55Hz "Blackback" cab IR. Those are a bit less middy than the EVM12L, while being equally full sounding with a more British character -- great mixed with 75Hz Greenback types for more mid punch and bite. I also got the 4x12 JBL K120 cab. Those are very full and tight speakers with a dip in the harsh 3kHz range and a bit less high end than D120's, which also mix quite well with Greenbacks to fill in the midrange. It's a nice setup, but more "metallic" than the G12H30-55Hz. Careful mic choice and placement will give a balanced response with the least ~3kHz emphasis. I can share my cab presets if you opt for those IR's. Looks like RedWirez no longer offers individual cab IR's, so you have to choose which you want from the ones I mentioned in either bundle. The Blackbacks come with the Fanes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, BlisterFingers
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone King
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which amp model will get me closest to a Hiwatt DR103 2 months 2 weeks ago #22073

Thanks for the question. This is of interest to me as well.

I actually have a 1971 DR103 but I haven’t played it at volume for years now - it’s just too loud and I don’t play live so much any more. When I did play it I used it very much as an amp for pedals and almost never played it clean so I’m not sure I even know anymore what the actual amp sounds like. Crazy, I know. I’ve been meaning to take into a rehearsal space to crank it up a bit but haven’t. COVID got in the way of that plan.

I hadn’t appreciated it had a noticeable mid scoop (thanks @gckelloch for that info). I followed that up and found this which presents a frequency plot of a Hiwatt tone stack (presumably from a 103) with a Fender and a Dumble (with its switched voicing) tone stack for comparison.

www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/index.php?topic=13816.0

You can see the sharp cut is around 350Hz (which is pretty much the frequency of the top open E string).
The following user(s) said Thank You: BlisterFingers
Last edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by qryss.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which amp model will get me closest to a Hiwatt DR103 2 months 2 weeks ago #22074

Thank you for the very thoughtful replies. It looks like I picked a challenging learning exercise :)
I'll do some testing and probably lots of head scratching this week and report back.
  • BlisterFingers
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Which amp model will get me closest to a Hiwatt DR103 2 months 2 weeks ago #22077

I didn't know the HiWatt tone stack was even more scooped than Fender. Turning the Treble way down between 0~1 will nearly flatten the response out, but with some lower mid dip. Adjusting the Middle knob then has the affect of shifting the upper-mid peak up or down from 2~10kHz. The HiWatt tone stack is unique in that respect. You can download the Duncan TSC app to see how various tone stacks affect the response. It should be useful for when you finally plug it in.

I used to run mine with just two power tubes (Sylvania 6CA7) in the center sockets for years with no problem. It makes it 3dB more bearable anyway. You just need to set the impedance switch to half the speaker load to get the right load on the tubes. Man, that thing sounded like an angry bear when cranked. I still have dreams that I find it in a storage space, and it needs major work.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds