TOPIC: Ethical Question on IR copyright

Ethical Question on IR copyright 1 week 6 days ago #20593

If I create a preset using ,for example a Celestion IR that I purchased legally, then exported it so that another Forum member could import it, would the Celestion IR be included with the preset?
If so, this Celestion IR would appear in his list of IR's when he goes to the Impulse folder.
And he can use it illegally in other Presets.
Am I barking up the right tree?
If the Celestion IR is not included in my exported Preset, then what Cab will appear in his Pro Convolver?
I know Mike will have the answer.
I have attached a preset with a SUHR cab IR that I bought yesterday so those who are interested can have a go at importing this Preset to see if the Suhr cab appears in their IR list.
Attachments:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ethical Question on IR copyright 1 week 6 days ago #20594

LDE1949 wrote:

If the Celestion IR is not included in my exported Preset, then what Cab will appear in his Pro Convolver?
No, it'll just show an empty space.

BTW, all you wanna know about this subject's explained in great detail in S-Gear's manual.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LDE1949
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ethical Question on IR copyright 1 week 5 days ago #20596

Another thought has come to mind...........
If another member imports my preset with the legit Celestion IR and he likes it enough to use it, then to continue getting the benefit of this preset [which includes the Celestion IR sound], he can modify other aspects of this Preset eg a different Amp, Delay thing, Room thing etc while still enjoying the effect of the legit Celestion cab !!
Am I correct?
I know this is a rather obtuse view and a little extreme, and I may be overthinking things...........but I really would like to know if this is the way IR's work in S-Gear :-)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ethical Question on IR copyright 1 week 5 days ago #20597

LDE1949 wrote:

If I create a preset using ,for example a Celestion IR that I purchased legally, then exported it so that another Forum member could import it, would the Celestion IR be included with the preset?

S-Gear doesn't export IR data so there is no question of proliferating unlicensed third party IR's.

A preset with a User Impulse will contain a special identifier for the User Impulse. If you export/import a preset with a User IR, then the target machine must also have the same IR available, otherwise you will see a 'missing impulse' message as noted by LtKojak.

I hope this answers the question!

Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ethical Question on IR copyright 1 week 4 days ago #20602

Thanks Mike, I guessed there would be an answer to prevent accidental use of third party IRs.
I have been using S-Gear for 2 weeks now and have purchased a copy of this fantastic software.
Like other users, I am eagerly anticipating the next release :-)
Cheers
Derek
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ethical Question on IR copyright 1 week 10 hours ago #20611

If you export/import a preset with a User IR, then the target machine must also have the same IR available, otherwise you will see a 'missing impulse' message as noted by LtKojak.

I'm guessing it would have to be in the same path too. (?)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ethical Question on IR copyright 1 week 8 hours ago #20612

jbraner wrote:

If you export/import a preset with a User IR, then the target machine must also have the same IR available, otherwise you will see a 'missing impulse' message as noted by LtKojak.

I'm guessing it would have to be in the same path too. (?)

S-Gear doesn't track the IR source paths. Rather it makes a copy of the IR file when you import. That copy is held in the S-Gear impulses folder. If you are migrating from one machine to another, you can copy the entire impulses folder to save having to re-import impulses. See the files & folders page in support for the paths.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ethical Question on IR copyright 1 week 6 hours ago #20613

Looks like NOBODY ever wants to read the manual... :frustrated:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds