TOPIC: What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14366

Dear persons of the board: Mike's tirelessly working on the S-Gear of the future as we speak.

After knowing that, I don't care anymore about the waiting time, as I KNOW it'll be way well worth my while.

HTH,
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14372

LtKojak wrote:

Dear persons of the board: Mike's tirelessly working on the S-Gear of the future as we speak.

After knowing that, I don't care anymore about the waiting time, as I KNOW it'll be way well worth my while.

HTH,

Wasn't always that way? ;)

This is last sentence of an email reply I got from Mike from in January. I did not say anything since it's a private conversation and don't know how much of it is "secret" (if at all, as he didn't mention anything), but reading latest posts I think it may put some minds at ease:

"There are more amps on the way including a higher gain model.

Kind regards,

Mike"

So no, he's not sitting on his ass. :rock out:

On a side note, I'd love to be able to get more gain from the Stealer to get into JCM800 territory. I assume the amp is Plexi based and it's not its purpose, but a drive boost channel (like the one on the Laney VH100R which is also Marshall-based) could turn it into a fire breathing rock machine.

Or you can just scratch that if there's something like a Friedman BE100 in the works :silly:
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by Altamir.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14373

I don't really think anyone thinks Mike is sitting on his ass doing nothing! But with not even a tiny hint about what is coming and when, it's hard to plan. If I knew something was coming in the next month or so, I'd definitely wait. If it's going to be another year I would likely look elsewhere. The cone of silence makes planning difficult.
  • richpjr
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3. 2 years 8 months ago #14374

Consumers look for the refinement of a product only when they care about it. Because I'm a fan of S-gear I do wish the software get further releases and improvements (paid or not). In the course of that I would at least wish to hear how things are going (what's wrong with keeping people in the loop?) - I don't see that happening much here.

If that's how Mike Scuffham works that's also fine. I just wish it was little more up to date. But that's just me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mohi
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14377

First let make it clear. I do not gig and use S-Gear in my home studio only.

When I bought my first version of S-Gear for 75$. It took me one week and I sold my Axe FX Ultra at the time.

Then I stop to use Amplitube and guitar rig.

After a while I told myself may be I need to see what is better in the Fractal Axe FX. So I bought an AxeFX XL. So many amps , routing and effects. I had to try it. Two weeks later I sold it.

Then I put myself on the AX8 waiting list in case. Same thing. I took a week to make sure I tried everything and realized I did not need it.

The why not an Helix! In case I missed something. 3 days later sold it to a friend.

Lately , because I like a lot the Friedman,sound I bought A BE-OD. Wow! best pedal I ever had. However two weeks later after playing with the Stealer and different IRS I sold it.

Good for me I bought all those units (Except the AX8) from guys that had them for sale and lost at least three times the purchase price of S-Gear just because they wanted to try the new flavor of the month.

Why I keep coming to S-Gear? Simply because FOR MY NEEDS it is simply the best sounding and simpliest thing I can have. However I am not a high gain amp user and I play home only. So a software is ok for me.

Mike has a small company and competition is fierce . So I understand why he is not telling too much about what's next. The market change very fast and sometimes a company has to change plans at the last minute.

I know for sure he follows and LISTEN to users.

Because it is software I think many people undervalue the product. We will pay $200 for a single overdirve pedal, $350 for a set of pickups. As far as modeling we will compare a $129 product to a a $2,300 hardware processer.. I think this is unfair. Larger companies have more ressources and they have to rush and most of the time annouce a new product too fast or even worst launch it with many bugs.

All this being said, I have S-Gear from the beginning and still discover a lot of possibilities. I bought it as a software and I am happy with it. If I need a pedal in front of it there are many free or cheap software ones on the market. Same thing for exotic effects. However I end- up not using them. It is fun at the beginning but a good guitar sound is always pretty simple. A GOOD AMP; AGOOD CABINET: Sometimes a little delay or reverb...

Hey Mike what's next? :evil:
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14378

I agree, but now that I'm playing in a band again (at 67 years old!), and am going amp-less most of the time, I needed something more convenient and dependable than an FCB1010, a laptop, MainStage and S-Gear for gigs. That's why I got the Helix, that and I use a Variax Standard for quick open tunings and guitar switches. We move from song to song very fast to keep dancers on the floor and there usually isn't time to switch instruments or retune. The Variax Standard isn't great, but its OK for this, especially if you do a good setup on it and make some changes in the models.

I still prefer S-Gear, but Helix is pretty good and has what I need for gigging. I do use the computer setup with S-Gear for rehearsals though. And I still use S-Gear for all recording as it sounds great and makes re-amping a breeze.

I'm pretty sure whatever Mike produces next I'll be early in line to buy it. I have that much confidence in his technical approach and ear for what great guitar tone should sound like.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14379

If I would be in your situation I would have kept either the AX8 or the Helix. However I do not gig so S-Gear is perfect for me. I use a Soft Step pedal to control the parameters and I am pretty happy with it.very little space as a pedal and easy to program. But again I do not gig.

Now that Line 6 and Fractal has launched their floorboard . If Mike want to make a hardware version he can read about the pros and cons of these units . I simply think that hardware and software have their own market

At the end only owners of all these companies know if they are doing the right things to acheive their plan or goals. Just the fact that we discuss here is a good sign of interest for Mike's product.

I am 61 so I still have 6 years to find friends and gig LOL! For now I will try to work only 4 days a week and play more at home....
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14380

Scuffham is the Dumble of the amp sim world. That is a compliment not a put down. Get in line if a hardware device comes out, it will sell out quickly.
  • rose703
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14381

saving presets to auto add to a preset list or redesign later in folders. This will save me from doing what I just did and that was to keep saving new to same dang spot overwriting and not knowing it. lol
  • acousticglue
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by acousticglue.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14382

For a higher gain amp, in fact Mike don't need to create another model, just add more flexibility to the Jackal and The Stealer and we are covered.

Another cool feature will be a 4x12" IR made by Mike. Those native cabinets sounds a lot bether than Redwirez and Rosen to my ears.
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14383

BrunoMariano wrote:

For a higher gain amp, in fact Mike don't need to create another model, just add more flexibility to the Jackal and The Stealer and we are covered.

Good points, but that doesn't negate the need for actual modern hi-gain designs such as EVH, Diezel, ENGL, Fryette, Mesa... Which all sound radically different to a Marshall Plexi or a Soldano.

So yeah, you would be covered, not us ;)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14386

Both Mesa Dual Recttifier and EVH, and add to the list some Framus models and the Peavey 5150 are Soldano "Spin Offs". With Mike's aproach, just adding more flexibility, like modify tone stack, more power amp control and extra gain stage on the preamp, I belive the Jackal model can sound a lot more heavy/high gain oriented. Also keep in mind that bands with extra modern/heavy tones like Killswitch Engage recorded with Soldanos boosted with something like a Tube Screamer.

Bogner Ecstasy is also basically a polished plexi with extra gain(s) stage(s). More options on Stealer should make it a Marshall/Bogner/Friedman.

I'm not familiar with ENGL and Fryette designs. Maybe for that and other extreme designs like Bogner Uberschall a brand new amp model is needed.

I'm just pointing that because as a former user of Line6 stuff, I really like Mike's approach on offering less models but with far more "tweakability" than a lot of one-trick-pony models that sounds like just one option of the real amp.
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14387

Again I agree with adding more flexibility to current amps, but pretty much every amp is derivative of something else. I think it's kind of obvious that a Rectifier sounds nothing like a Soldano in real life, no matter where the design comes from.

We all favor quality over quantity here, but c'mon there are only 5 amp models, it's not like you'll suddendly get option anxiety. Kazrog's Thermionik has 25 amp models with all their features and channels modeled, and they all sound amazing. I still prefer S-Gear because I favor suites for my occasional jamming instead of single plugins, but obviously I reach it when heavier tones are needed.

Sincerely, I just can't understand why people actually prefer to not get more amps and let the software evolve to satisfy other users besides themselves... It's not like current models will suddendly sound worse. :??:

At this point of the game do you really think that Mike is going to release dozens of crap amps to go with the flow having stablished himself as a "quality over quantity" kind of guy? Obviously not.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14391

I just don't think Mike need to create another model to cover that 5150 and Rectifier designs. The main difference between those models is on the power amp and transformers. You can mod a Rectifier to sound like a Soldano or 5150, and vice-versa. If it can be modded phisically, it can be modded virtually. But of course, it's easier to get that kind of tone changing an amp model than tweaking an amp model. So I'm not opposing on creating another models.

Just for record: Did you tried Jackal with other IR? If not, try with Rosen Digital IRs.
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14392

Yes, I have tried Rosens'. They were my go-to impulses before moving to 3 Sigma Audio (which are basically the same but with more options).

There are more modern hi-gain amps besides the 5150. The reason it gets mentioned the most it's because it's the golden standard of modern metal tone and it gets used in pretty much every record (paired with a Mesa 4x12 and a Shure 57). The reason I mention the EVH 5150 III instead is because its way more versatile than its predecessors and fits better with Mike's approach. It has great clean, crunch and lead tones.

It's a double-edged sword. A 5150 based model would attract lots of potential buyers in the metal scene, but it would also have fierce competition (TSE x50, Thermionik's Psycho). A proper Diezel emulation remains to be seen in the VST realm, so there's that.

I don't know about you guys, but I just can't get enough of S-Gear and the metalhead in my heart aches for a proper hi-gainer. S-Gear is the oldest ampsim to still remain relevant (or king), but the market is evolving at a very fast pace and S-Gear could become obsolete soon. I'm pretty sure that Mike knows that and he's working his ass off for a huge 3.0 overhaul (which was supposedly due to be released late 2016).

Let's just cross fingers and wait. :gripped:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14393

Man, what a golden hint you gave me!

I've just bought the Bogner Uberkab and Friedman cab from 3 sigma. Friedman is by far the best IR I've ever used. Thank you!
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 years 8 months ago by BrunoMariano.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14394

That IR is fantastic, give it a try with FB100 VST (not S-Gear), very Friedmandish .... with S-Gear, I find it tends to steal much of the original amps character.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14395

BrunoMariano wrote:

Man, what a golden hint you gave me!

I've just bought the Bogner Uberkab and Friedman cab from 3 sigma. Friedman is by far the best IR I've ever used. Thank you!

You're welcome! :thumbs up:

I have 12 cabs from them and I prefer them to other brands. They sound great and don't have a bazillion of IRs to browse through. I usually use the "B" impulses. They are less colored (B= flat SS poweramp, A= tube 5150) and to me work better with amp sims that already have power amp simulation (such as S-Gear).

And yes, the Friedman IR is fantastic. Try wit with Thermionik's FB100 and prepare to wet your pants :lol:

Some of the cabs sound very similar to Rosen's, but that changes as you move up through the impulses. For example Orange PPC and Mesa Oversized sound considerably better (to me at least).
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14396

Yes, I've noticed that. I took care of not buying any IR I've already have as a first experience, but probably I'll try others.

They have a crossgrade system for "former" Rosen users. Do you know how it's working?
  • BrunoMariano
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 8 months ago #14397

mohi wrote:

That IR is fantastic, give it a try with FB100 VST (not S-Gear), very Friedmandish .... with S-Gear, I find it tends to steal much of the original amps character.

Is the "FB100 VST" the same as the Thermionik Freidman amp that Altamir mentioned or is it a different software amp? Thanks!
Keep on chooglin'!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds