TOPIC: New feature: preset 'scenes' or 'snapshots‘

New feature: preset 'scenes' or 'snapshots‘ 4 days 18 hours ago #21581

I feel so strongly that this would be an awesome addition to S-Gear, that I've done a mockup :)
I hope to get some support in order to convince Mike!

I've played around with this concept in the Reaper performance view scripts I did a while back, and it's also similar to a feature I remember from my Helix Native trial. Why I did the mockup is because I think it fits perfectly with the current S-Gear design and left-panel structure.

Basically, it's the ability to store some basic variations to your preset and give them a name e.g. Clean, Crunch, Lead (or whatever you want). You would specify which parameters you want to store/recall as part of your 'scene', and every other parameter would act as a global preset setting. There may be a limit of how many scenes you can have per preset (e.g. maximum of 8 ).

Common use cases would be to change the gain, amp channel, or turn delay/reverb on or off. But you could take it further and add a number of parameters to your scenes to make subtle (or not so subtle) changes.

The Midi learn page would also include the ability to assign a different CC number to each scene, to make it easy to switch to specific scenes using your foot controller. There would also be a plugin/automation parameter for scenes, so you could change them in your DAW.

Hi-res screenshot

Why I want this:
  • Many of my presets are similar, with only slight variations. This feature will allow me to greatly streamline my presets and make changes while in the preset without needing to midi learn a large number of parameters.
  • It will work easily with my foot controller, where I can have 2 foot switches dedicated to preset up/down and then a separate foot switch for each scene. I plan on commonly using 'Clean/Crunch/Lead' as my default scenes.
  • I can make much more use of the awesome 'Stage 1 bypass' setting for RoomThing and DelayThing, which allows you to switch them off but still get the reverb/delay tails to finish without cutting them off.
  • Once we get DriveThing added in 3.0, there will really be too many parameters to individually control using your midi controller, so this feature will make things much easier as you can change a number of parameters at once.

My current workaround is to use S-Gear within Gig Performer, which gives me some of these abilities. But I know a lot of people like to use S-Gear standalone, and this will really benefit them.
@mike, new feature for 3.0? ;)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, fatherjacques
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 4 days 17 hours ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

New feature: preset 'scenes' or 'snpashots' 4 days 18 hours ago #21582

Having scenes would be awesome. This is what I like the most in the Helix Native software. However I don't use Helix as I prefer S Gear :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kierank
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

New feature: preset 'scenes' or 'snapshots‘ 2 days 19 hours ago #21606

Great post kierank. I like the layout and the logic behind the feature. I'm interested to dig into this a little but without making any promises!

So does the scene 'learn' the parameter variations as they are applied? Or do you have to use the menu system? And is the persistence immediate? or do you need to save the scene?

(Off Topic) : By the way, this type of mock-up is exactly how I would initially experiment with a new GUI idea. I'm particularly interested (at the moment) in managing devices and device presets (or device Factory Presets).
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

New feature: preset 'scenes' or 'snapshots‘ 2 days 18 hours ago #21609

Thanks Mike.

Yes, the scene parameter value would automatically update based on your changes in the amp/rack UI.
I think saving individual scenes would get confusing very quickly, so my thought was to keep it simple and have the changes persist immediately, and the concept of saving would be bound to saving of the preset.

Not sure if it would be helpful, but simple things like a per-scene or global 'parameter lock' (lock icon above the parameter values) could be used if anyone wanted to ensure the parameters don't get changed. Or alternatively, they can be changed but will always revert back to the locked values if you move to another scene and then back again. Haven't quite thought this one through!

Attachments:
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 days 17 hours ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.373 seconds