TOPIC: Eric Johnson 'Zenland'

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16871

Hi folks,

I'm very pleased to be able to post a superb cover version of Eric Johnson's 'Zenland' along with S-GEAR presets used in the recording. See the following website article:

www.scuffhamamps.com/news/product-news/93-zenland

This is the work of S-GEAR user David Hardy. David sent me this tune and preset a few weeks ago and I was really impressed with just how well he'd been able to capture the Eric Johnson sound. The presets are great fun, they actually make you play like EJ :lol:

David, thanks again for sharing your work. I hope you are now on top of the clean-up post Hurricane Irma. Best wishes! Thanks also to EJ and management for giving us permission to post the cover version and presets.

Cheers,
Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightWalker, fatherjacques, frazzetoth, mr-es335, psklaroff, ges, Gosha-747, Psace, swaite, concerto777
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16872

Wow! Really well done.

I look forward to try the preset :good job: :rock out:
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16873

Thanks for sharing the good stuff, Mike. :rock out:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16874

This looks amazing..I'm looking forward to trying them out tonight!

Thanks Mike and David! :-)
  • psklaroff
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16875

He is using many different amps and I think 6 different presets. It shows that all amps are good when you know what to do with them.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16876

I thought his production note was very interesting. Has anyone else tried this?

"One interesting thing I discovered was by splitting the output of my strat and sending one output direct to my DAW and the other to my Fender Pro Junior turned full up, that by having the Strat's pickup interact with the amp it added those same characteristics to the direct signal being recorded to my DAW.

When I then processed that recorded direct signal with S-Gear, it added that magic mojo that you can hear between 1min 12 sec to 1min 20sec. There's a distinct GROWL and FEEDBACK that I'm not sure I could have achieved otherwise. I only used this technique for that short 8 second segment, so everything else is pure S-gear.....Strat plugged into the interface with with a little bit of the Eventide H910 plugin. To be clear, the Fender Pro Junior was not mic'd or recorded."
  • electromatic
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16877

That... was... EPIC!!!!

No my cup of tea in the genre of music, but it's so well made, played and produced that I just can't avoid to give a ginormous thumbs up.

Thank you for sharing, Mike, specially the presets.

To David Hardy: keep up the good work!

Yours very truly,
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16878

Sounds fantastic!

Will give these presets a try as soon as I can.
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16879

Zenland' is posted here with kind permission of EJ and management team.

This says a lot about the Artist
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16880

electromatic wrote:

I thought his production note was very interesting. Has anyone else tried this?

"One interesting thing I discovered was by splitting the output of my strat and sending one output direct to my DAW and the other to my Fender Pro Junior turned full up, that by having the Strat's pickup interact with the amp it added those same characteristics to the direct signal being recorded to my DAW.

When I then processed that recorded direct signal with S-Gear, it added that magic mojo that you can hear between 1min 12 sec to 1min 20sec. There's a distinct GROWL and FEEDBACK that I'm not sure I could have achieved otherwise. I only used this technique for that short 8 second segment, so everything else is pure S-gear.....Strat plugged into the interface with with a little bit of the Eventide H910 plugin. To be clear, the Fender Pro Junior was not mic'd or recorded."
You can achieve similar results recording guitar while monitoring through good monitoring speakers instead of headphones. Part of that "amp in the room" sound is the physical interaction between the speaker output and the guitar strings. Leaving this out does change how the guitar sounds, sustains and feels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16881

That was some killer tonez.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 4 weeks ago #16882

Not a thing wrong with that! Thanks for sharing all of that work.
  • clintmartin
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 3 weeks ago #16887

NIce presets. It also reminds me again of how good the Redwirez IRs still are.
  • clintmartin
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 3 weeks ago #16889

Wow,such a great performance, I listened to it all day yesterday out in my shop. Over and over.Love the presets, thank you so much for sharing. Thank David Hardy for me.

When the next big update comes, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if David crafted a few presets!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 3 weeks ago #16915

btw: I've been using the Zenland Clean Choruses patch on Sting's "Fortress Around Your Heart." Sounds great! :thumbs up:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Eric Johnson 'Zenland' 2 years 3 weeks ago #16938

I would like to thank Mike for posting this track and for developing such an amazing product. Also, much appreciation for the kind comments from the posters in this thread.
Does anyone here know the exact delay settings EJ uses on the clean chain that feeds his Fender amp setup? Here's the pedal board diagram from his website ericjohnson.com/images/amps/ejrigjbds.jpg
There are two delays in line with a chorus: Electro Harmonix Memory Man > Boss DD2 > TC Chorus Flanger
I had to approximate the settings I used based on various photos of his pedal boards. There seems to be no info from interviews or articles that explains this detail.
Finally, I would like to dedicate this track to the memory of Billy Maddox, the drummer of the original recording, who tragically died defending his family from an intruder into their home. My wife and I were the beneficiaries of a random act of kindness from Billy. We were on our way to purchase tickets for Eric Johnson at the House Of Blues in Orlando when we happened to cross paths with him. We asked if he would sign our CD, which he did, then he asked us if we would like Eric to sign it. He hurried off back to the tour buses and returned the CD with all the band member signatures. It's something that will always stay with me. I tried to capture the essence of his style when programming the drums for this track. God Bless his soul.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, asintoras, Psace
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds