TOPIC: Ability to load reverbIR in the room thing

Ability to load reverbIR in the room thing 3 months 3 weeks ago #19383

I think this would be a warm welcome. What do you guys think?
I know I can load in reverbs in the convolver. so, in that case it would be nice to be able to load more convolvers as well.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by Dallon426.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ability to load reverbIR in the room thing 3 months 3 weeks ago #19389

The S-GEAR convolver is designed to be processor efficient with typical cabinet IR's and hence there is a 20,000 sample limit to the IR processing (allowing just under 1/2 second length at 44.1KHz). Longer reverb IR's require multi-threaded processing and this is something I wanted to avoid with the S-GEAR convolver.

If you are using a longer IR for resonance and a shorter IR for cab emulation, you could load each channel of the convolver correspondingly then pan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dallon426
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ability to load reverbIR in the room thing 3 months 3 weeks ago #19391

Just out of curiosity. Why would you want to avoid multi-threaded processing? Thanks Mike
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ability to load reverbIR in the room thing 3 months 3 weeks ago #19396

Dallon426 wrote:

Just out of curiosity. Why would you want to avoid multi-threaded processing? Thanks Mike
Less inherent latency by employing less time-consuming CPU cycles, multiplied by each multi-threading core. S-Gear is the actual world champion of CPU efficiency, and looks like Mike would pretty much like to keep it that way. ;)
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ability to load reverbIR in the room thing 3 months 3 weeks ago #19400

True that. Also, multithreading is less predictable/stable -- you're relying on each core to update with its calculations at a given time but that doesn't always happen. DAWs are complex, and finicky, and often not well-coded, so when you start letting data into multiple areas you're not necessarily improving speed but adding complications. Theoretically, yes, this should be faster, but we've learned from (for example) the benefits of turning OFF multithreading in ProTools that standard *physical* processors are sometimes better at math than doubling the fun with virtual cores.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Ability to load reverbIR in the room thing 2 months 1 week ago #19638

Coming from an older computer, I love S-Gear's lower CPU load. Lets me run more tracks unfrozen :)
Exact Science is Not an Exact Science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds