TOPIC: What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 4 months ago #13519

fatherjacques wrote:

A way to recall different versions of a preset with midi. Versions would have or not an effect on depending of the version
I already do that, just by using another preset.

FX. Preset 01: Clean patch w/reverb. Preset 02: same patch, just w/Chorus.

HTH,
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 4 months ago #13528

I am doing it myself but since I tried the AX8 with scenes I find the preset management to be more intuitive. You have one AMP preset with several effects and then you make MANY VERSIONS of that preset . May be it would be a way to save memory. I do not know. I am not an expert. :)
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 4 months ago #13529

Many versions of the same present is definitly a convenience since changing common parameters are updated in every scene without having to reproduce them. I really wish MainStage had this capability. Saving memory will happen too, but these parameters don't take up much memory.

Another purpose of scenes might be to optimize patch changing. When changing a scene, the processor can know what blocks change in the scene and which ones don't. This can reduce the scene switching time because some expensive blocks don't need to be re-initialized when something else changes.

Another advantage is that if the scene change doesn't involve blocks that have tails, the tails need not be muted when changing the scene, and this wouldn't require extra DSP or CPU processing since the blocks aren't being changed and can continue to run while other blocks are being replaced or added.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 4 months ago #13530

I learn so much with these forums ! Thanks for the input :thumbs up:
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 4 months ago #13531

jamsden wrote:

Many versions of the same present is definitly a convenience since changing common parameters are updated in every scene without having to reproduce them. I really wish MainStage had this capability. Saving memory will happen too, but these parameters don't take up much memory.

Another purpose of scenes might be to optimize patch changing. When changing a scene, the processor can know what blocks change in the scene and which ones don't. This can reduce the scene switching time because some expensive blocks don't need to be re-initialized when something else changes.

Another advantage is that if the scene change doesn't involve blocks that have tails, the tails need not be muted when changing the scene, and this wouldn't require extra DSP or CPU processing since the blocks aren't being changed and can continue to run while other blocks are being replaced or added.
I don't know if the inner structure of S-Gear would allow for the "scene" feature to be built or added...? Isn't it proprietary to Fractal?
Last edit: 3 years 4 months ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 4 months ago #13533

After thinking about it I will put different versions of an amp presets in BANKS and with AMP A and AMP B in each preset I will get there. :idea:
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13563

I just got a look on a 4K display. Wow. Some of the stuff is really tiny. After a few days with it...

-- More gain in the low-gain amps without resorting to plug-ins in front. Just a little knob in the tweaks!
-- Search function for presets which includes the amp type, cabinet, etc.
-- Higher contrast slider handles
-- More key commands, especially ones to change presets. If there are any, I haven't found them.
-- And of course, more amps...
  • jonljacobi
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13577

Mike, any updates on when the next release might be out?
  • richpjr
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13620

I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned - but for external IRs, I'd rather just be able to look through my file system, than to have to "import" the IRs in to S-Gear.
This would make it easier to manage lots of IRs, and they'd already be naturally sorted in to folders on our hard disk.
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13630

I'd like a big fat jazz amp please ... :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jldelatorre, vanman
Music is the moment.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13633

Breg wrote:

What exactly you're not getting with the Custom '57, The Duke, The Wayfarer and the Jackal?

Sorry to be blunt, but if you're not getting what you're asking for with neither of those amps, I'd say the problem is *not* S-Gear.

I play with a Smooth Jazz project group, and the best clean patches I've created for three different guitars are made with either the Duke and/or the Jackal. For Early breakup patches, the Custom '57 is my favorite.

All patches use the Scuffham 2x12" Special Ported Cab S12-65.

HTH,
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by LtKojak.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13634

Number one thing that would complete S-Gear for me is a modern high gain amp. The Wayfarer is awesome for 80's tones and leads, but I'd love something along the lines of an Engl Savage or a Framus Cobra. Aside from that, it's the best amp sim I've ever used, sounds and feels just like a real amp. Bias and Thermionik don't do either anywhere near as well. Of course my real 6505+ feels a bit more real :P
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13641

LtKojak wrote:

Breg wrote:

What exactly you're not getting with the Custom '57, The Duke, The Wayfarer and the Jackal?

Sorry to be blunt, but if you're not getting what you're asking for with neither of those amps, I'd say the problem is *not* S-Gear.

I play with a Smooth Jazz project group, and the best clean patches I've created for three different guitars are made with either the Duke and/or the Jackal. For Early breakup patches, the Custom '57 is my favorite.

All patches use the Scuffham 2x12" Special Ported Cab S12-65.

HTH,

People have different tastes and what works for you may not for someone else.
  • richpjr
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13643

WHE3LER wrote:

Number one thing that would complete S-Gear for me is a modern high gain amp. The Wayfarer is awesome for 80's tones and leads, but I'd love something along the lines of an Engl Savage or a Framus Cobra. Aside from that, it's the best amp sim I've ever used, sounds and feels just like a real amp. Bias and Thermionik don't do either anywhere near as well. Of course my real 6505+ feels a bit more real :P

Bias is certainly do not cut even as close as it built its fame,but Thermionik is good enough to get very solid realistic amp tone for recording purpose.But for jamming in the room it still lack something I agree.

You know of course that even S-Gear do not work as real thing,but its I guess the closest we can get.Real thing plugged in still is above everything.Even Kemper sound harsh when you compare it what it profiled.They make it sound almost the same as real deal,but something is lost in process.
But many people swears by it.Me not really.
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Studiostriver.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13691

I have to agree on your Bias opinion, too much hype for the actual quality of the product.

I can't wait to see the new S-Gear Amps, I begin to look at Fractal Audio too closely :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Studiostriver
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13693

High gain is from the preamp. Any of the S-Gear amps can do a high gain amp sound with distortion pedals and what not. A “tight” amp section is generally better for that.

For fat jazz sounds, you would probably want to configure the amp for a more dynamic sound via reducing negative feedback. With properly compensated tone stack settings (Middle up/ Treble down), and the gain and brightness to your liking, set the Presence on 10 and Pres Freq to o, o.3, 0.5, 0.8, or 1.6 to hear various fat or a sweet upper-mid emphasis. I think the values coincide with frequency ranges. 0 may be no emphasis, 0.3=300Hz, 0.5=500Hz, 0.8=800Hz, 1.6=1.6kHz, etc - - at least it sounds that way to me. After choosing the Pres Freq, you can turn the Presence down to taste. Set the Sag up high for a vintage tube, or low for SS, amp sound. If anything, a separate Sag S-curve knob might be nice - - maybe not needed.

I agree that the S12-65 is a great jazz/fusion speaker. It can cover anything and not sound harsh. Somewhat polar opposite in the 1~2.5kHz region to an EVM12L, JBL D120 or D123, but a very nice “British” jazz sound. I think the key is the dip at ~5kHz and rise just above for some 6kHz+ detail without the brittleness of a G12H. Not as much 4~4.5kHz “chime” as a G12H type, but one of my favs for sure. I prefer it to the Red Wirez G12H-55Hz IR’s I just bought for most things. The California Combo and Special Ported cabs have a bass & midrange dip I thought worth fixing. I set up a few Reaper EQ presets using a sine sweep loop and an SA plugin. Then, fine-tuned to ear with a few guitar loops. There are surely some higher freq cab ER affects, but it’s too hard to tell what to change. They really just add some upper-mid “character”, which changes with mic position anyway. The SA graphs and ‘ReaEQ’ banks are here:

www.mediafire.com/folder/4s6co0cdy2bm4/Spkr_Cb_IR_EQ_fix
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13699

Greg, what do you think of those G12-65's? I put a pair in an old Bassman 2x12 cabinet I had and made an open back to cut a bit of the bass. I use it with my old Fender Showman using a Helix as a pedal board. It really sounds pretty fantastic, but I don't really know how the different Celestion models sound. This site has some descriptions, but its a lot like describing wine without tasting it.

I'm going to create an IR for that cabinet today, and for my friend's early 60's Tremolux cabinet that has a couple of good working Oxford 10K5's just for fun. I'll post if they are any good.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13704

I only know the sound of a G12-65 from the S12-65 - - sounds great with a lot of things. I’ve worked only in a simulated audio world since the mid 90’s. Describing the sound of a speaker is elusive. I’m curious how your IR sampling turns out. I’d look up some recording methods to get good results. You might want to try tacking in a few layers of a thick towel loosely over the back of the speakers to eliminate ER reflections at ~1kHz up from affecting the speaker sound. It might even remove the lowest midrange dip from the rear cab corners. I’d try with and without it. We probably shouldn’t go anymore OT here. We can catch up in a dedicated thread. Have fun with it.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13705

I keep thinking of cool little creative things that could be done with the convolver.
Room mics, Mics behind the amp...
  • clintmartin
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 3 months ago #13737

Class A. Vox/Dr.Z/Bad Cat/etc. I would like to see some sort of S-gear hybrid that can do those things.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds