TOPIC: u2 still haven't found what I'm looking for

u2 still haven't found what I'm looking for 1 month 4 days ago #19922

So I use Sgear for practising songs for my cover band , it's more practical than taking out the pedalboard etc.
Some songs I use the factory presets(some of them are great) but for I others I make some custom presets, this is one of them.

The classic u2, song still haven't found what I'm looking for(from Joshua Tree, their best album...the only one of their discography I truly enjoy ;) ).

As everybody knows there is no Vox emulation on Sgear (sad face emoji) but I tried to my best to get a chimey patch with the duke amp.

Some things you should take in consideration to get the most out of this patch.Use a Strat! Im being a bit captain obvious here, but you really need one to get close to the sound(bridge and middle position for that Strat "quack" sound).

Also, while it might not seem that relevant in my opinion the guitar pick used does add to the sound.Edge is famous for using those blue Herdim picks.I don't have those because they aren't available at stores where I live, and i can only get them online and the prices just don't justify for playing just a U2 song(but if your an Edge fan you really have to get them).

Instead I use dunlop nylon picks, while they aren't exactly the same as the herdim they do the trick.Use them sideways like the Edge does to get that raspy pick sound.

The original recoding is played in standard tuning with a capo in the fourth fret.

I like to use the patch with a DAW to use some adicional compression, also some people say you have to use a parallel delay on this song (in my band I do use a Timeline with a parallel delay) but I really like the delay sound I achieved on this patch(I guess there's really no right way).

I reckon I would get much closer If I had an Vox amp emulation, but for now we have to work with the available tools :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, orda3000, ryentzer
Last edit: 1 month 1 day ago by sun7.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

u2 still haven't found what I'm looking for 1 month 3 days ago #19934

Haven't tried it yet, but I recorded a backtrack for this song before and the importance of the raspy edge on a pick is underrated to get that sound.

I just use a very worn pick after lots of heavy string scrapping (Van Halen) to get something closer. Actually, the Duke was able to get real close to the original sound with the British VOX cabs and a strat, of course!
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

u2 still haven't found what I'm looking for 1 month 3 days ago #19937

asintoras wrote:

Haven't tried it yet, but I recorded a backtrack for this song before and the importance of the raspy edge on a pick is underrated to get that sound.

I just use a very worn pick after lots of heavy string scrapping (Van Halen) to get something closer. Actually, the Duke was able to get real close to the original sound with the British VOX cabs and a strat, of course!

Im no u2 expert by any means(I really just like one album like I said), but while playing covers I like to get close to the original sound(as close as possible with the gear available).To me the pick is really a part of that sound.It just sounds a bit off with out it.

It's the only time during the set I change picks(for this one and the Streets have no name).

Very simple song to play, but kudos to the Edge for crafting such a cool song.

Ps: Sgear is such a great tool for learning covers and practising.Iv'e been with the plugin since it's initial release, and excluding my guitars it's the bit of gear(because i considered it a part of my gear) I got most bang for the buck(or Euro in my case :) )!Still the best amp plugin out there.
Last edit: 1 month 3 days ago by sun7.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

u2 still haven't found what I'm looking for 2 days 11 hours ago #20064

Excellent patch. Tried and it is working great. Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: sun7
Sambob
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds