TOPIC: What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 3 months ago #15866

It's all in the manual, jb. The Pro Convolver Z curves are modeled from different speakers. The cab type shouldn't matter, should it? The amp sims don't have individual speaker algorithms, AFAIK. I think it's just a matter of dynamically increasing the low and high end as a tube amp would at higher gain settings. The IR curves just shape the spectrum for the correct speaker. It's not perfect, but close enough for the same kind of feel. Less accurate with 3rd party IR's, but the Z curves aren't all that different anyway. Maybe it will somehow be made more specific to the IR's in future, but I don't think it's that important.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 3 months ago #15877

I'll have to look through the manual again ;-)

PS - it's good to see you back again Greg. ;-)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 3 months ago #15881

Been otherwise occupied, but I'm still around. All the best to you.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 3 months ago #15883

Certainly a Vox type amp! A "Drive Thing" module with both comp and overdrive options routed before the pre amp would be very useful too...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ges
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 3 months ago #15976

it's been said a time or two but I'd really like to see a ducking feature on the delay. :)
  • scienceguy
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by scienceguy.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16021

I don't really understand why stamp the emulation of well-known brands ? Them too much ! Why have a home 5-10 emulations of the same amplifier ? S-Gear should have its own niche, exclusive. I think for true connoisseurs of the guitar sound would be much more interesting to play on a Dumble, TrainWreck, Koch, Rivera, Suhr, Egnater, 65, Carr ... and so on.
If S-Gear is the best, then it must be the best in everything. It needs to be a pioneer in everything. It needs to stand out not only sound quality but also assortment. Metal is too much metal just up the wazoo. Sometimes I think that guitarists have become like the herd. All someone copy. Shaking his head and banz-banz ... sad ( S-Gear does not have to be like everyone else.
For me S-Gear is the last hope for beautiful and high-quality sound. So my wishes are simple - less metal, more warmth and exclusive )
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16057

It would be nice if S-Gear could detect input levels and adjust that for optimum settings. Input and output auto level buttons?
  • clintmartin
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16059

coda,
S-Gear should have its own niche, exclusive.
...Interesting point, coda.

I must say though that S-Gear - in my estimation at least, already fits quite nicely into the niche market.

I also do not care a great deal for emulations. Just provide me with the tools to create a great tone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NightWalker, ryentzer
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16070

SECCO wrote:

A "Drive Thing" module with both comp and overdrive options routed before the pre amp would be very useful too...

I agree! A comp with the clean sounds would be very nice.

A drive with a variable transparent / mid boost / treble boost controls.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16071

There are a lot of choices available for digital guitar systems. To me what distinguishes S-Gear from all the others is that is is a professional grade, high-end product that focuses on excellence in quality rather than marketing quantity. The amps in S-Gear don't model existing amps, they are digitally designed amps that are inspired by what we've learned in the analog and digital worlds over the last 50 years to produce something unique and wonderful. Same with the post amp effects (modulation, delay, reverb).

Many of the other vendors have focused on quantity over quality - a large number of useful, but not necessarily professional quality effects around so-so amp and cabinet models. These are great, but not inspiring.

Helix Native represents an interesting newcomer. Helix amp models are pretty good, and Line6 inspired models like Litigator are starting to do what S-Gear is doing. Helix effects are also pretty good. I expect to be using them with S-Gear.

I would like to see S-Gear stay in this professional quality domain while at the same time providing a consistent set of products that can address the complete guitar signal chain. There are effects you can't get by without: controllable distortions (clipping and voicing control), phasors, UniVibe, compression, wah, Octiavia, Leslie, etc. That's a lot for a single vendor to produce, especially with quality comparable with S-Gear. What I would hope to see happen is for Mike to partner with others to provide a consistent end-to-end solution without having it have to be developed by a single vendor. Collaboration over competition and fragmentation. Otherwise it might be a long time coming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: asintoras, ryentzer
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16072

I just purchased S-GEAR so I am a newbie with the product.

Before indicating what I would like to see in V3, I have to say that this is the absolute best amp sim I have ever used. I mainly setup all of the amp types to use use clean tones or close to clean. I didn't expect that S-GEAR would be this good. On to the wish list :

1. A UI that can be sized - similar to the % options in may Logic plugins - or redesigned so that the tiny controls and text are not so tiny.
2. An AC-30 TB with the clean sounds modeled to the same perfection as the other amps in S-GEAR
3. A licensing policy/system to allow me to install and activate on more than 2 computers - but limit to using on one computer at a time.

Thanks for all the hard work making S-GEAR

John
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16081

Purchased S-gear a few days ago, but have a lot of time in on the demo. I will be using it live via a laptop running Cantabile with a power amp and a Marshall 4x10. My go-to amp is a JCM800 for leads and crunchy rhythm, but I don't like it for clean tones or dirty blues. So, like others, I vote for a quality AC30 emulation to round out the offerings in the clean / mildly dirty department.

I know a lot have argued for high gain Marshall or Engl type sims in an updated version of S-gear. I'm using Mercuriall Spark and U530 sims and I'm not sure that these can be topped easily. I was skeptical of their neural net based approach but the proof is in the sound. In fact, I can honestly say that I prefer to use Spark over a real JCM800 live. I can then switch between S-gear and Spark when necessary, all in software.

Quick question for Mike... which is preferable, circuit emulation or black-box modeling? My doctoral research in EE was in data modeling, and there are a lot of limitations to a black-box approach. But Spark seems to have nailed it. Obviously this is a complex question, but I am just curious - is the future to be found in learned models or more detailed circuit models?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16082

I think the approach was different on Mercuriall spark than other guitar amp sims based on wavesshaping.

From a review:
"In this quest, it took the decision to avoid traditional waveshaping or tone-matching systems, instead pursuing hardware component modelling. The downside of trying to achieve this in real-time is the big CPU hit, so they turned to a technique called artificial neural networks (ANN). This allows them to 'learn' a particular input/output behaviour, and once the 'training' process is complete, algorithms can be used to deliver a more CPU-efficient but still accurate plugin."

So they used machine learning to simulate the amps behavior which is a really interesting approach.

And yes Spark sounds really good with poweramp and a real cab!!
  • Daco_one
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Daco_one.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16084

fortunjj wrote:

Quick question for Mike... which is preferable, circuit emulation or black-box modeling?
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Black-box modeling is an efficient, inexpensive way to reproduce a large number of existing tones. Circuit emulation is a way to design and build amplifiers that produce new and different tones, or provide greater flexibility than was possible before.

S-Gear provides the latter, and to me that is its greatest strength. For example, just consider the power amp section Hi Cut. Its magic. On Wayfarer you can use the Amp Drive to get some nice power amp distortion, and use the Hi Cut to trim off some of the ice pick. But turn down your guitar's volume control and that high cut disappears and you get a nice rich clean tone. This kind of dynamic behavior is hard to reproduce with impulse responses, post EQ, and other black-box modeling techniques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16085

Hello Compadres,

I last posted on this particular wish 3 years and 9 months ago.
That wish would still be a welcome reality for me - and it's the ability to load VST plugins into S-Gear.
DDMF have a really useful VST loader:

ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst-au-rtas-aax-wrapper/
  • ademusic
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16086

More Scuffham built IR's.
An overdrive or boost module that can be placed before the amp.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16088

jamsden wrote:

fortunjj wrote:

Quick question for Mike... which is preferable, circuit emulation or black-box modeling?
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Black-box modeling is an efficient, inexpensive way to reproduce a large number of existing tones. Circuit emulation is a way to design and build amplifiers that produce new and different tones, or provide greater flexibility than was possible before.

S-Gear provides the latter, and to me that is its greatest strength. For example, just consider the power amp section Hi Cut. Its magic. On Wayfarer you can use the Amp Drive to get some nice power amp distortion, and use the Hi Cut to trim off some of the ice pick. But turn down your guitar's volume control and that high cut disappears and you get a nice rich clean tone. This kind of dynamic behavior is hard to reproduce with impulse responses, post EQ, and other black-box modeling techniques.

That is a really good point that I hadn't considered in this context. Black-box approaches cannot model a circuit that doesn't exist. What makes an amp sound good is the circuit design. Clearly that is what separates S-gear from others.

However, assume that we already have a great design. I think it is clear that modeling will at some point be indistinguishable from the hardware. The question is, what is the best way to get there? More accurate circuit modeling or a black-box model of transfer functions?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16091

Does anyone know what particular Circuit Simulator Mike uses?
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16102

One thing that might be missed in digital circuit design is variability. Two different instances of the same amp model built at the same time by the same people in the same factory will sound different due to variations in the components. That could be simulated in digital circuit designs to by adding some random variation to the component models. Don't know if anyone does this.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 2 months ago #16112

rose703 wrote:

Does anyone know what particular Circuit Simulator Mike uses?

Don't know if this answers it or not, but it's an interesting article by Mike:

http://soundbytesmag.net/virtual-amps-for-rookies-special-guest-michael-scuffham-from-scuffham-amps/
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds