TOPIC: What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #12422

I haven't opened S-Gear in a while because I've been using bass guitar 99% of the time so right now I'm using a bass amp plugin from UAD. I would like to see a bass amp plug or some kind of bass patch for S-Gear because right now My S-Gear app is currently collecting dust.
  • Carrollina
  • Tone Seeker
Carolina with 2 r's and 2 L's
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #12424

Carrollina wrote:

I would like to see a bass amp plug or some kind of bass patch for S-Gear because right now My S-Gear app is currently collecting dust.
No need to. Just pass your bass through The Jackal clean, done!

HTH,
The following user(s) said Thank You: davidpem
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #12464

Since we're asking I'd like a VOX AGA30 type of amplifier for acoustic guitar that has a nice tube channel and a sleek and easy to use interface. I love electric but also acoustic.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #12512

Maybe a Friedman BE100 alike amp, Stealer is great but when you need a bit more of gain for a top notch hard rock tone, it is not enough.

And Maybe unlimited number of Banks, ¿why having only 10? :)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #12513

mohi wrote:

Stealer is great but when you need a bit more of gain for a top notch hard rock tone, it is not enough.

did you try to put a pedal or booster before sgear input?

on my daw i have a vst pedal "oligarc drive" ... i put the input of the oligarc drive 3 o'clock or 4 o'clock ...before sgear input .... and if you add the push buttom from the stealer plus the boost option.. man its gain for ages...
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
and music is life.... live the life... and feel the music...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #12515

I tried in fact the TSE 808 overdrive, but it adds some of its own characteristics to the tone, and it is not what I'm looking for. Will give a try to the one you mention, I'd like to have a something very much alike the UAD Friedman, that is killer in the high gain tones, just like the Stealer in low to medium ones.

thanks!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #12516

imo the oligarc can sound very clean... or very distorted..you decide...

i think that normally od pedals have a tone and colors the sound..sometimes we don't want to see the color side on our tone.

the oligarc drive can give a clean boost to the input of sgear in a nice and pleasant way since helps to overdrive the amp... and you benefit from listen to how the amp sounds and not the pedal.. i have the same opinion just like a user posted in another forum.. in 2008..

"I just tried these, the phaser and chorus are really lush, and really sound like analog pedals. The phaser is especially good. The overdrive is really clean, almost like a pickup/gain booster without too much character, but can drive a fender twin ampsim into breakup without too much audible distortion really letting the amp's tone come through and not the pedal. "

i normally use it with input crancked.... but right now..im finding the overdrive knob can give such a nice tone if you use it with the input all together... the loigarc drive was a nice add to my guitar related tools...for me it was like rediscovering the amps inside sgear... shows the true face of the amps... and you have a gain range that is more than enough ..and you can benefit from the diferent sweet spots of the stealer with the bright contour knob....i love it at 3.8 ....at least imo...
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #12517

Oligarc Drive does have a nice rich sound, but I wouldn't say it doesn’t colour the sound. Any high gain effect will have some filtering, whether it's b4 the gain stage or integrated to react like a tube circuit. My guess is Oligarc filters dynamically, somewhat like a tube circuit. It seems less filtered than a TS pedal, but TS pedals mix some of the dry signal in for bass punch and high end clarity, so it's a different “beast”. I like it though. The added harmonics of the Feedback and smoother output Brick Wall switches are useful variations. Like any gain effect, the input is essential to the attack character.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12521

mohi wrote:

Maybe a Friedman BE100 alike amp, Stealer is great but when you need a bit more of gain for a top notch hard rock tone, it is not enough.

A Friedman BE 100 like amp would be great! Above all, the dynamics of the original are excellent.

I have played no other amp that responds so well to the volume knob.
  • workingtitle
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12526

I can't wait to see what Mike has in store for us! :gripped:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12527

GCKelloch wrote:

Like any gain effect, the input is essential to the attack character.

i like to set the input around 3 o'clock .... drive the amp really nice...

if we take a look at input gain stage im experimenting with the audio interface input stage... and guitar volume knob...

i get very different results if i grab my guitar select the volume of the guitar knob arounf 8 and strum some chords doing the tweak on my audio interface input to find that green and no red light but with the most input possible...

if i do the same way but with the guitar knob on 10...the final sound is a more "harsh" or at least have some uinpleasant result.... i don't know if i have my guitar pups setup in a very nice way... is normal to have this behaviour i think...

:huh:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12529

gabrielscruff wrote:

if i do the same way but with the guitar knob on 10...the final sound is a more "harsh" or at least have some uinpleasant result.... i don't know if i have my guitar pups setup in a very nice way... is normal to have this behaviour i think...

:huh:

If pickups are bad then its normal.But also if pickups height is very low you`ll get more squeaky thin tones.
The only benefit is more dynamics.With,every type of pickups should have different height adjustment.Google and find what would be starting point for single coil stratocaster type of pickups.
It also depends is pickups is vintage,moderate or hot output.

With rising level you get more bass and warmer tone,more attack,punch and more compressed tone.

Experiment till you find the height that feels and sound right to you.
It is a long process,you need at least 15 days of tweaking and re tweaking.

Sometimes you get satisfied with tone,which tomorrow will sound not so good etc..

Also to add virtual instruments always sound better with less dynamic tone,and also input level for adjusting for every input on DAW no matter what instrument is should be -18/21dbfs.
That is about -4/0 signal on analog gear Vu metal showing.

Some further info:
dbzeebee.blogspot.ba/2009/10/digital-rec...s-rule-of-thumb.html
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12531

All good points about pickup heights Stud, but 15 days of tweaking? Yikes. , you can get it done right the first session if you know what to listen for, but it may take some fine-tuning to finalize. The BL “Nickel method” is a good one. I agree with your descriptions in general, but I'm not sure about the “compressed” sound when the pickup is raised higher. As you say, there is more dynamic range when a pickup is raised. The sound would then be less compressed, unless you are referring to more preamp distortion. I think the main thing is to have a fairly flat clean amp preset to adjust the heights with. I find a SA plugin useful to set up such a preset. I then fine-tune the combined positions with a high gain preset to better hear the upper-harmonic balance. AFAIK, Gabe already went through all that. Certainly, a tweak session here and there can at least help confirm your settings.

The sound generally looses some high end when you reduce the guitar volume, depending on the pickup Z and component loading. When the knob is at ~7, there is ~1/2 the knob resistance added in front of the pickup. That's ~125k for a 250k pot. High end loss would generally be noticeable with 50k or less resistance added to a typical Strat pickup. That's why people have “treble bleed” circuits. You might not have one on the knob. You can add one if you want. 1~3nF cap values can even be used to reduce bass several dB by comparison when the volume knob is turned down. Recommended standard values vary, but a parallel wired ~330pF cap & ~80k resistor are good Strat/Tele values for an even tonal balance. That's what BL uses in his wiring schemes. I use it, and it's quite evenly balanced. You may prefer the high end loss without a treble bleed, but that's what the tone knob is for.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12533

tks studio and Greg ...

well im using the same pup setup it's being a while... and to my ears sound normal and i can be happy ... the thing is if i use the volume of the guitar on 10 the sound gets just a little strange with distorted tones... but tha strange behaviour goes away if i turn the volume knob of the guitar around 8 ...

even the tone knobs change the sound in resulting in a better overall sound... since my pups seems to be a little extra bright...

i was just messing around with this pup adjustment... but to be honest i think the sound is just fine... if im not exagerate with the guitar volume knob...

normally all treads seems to behave like a "wild little horse" and run away from its course but it's for a greatter good.. :side:

anyway tks for the help guys
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12534

GCKelloch wrote:

but 15 days of tweaking? Yikes. , you can get it done right the first session if you know what to listen for, but it may take some fine-tuning to finalize.

I thought just what you wrote.You can adjust pickups in a few minutes actually,but till you get totally satisfied further re tweaking will take place.Not generally non stop tweaking damn pickups fo 15 days. ;) But in that time every few days of playing you figure out you could just little less or height,or balance screw poles etc...
You got the point. ;)

I find pickups finding right height is really crucial in order to take the best from guitar.Sometimes difference can be dramatic.For instance if you put too low pickups+low output,you can really get nothing but bad squeaky tones from them.

Lowering volume is great for what it does,but you should`n`t be annoyed with volume all the way up.
It just needed to sound different but not bad.
My 5 cent.
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12537

Absolutely pickup height is crucial. Yeah, a few times tweaking over a few weeks may be necessary, but listening closely to that attack sound compared with the sustain can make it much quicker. Hopefully you can get enough lower note harmonic strength at the attack level you like. I find it lacking with typical Strat pickups, but they can be good for a cool thinner “metallic” sound. Still, Gabe's samples sound great. I think he has it all worked out. A lower C cable might help with that last little bit of harshness, but it all depends on the levels and filtering in the gain stages used. Turning the guitar tone to ~9 can do the trick. I do that on my SC guitars. Going OT, so I'll leave it there.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12549

GCKelloch wrote:

Still, Gabe's samples sound great. I think he has it all worked out. A lower C cable might help with that last little bit of harshness, but it all depends on the levels and filtering in the gain stages used. Turning the guitar tone to ~9 can do the trick. I do that on my SC guitars. Going OT, so I'll leave it there.

Tks Greg! nice ! by the way the tone on 9 can do the trick for sure! is sublte but when it comes to music those little details make a bid difference... just like on that video that i've posted regarding finger picking and with nails...

:gripped:
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12550

Those subtle details can add up to excellent detail with minimal ear-fatigue. Those are the main factors I strive for when working with an unfiltered overdrive guitar sound, and the goal behind all my posts on the subject. You don't need a different cable if you can get the sounds you want with what you have. The tone knob doesn't really reduce the high end until its below about half way. Above that, it just reduces the Rz amplitude.

BTW, I found super glue doesn't really work better than nail polish in protecting my nail edges. It chips off easier as well.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12556

GCKelloch wrote:

The tone knob doesn't really reduce the high end until its below about half way. Above that, it just reduces the Rz amplitude.

can you explain that a little better? the rz amplitude subject??

by the way i would love to have a product to help the endurance of the nail..... i just can't play contfortably with a pick no more... im so used to play with the fingers only and the results is a much nicier sound to my ears and i feel better when playing with my fingers...

some folks like to apply a little bit of a finger nail women product ..they call it "base" in my country... before the girls paint the finger nail they apply a little bit of the "base" ... it creates a layer to protect the nail and helps to avoid the breaking of the nails...

ot but for a greatter good ....lol ... :P
  • gabrielscruff
  • Tone Master
Life is music
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 8 months ago #12658

... and a User Manual that you can browse using hyperlinks in the table of contents :)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds