TOPIC: What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13738

Each amp is probably specifically tuned for harmonic character. I don't imagine there is any crossover distortion coded in, but there may be more or less even and odd harmonics in different models. We could argue for bias and voltage adjustments, but that opens up a new "can of worms".
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13740

It would be interesting to move beyond the physical characteristics of tubes and the impact of power supply sag, tube saturation and cut-off, bias, power supply ripple, heater hum, negative feedback, etc. and get down to what's actually happening harmonically and sonically. Then we can ask what characteristics sound good in what situations and use the digital domain to experiment with the edges and crossover points. Perhaps amp designs could then have controls that are more applicable to what the end result is, not the implementation mechanisms that create it. For example, if even/odd harmonics are the result of saturation vs. cut-off distortion, and are impacted by bias and negative feedback - why not have controls that add and blend these harmonics directly?

And then I wonder if we won't eventually discover something that's only possible in the digital domain that opens up a whole new dimension to sound we couldn't previously have experienced. Innovation could come from shifting the focus from modeling existing things to discovering new things.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13742

If we go in this direction, it might be a good idea to have a "basic" screen where you just set gain, bass, treble etc - and keep the "advanced" stuff (set to default values) on a completely separate screen or tab.
Some people probably won't want to go there ;-)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13743

There’s also the challenge of keeping it manageable for those who do go there. So far, the tweak sections do describe how they affect the sound. Bias could be “Harm Bal” and Voltage could be “Clip-Point”, if such things are deemed necessary. I think PS Sag is incorporated into the Sag at the highest settings. It’s very natural sounding, but may benefit from an S-Curve adjustment. I don’t think hum & ripple or crossover & inter-modulation distortion are of use for a great guitar amp sound. Such “Lo-Fi” affects can be found elsewhere. There could be a preamp tweak section as well. An attack feature that differs an adjustable portion of the transient to a separate preamp sound or direct to the amp section would probably be nice. Factory tweak section presets would be useful for reference if it gets more involved. There could be a central tweak window that opens below the amp with buttons for different tweak sections, or just keep all tweak knobs organized in the one window with pop up preset windows per section. That would be pretty quick, easy and...infallible.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13750

This is pretty much what "Bias" and the Fractal "Axe-Fx" units have for amp controls. They have very deep control of amp parameters down to tube type, bias, negative feedback, tonestacks and so on... In the case of the "Axe-Fx" (the AX8 in particular), you can get very good results with just the basic controls, for those that don't want to get too complicated. If you do want to really fine tune the amp, those options are there for you.

This level of control can be a blessing and/or a curse in that it can become a rabbit hole that you enter at your own peril (as far as how much time it consumes playing with all the options), and you have to remember to only go as deep as you need to or have time for. I know some people that would prefer an amp with 1 control. B)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13753

I always thought power supply ripple and heater hum were things to avoid. However see www.ampbooks.com/mobile/classic-circuits/class-AB-ripple/ for an experiment that indicates the intermodulation distortion caused by ripple or hum might be a fundamental part of amp tone.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13759

Interesting, and possibly helpful for Mike. Like any aspect, I think the Sag behavior can be written any way he wants. Whether ripple is incorporated may not have any bearing on the results. Still, good to know.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13763

jamsden wrote:

I always thought power supply ripple and heater hum were things to avoid. However see www.ampbooks.com/mobile/classic-circuits/class-AB-ripple/ for an experiment that indicates the intermodulation distortion caused by ripple or hum might be a fundamental part of amp tone.

This is a very interesting aspect of amp emulation and something that is an important part of the current S-GEAR algorithms and ongoing development. My findings are that the excursion and recovery characteristics of the the power supply sag are really important to the feel of the amp. Less so I think the impact of mains ripple, the two types of ripple are quite different.

Cheers,
Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13771

mike wrote:

jamsden wrote:

This is a very interesting aspect of amp emulation and something that is an important part of the current S-GEAR algorithms and ongoing development. My findings are that the excursion and recovery characteristics of the the power supply sag are really important to the feel of the amp. Less so I think the impact of mains ripple, the two types of ripple are quite different.

Cheers,
Mike

And I've missed their absence in some emulations. Another advantage of software: you can adjust that effect, or remove it entirely, or even amplify it you wanted.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13799

Elsewhere, I've already given a +1 for MIDI learn.
I'd also like to see the ability to use NOTES so we can step through presets with single presses..

One nice thing about the S-Gear MIDI implementation is that, since there's very few amps, There aren't that many settings, and they're global! A limitation though, is that when you use an A/B amp setup, any changes you make via MIDI affect both amps unless you use a whole other set of CCs. Setting separate CCs for A and B uses up a lot of CCs, and most MIDI Devices don't have that many pedals/buttons/encoders. Would be nice if MIDI affected only the active (A or B) amp.That way a set of separate settings/pedals for Amp B wouldn't be necessary.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by rd2rk. Reason: the characters "or B)" got replaced by an emoticon!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13802

MIDI learn can sometimes be misleading. There can be more than one MIDI message being sent and the value could vary depending on the MIDI device configuration. I like to use a MIDI Monitor app to see exactly what's happening when I press a button or move a dial, then I like to program the controls carefully to address variation and multiple messages.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13845

Scrollable Rack! :)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 1 month ago #13847

Hi mkruse-

The rack is scrollable. You can set the height of the rack in the S-Gear 'Config' menu. If you then add more units to the rack than can be displayed, a scroll bar appears on the right hand side to enable you to access the hidden units. I hope this helps- unless you mean something else...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 11 months ago #14180

A full-screen interface option; some of us ain't getting any younger, and like our controls nice and big.
The following user(s) said Thank You: carminemarotta
  • melodiusthunk
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 11 months ago #14224

I only use other software for two things:

1) Wah Pedal
2) Bass Guitar Amps and Cabs ( smooth and modern--think R&B )

It would be nice if these were to become apart of S-Gear at some point. I would not, however, like to see any amp clones, heavy metal or otherwise.

I really like what Mike is doing and I trust his judgement and the direction he is taking. I would be happy with any additions or no additions at all (with upgrades of the current offerings, of course). S-Gear is about quality over everything else and I hope it stays that way.

Almost forgot, I would like S-Gear "gear" (t-shirts and such) too so I can represent! :feeling it:
  • joey rock
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 2 years 11 months ago by joey rock.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 11 months ago #14226

jamsden wrote:

MIDI learn can sometimes be misleading. There can be more than one MIDI message being sent and the value could vary depending on the MIDI device configuration. I like to use a MIDI Monitor app to see exactly what's happening when I press a button or move a dial, then I like to program the controls carefully to address variation and multiple messages.

Too true about multiple MIDI messages. So far Cantabile is the only MIDI controllable SW I've seen that comes with a decent (though basic) MIDI monitor built in, which saves a lot of switching in/out of MIDI-Ox when things don't work the way you think they should.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 11 months ago #14227

bigger interface. personally think that all is too small
  • angelcano
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 11 months ago #14242

angelcano wrote:

bigger interface. personally think that all is too small

A big +1 to that.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 11 months ago #14245

A limiter for the stand alone application
  • joey rock
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 2 years 11 months ago #14263

I've been using S-Gear for about a month... Sorry if any of these suggestions are repeats:

1) Room thing is such an awesome reverb. It would be nice if all the "things" could be their own distinct vst/au plugin so that I could use it on non-guitar tracks without spinning up an entire instance of S-Gear.

2) Conversely, it would be awesome if I could load vst's inside S-Gear. Delay thing is great, but sometimes I'd like to use echoboy between the amp and room thing.

3) I'm not sure if this exists already, but it would be nice to be able to sync Wayfarer's tremolo to midi (even better... maybe move the tremolo into mod thing so that I can have tremolo on all the amps & make that a distinct vst plugin).

4) It would be awesome if the "two finger scroll" worked to scroll through the rack in OSX. Right now, the two finger scroll can be used to adjust knobs, but it doesn't scroll. Also, it seems that the knobs adjust in the "reverse" direction for me (on OSX)... If I "scroll" up with my trackpad, the knob's value decreases. FWIW, I have the "natural" direction turned on inside OSX's trackpad preferences.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds