• Page:

TOPIC: Lookng for a specific Dumble tone

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 8 months ago #12882

Looking for this tone from S-Gear...is it possible?
  • Robert Smallwood
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 8 months ago #12884

Ditto
  • danielrhoden1
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 8 months ago #12885

Robert Smallwood wrote:

Looking for this tone from S-Gear...is it possible?
Without knowing what guitar with what p'ups you've got, nobody can even try an somewhat educated guess... try again! ;)
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 8 months ago #12886

He went through a lot of tones in that video so I assume that you're looking to emulate the entire amp. If it were me I'd start with the Wayfarer amp and tweak to taste depending upon which of those tones you're hunting for. If you're only after a certain type of sound please let us know the section of that video to concentrate on.

It's a popular amp to lust after so I'm sure others will have suggestions.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 8 months ago #12887

Hello,

At 1:07, a pedal is being used. It may be a distortion or an overdrive pedal of some sort. Then the guitarist switches over the neck pickup. So, what you are hearing is not really the Dumble, unless you can, as Elambo stated, what part of the video is of your primary interest.

So, Marshall cab with what looks to be a single 12.

There are points during the video where you can see all of the amp settings.

Presence: 0
Master: 1
Overdrive Volume: 7
Overdrive Content(?): 6.5
Bass: 3.2
Middle: 3.2
Treble: 5.3
Rock/Jazz switch: Jazz
Mid switch: Enabled
Bright switch: Disabled
Volume: 7.2

It is difficult to know the mic positioning however.

Have a peep at the attached...I just set this up, no testing at all:

File Attachment:

File Name: PeterLercheDumbleODS-100.sfx
File Size: 395 KB
Attachments:
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 8 months ago #12888

He wasn't using any pedals. That was the footswitch to engage the overdrive section of the amp. All of the tones are 100% Dumble, and that amp was made to his specs. And the pickups are HB's.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Macaroni.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 8 months ago #12890

I'm interested in the distortion tones and I play a Les Paul with paf's. Really any high gain Dumble sound is something I'm interested in. Rather than discuss semantics I'd rather just see what you use for "that" tone.

Here's another Dumble tone I appreciate.

• Robert Smallwood
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 8 months ago #12891

I'm not trying to be funny, but saying "that" tone - is semantics
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 8 months ago #12892

Robert Smallwood wrote:

Really any high gain Dumble sound is something I'm interested in. Rather than discuss semantics I'd rather just see what you use for "that" tone.

The Wayfarer is what I reach for first.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 7 months ago #12980

i used two minutes to turn the pots of Duke to roughly same position and the result is long way same as
Lurch's Dumble on that video, Duke is very similar to Dumble sound wise.

ok, i had strat, so no humbuckers.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr-es335, Robert Smallwood
  • Aristoteles D
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Aristoteles D.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 3 years 7 months ago #12981

same sound but just added chorus

so closer to tommy simmons tone
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mr-es335, Robert Smallwood
  • Aristoteles D
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Aristoteles D.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 2 years 11 months ago #14466

I downloaded this preset - and used it with the Custom 57 amp instead of the Duke to use as a clean sound.... Interesting,
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 2 years 1 month ago #16351

Hello,

It "appears" that his preset is actually a bank...so you have to use the Bank Import function.

Therefore, make sure you back up your entire bank beforehand.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 2 years 1 month ago #16355

mr-es335 wrote:

It "appears" that his preset is actually a bank
No, it isn't. I got both "LerchODSDumble" presets correctly installed and working by first pushing the "Presets" button, then the "Import" button. Worked like a charm!

HTH,
Last edit: 2 years 1 month ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 1 year 2 months ago #18558

I could be wrong..This is my first time with slate less alone not micing an amp but I left my studio to work at home and after 11 I really cant crank amps.

TO be honest with you well there are two distinct Dumble tones. THe steel stringer (SRV) and welll the very popular and my fav. but dont have a spare 50k around so I got a fuchs Dumble ODS tone.

Ive only been here one day and Im impressed. No doubt in a mix you can fake an ODS but really lets think about this. What gives Dumble a great tone. ITs just a great amp type that allows you to go from a clean natural undriven fender to volume up to rich harmonic sustain and is extremely responsive. I could be wrong and I know you can get something good in your final mix but I serious doiubt you could get a real Vibrolux or Fender Twin Reverb (all clean amp) tone with a sim. An ODS is extremely responsive so its the player that makes it sound good because its so responsive. Amp sims are not responsive. I think maybe Id take my Fuchs or my Fender Twin and mic them during the day or early evening and then use slate over top and maybe I can can it with the roll back. I mean were talking about a tone thats not hard to get with a tube amp and a pedal but an amp sim alone? I doubt it..I hope Im wrong but maybe if you reamp with a real amp and if you can dial up and down the volume like you can on a Dumble or a Vibroluxe. I mean can anyone here create a Twin Reverb tone that sounds like one? Or a Vibroluxe? I think the only way, is to add some drive for break up but bnot a pure clean tube tone by itself. I think you have to reamp with a real amp or use an amp clean and try to mimic from there. You need the feel to get the tone is what Im saying. Stilll I like slate so far. Really cool and Im glad I found this forum because well I dont know what the hell Im doing just yet...lol.

If you cangt afford a Dumble clone..There are great pedals with a tube amp that will get you closer than you think. But I doubt an any amp sim will have it without micing first. I mean I hope im wrong I really do. Thanks for the Sims. Your good at it. I downloaded some of your others today. I will surely do the same when I get heavily into it. How do you add responsiveness in direct out? I don't think it can be done. Still this is great. I can definately work later and Im very happy with this. I may build mine with a all clean BF fender twin miced and then try to convert tones over top when its not late at night. Maybe when I get good I can make a dumble clone or a vibroluxe using a clean amp miced. The only amp I ever owned that had good built in cab sim was this carvin legacy. It sounded the same going straight in and I own a Hughes and Ketner with built in redbox and its still not the same as micing. Im gonna try both ways...Good luck with getting that ODS tone!!! I mean can you roll back and then up to the point where its like violin sustain with rich harmonics just by plugging in? If so how the hell do you do that with any amp sim? :)
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Maestro.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 11 months 1 week ago #18910

Thats a Dumble Overdrive Supreme. ODS.

Its a black face Fender clean to wats called the WOMAN tone. Its pretty similar to an extremely rich and touch sensitivie harmonically rich gain similar to a violin type sustain. The other Dumble tone is SSS which is more stevie Ray. Ill try these and maybe Im the odd man out here but I dont think you can achieve a Dumble tone without using a real tube amp. I own a Fuchs ODS and played glassworks and other clones. The closest to ODS gain with a pedal or something would be like a Zen type drive if that helps.

I think amps sims are fine as long as your using it with FX but to get a real tube tone quality straight up BF clean to woman...you need a tube amp. That being said maybe you guys can emulate something similar...I don't know but the oly way your gonna get these tone types without an amp is like maybe buying a Kemper or something. nd even then Im not entirely certain.

Hes also right..The guy did not put on an OD switch that was a foot pedal. Ive seen this video before. Were talking about a 50k amp minimum. an you even get harmonic sustain or raw feedback sustain thats realistic through software alone? Im skeptical.

That being said, Im sure if you guys can emulate zen drive that would be close enough on the gain side. If you truly can get BF 67 Vibrolux or ibroking clean without dressing it with FX...Id be really impressed! Ill try the comments below..Im a tad skeptical in regards to sll amp sims particularly when it comes from bringing out tones you have to achive from a tube amp. If you can....Id be really impressed!!!!!

Dont get me wrong..Im all for it. Id love to have that feel and tone to work with. I am not sginst amp sims either. Im about to explore this further now for the 5th time. I just don't see how its possible.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 11 months 1 week ago #18911

Please show me my 67 Vibrolux. Ill give you a sample if it helps. I dont think it can be done.
Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Maestro.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 11 months 1 week ago #18912

I think it depends on context. When you play a tube amp mic'd up in a room, you have to turn it up pretty loud to get on the edge of breakup. You and your guitar hear and feel that power, and that's going to sound and feel good. Contrast this with an amp sim played through headphones. That can be loud, but there's no power. You and your guitar don't feel the punch from the cabinet. The guitar isn't as responsive because there's no acoustical feedback with the amp and cabinet. So we tend to compensate for this by adding more distortion. That's easy to do with an amp sim because you have complete control over the drive and volume. More distortion means you're taking up more bandwidth in the mix, but still not getting the punch.

If you run that same amp sim through a FRFR that can move air, turn it up, and turn the gain/drive down, you might find it sounds closer to a real amp.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 11 months 3 days ago #18946

That's great perspective about what you get in each scenario but for now can you tell me the settings, preset or otherwise based off a preset or on the fly of Jerry Stevenson's performance of "Noodles with the Duke"?
  • rocketail
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Lookng for a specific Dumble tone 11 months 2 days ago #18947

Hi
I had a look back through my projects for you but I'm afraid that 'Noodles' was done with an early pre-release build of S-Gear and it doesn't seem to load up with the latest version so I can't check the settings.
However, the 'Liontone' preset which appears in the factory presets is pretty close. If you listen to the 'Dancing With Lions' demo you'll hear the similarity. The Duke is very transparent though, so your guitar and pickups will have a big effect on the end result. I think I used a custom guitar with low-ish powered PAF style humbuckers. I'm not a fan of heavily wound pickups as a rule.
I hope you find your sound- I'm sure it's in there!
Best Wishes
Jerry
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds