TOPIC: ‘True’ stereo operation

‘True’ stereo operation 2 weeks 5 hours ago #21773

There are several threads that allude to this (or to dual mono) but I couldn’t find one that expressly requested it as a feature.

I put other plugins in front of S-Gear in a host (Gig Performer as it happens) and some of those are stereo - rotary speakers, delays, etc - but that gets put back to mono by the input to S-Gear.

With Gig Performer, I can of course have two instances of S-Gear - one for left and one for right - but this is more cumbersome to set up and probably uses more CPU cycles (precious in my older Mac mini).

So the request is for S-Gear to have two separate channels through each amp to preserve a stereo input signal right through to the output.
Last edit: 2 weeks 5 hours ago by qryss.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

‘True’ stereo operation 1 week 6 days ago #21784

I would love that as well!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

‘True’ stereo operation 1 week 3 days ago #21797

I just had a try of this (new S-Gear user and haven't fully got my head round it all yet) and you are correct - but did you realise that you can activate both the L and the R inputs and it then preserves stereo through the plugin? I tried it with a mon signal through a 'widening' plugin and then in to S-Gear. I put a stereo scope either side of S-Gear. By default, the stereo signal in to S-Gear comes out mono (with no FX in S-Gear active), but if you activate the L and R inputs then stereo in = stereo out.

I think that is what you are looking for, but might have misread the question!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

‘True’ stereo operation 1 week 3 days ago #21800

speed12 wrote:

but if you activate the L and R inputs then stereo in = stereo out.

The S-Gear amp sums to mono, regardless of the input settings. It's easiest to check by using a pan plugin pre S-Gear so you can pan fully left or right, which will highlight this.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

‘True’ stereo operation 1 week 3 days ago #21801

Ah sorry, yes - I realised I was testing it with the amp and cab disabled as was just playing around with the FX; that explains it.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

‘True’ stereo operation 1 week 2 days ago #21805

Please help me understand why and when you would want or need this.

When using guitar amps in performance or in the recording studio, you normally feed a mono guitar signal into the amp, and then add any stereo effects (reverb, room effects, delays, rotary, etc) after the mono out. Yes, there are some guitarists who split their guitar input into two amps, but that is usually for tonal "amp sound" variety or stage coverage, and in this case any stereo effects are also normally added after the amp.
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds