TOPIC: What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11522

There hasn't been too much discussion around here lately, so I thought I'd ask. What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0. I don't mean just the next release, but S-gear's development over the next few years.

I'd like to see some an overdrive module with something similar to a Zendrive, Tube driver, and an old DS-1 available. A compressor would be a nice addition as well. A few new amps with at least one being high gain oriented(I'd prefer something like a Bogner) and something like an Vox with more versatility. I know there was some talk of dual amps and I think that would be a great feature. Blending 2 completely different tones would allow more options for people and it would allow people to come up with tones that would be too expensive for them to make otherwise. Lastly I'd like to see some sort of eq in the rack and as a global effect. I think it would be nice to have both. Having one in the rack would allow people to further refine their tone and having a global eq would allow those that play live to adjust their tones to the venue/equipment they're using.

This isn't meant to be a wishlist thread. Mike really doesn't need to respond(he can if he wants of course), but I thought it might be something fun to discuss.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Studiostriver
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11524

I will take whatever Mike will do. Right now I am very happy with what S Gear is doing. I prefer to have quality over quantity. I sold my Axe Fx when I bought the first version of S Gear! I saved a lot of money because the Axe FX was too much for what I was using. I am not giging though so may be other people have other needs :rock out:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raven46
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11527

Chan wrote:

This isn't meant to be a wishlist thread. Mike really doesn't need to respond(he can if he wants of course), but I thought it might be something fun to discuss.
I'll just watch with interest ;)
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11528

I agree with more of fatherjacques list - a Vox style amp, an overdrive thing and a compressor would really round out S-Gear for me.

If I was greedy, I'd love a way for the stand alone program to act as a plugin host.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sonus
  • richpjr
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11530

I'm very happy with t he current S-Gear amps, and after the amp effects. I'd sure appreciate new amps like an AC-30, but that's not my highest priority. Similarly dual amps and global EQ aren't high priorities because I can easily get that other ways, using for example MainStage or Logic Pro X.

But it would be nice to see how Mike would approach front of the amp effects like phase effects, wah, and additional gain, distortion and mid-focus EQ effects, frequency shifting, etc. I like Mike's approach to amp modeling - don't try to simulate existing amplifiers with their compromises and quirks, look at leveraging the best of analog components implemented in the digital domain to get the best of analog and digital to create new and better tones.

I'd love to see how Mike would apply this to front of the map effects to create the end-to-end tones we'll be talking about 30 years from now.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11532

Chan wrote:

There hasn't been too much discussion around here lately, so I thought I'd ask. What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0. I don't mean just the next release, but S-gear's development over the next few years.

I'd like to see some an overdrive module with something similar to a Zendrive, Tube driver, and an old DS-1 available. A compressor would be a nice addition as well. A few new amps with at least one being high gain oriented(I'd prefer something like a Bogner) and something like an Vox with more versatility. I know there was some talk of dual amps and I think that would be a great feature. Blending 2 completely different tones would allow more options for people and it would allow people to come up with tones that would be too expensive for them to make otherwise. Lastly I'd like to see some sort of eq in the rack and as a global effect. I think it would be nice to have both. Having one in the rack would allow people to further refine their tone and having a global eq would allow those that play live to adjust their tones to the venue/equipment they're using.

I agree totally with every update aspect you said,but main thing for me would be modern amp and screamer pedal.When that released I would use only S-Gear for all my guitar recordings.Till know I will use TSE X50 2.4 for that application as alternative,but we all know when Mike release it it gonna blow the competition like it did with amps we already have.

All other stuff Chan said would help for sure,but above mentioned are priorities,at least for me. :rock out:
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Studiostriver.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11533

I'll take what we have now which is perfect, add the often suggested Drive Thing which includes an overdrive, distortion and fuzz circuits, some form of compressor, put it all in a floor based hardware form and we're done.

I know a lot of musicians are using S-Gear live with an interface and laptop, but that's not for me. I like what Fractal is doing with their upcoming AX8, everything is there that you need and no expression pedal which keeps it smaller and I would prefer to use my own wah and volume pedal anyway.
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by RIblues.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11534

Drive thing:
1. Tube screamer (Ibanez TS808)
2. Big Fuzz (EHX Big Muff Pi)
3. Turbo Distortion (Boss DS-2)
4. Classic Fuzz (Fuzz Face)

Maybe just the Tube Screamer in front of the Jackal is enough for modern high gain tones?

A compressor would be wonderful for funk rhythm playing and also adding sustain to cleans.

I'd love a wah wah in S-Gear for convenience!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Studiostriver, sonus
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11535

stefanha wrote:

Drive thing:
1. Tube screamer (Ibanez TS808)
2. Big Fuzz (EHX Big Muff Pi)
3. Turbo Distortion (Boss DS-2)
4. Classic Fuzz (Fuzz Face)

Maybe just the Tube Screamer in front of the Jackal is enough for modern high gain tones?

A compressor would be wonderful for funk rhythm playing and also adding sustain to cleans.

I'd love a wah wah in S-Gear for convenience!

I personally tested Jackal and no it does not doing modern metal tone very well.
Maybe if adding eq like on Wayfarer would"upgrade"and make it possible.
For know it lacks low end,but not just any low end,more modern tight low end that you hear on new era amps. Whatever gain or drive rich tone you wanna make for rhythm it very often sounds loose or flubby at low end...

That is the biggest problem in my experience...
The second high end tends to sound fizzy.We need more opened high frequencies which did not fizz that much on high gain.

Beside that amp sound great and feels great on other 80thies hard`n`heavy tones.
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11536

Studiostriver wrote:

I personally tested Jackal and no it does not doing modern metal tone very well.

Thanks for explaining. I don't play or listen to metal much but everyone now and again I want that tone and I haven't been able to achieve it yet.

Adding a modern high gain amp would be a good move in terms of opening up another market segment for S-Gear. Right now there is the perception that S-Gear doesn't deliver that kind of tone. Once that is solved a wave of new users will be able to buy and enjoy S-Gear.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11537

Same here... I feel that I've been able to capture *acceptable* metal tones with the current amps but I'm no aficionado of the genre and the experts seem to be asking for amps tuned differently. That's fair and indeed the user base is enormous. I do a lot of work with a software manufacturer in Scandinavia and that market alone has countless metal fans. They're everywhere and so it would make sense to attract them.

Personally, I feel that an AC-30 is the top option missing from the current app. I use hardware pedals but great sims would be a plus. It seems that that would require a lot of Mike's time and I don't know if it would pay off the same way that some other upgrades would, but I wouldn't kick a virtual pedal board outta bed.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11538

elambo wrote:

Same here... I feel that I've been able to capture *acceptable* metal tones with the current amps but I'm no aficionado of the genre and the experts seem to be asking for amps tuned differently. That's fair and indeed the user base is enormous. I do a lot of work with a software manufacturer in Scandinavia and that market alone has countless metal fans. They're everywhere and so it would make sense to attract them.

Personally, I feel that an AC-30 is the top option missing from the current app. I use hardware pedals but great sims would be a plus. It seems that that would require a lot of Mike's time and I don't know if it would pay off the same way that some other upgrades would, but I wouldn't kick a virtual pedal board outta bed.

Well I find with wayfarer I can achieve better metal tones(with screamer),that new update eq works very good.
But still I managed to get something similar to Petrucci`s rhythm tone which is not too metal by itself if you want to play more modern extreme genres .
With Jackal I have problems I already mentioned in previous comments.

There are really tones of metal genres that needed much agressive and modern tone.But yet organic and harmonically rich with nice feel like those vintage amps we have on S-Gear already.

Specially dedicated amp just for metal would make me really happy,with clear cold clean tones,precise tight low end and very opened high end without being harsh or fizzy...
ENGL savage/powerball would the best example of what I talking about.

On 4:47min is playing.

None of famous vst brands managed to make amp that sounds good by itself for metal music without sounding muddy,or without definiton,tightness in tone,or without using screamer pedal to make it sound good.
So I`m pretty sure if Mike make this amp it will be a big sale product without a doubt.
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11539

Well, since my old 2008 MacBook Pro is on it's last leg and I've been primarily using an iPad Air for everything, an iOS version would be most welcomed :)
  • Codeseven
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11540

Studiostriver wrote:

ENGL savage/powerball would the best example of what I talking about.

Yes that crunch channel sounds great!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 10 months ago #11555

Please allow me to chime in.
S-Gear is awesome!
Best guitar plugin I've tried (and I've spent some time trying them all).
One thing I love about it - apart from its sound, of course - is its simplicity. It's like having a small collection of a handful of really nice boutique amps. It's manageable. Not overwhelming.
So I'm not jumping into the bandwagon of "more more & more".
S-Gear is complex enough to keep me busy, simple enough to keep me hooked, and good enough to keep me coming back every day.

However, if the emulations are good and mostly everything works ok, I don't see any other way of evolving that doesn't include more and more stuff and complexity being added. I'll leave those requests to the more options-hungry users.

This is what I would like:

1. Different size windows would help. I think it's Bias (Positive Grid) that has the S/M/L switches that resize the plugin to different sizes and show you different options accordingly. I found that very convenient. Sometimes I use a laptop, sometimes a big ass TV screen at the studio. Different sizes catter for all tastes.

2. Some kind of MIDI dump functionality that forces S-Gear to send its parameter/field values to its assigned output on load. That way the physical controllers we use (Arturia Spark, in my case) would just pick up the S-Gear param values where they are, and go from there (without weird jumps to 0).

3. Although I use an external physical controller, there's also a lot of clicking with the mouse/trackpad involved. For everyone, I'd say. Why not have bigger switches for those functions that need to be pressed more critically (effects bypass, for example... it's not an intuitive experience to take the right hand away from your guitar, slide across the trackpad, and then spend 5 seconds trying to reach the small little 'X' that bypasses the reverb only).

4. Maybe have a revamped S-Gear I/O panel that also includes the individual effects bypass switches, instead of the "all or no effects" that's there now? Or even a mixer-like series of knobs where you could adjust the amp, cab, mod, delay and reverb levels all at the same place instead of visually having to find out where they are in differently designed effects units (complete with Solo and Mute?)

5. Why not sell the main S-Gear plugin for an affordable price - with just some amps and effects - and then charge for each additional amp or effect package? That way you could spend a little and have the basics; and purchase additional packages and speaker models and pedals as you see fit. Best of it all, the purchases would be affordable and continuous.
It's what the french guys from Two Notes actually do with their Wall of Sound plugin. They give it away for free, and then you purchase the cabs and microphones you want for about $10 each.

6. If you wanna go Eventide-weird with it, why not create an advanced option that gives you a simple modulation matrix that allows you to use some parameter values to control others?

Wow! Look at the size of this post!
Time to sign off!

Cheers!
André Toscano
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, Carrollina
  • andretoscano
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #11561

I only have 3 requests:

1. Fix the problem with the delay trails continuing when turned off

2. Vox

3. MIDI Learn
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #11582

Haven't purchased it yet, but was blown away with the demo!
Here's an idea I think would be cool (if it could be done!). If it's a stupid idea, then it didn't come from me.
If it is a great idea... free no charge.

The background is some articles and videos I've seen where specialized EQ is used on clean amplifiers (like SS) to tune the frequency response to the guitar cabinet and result in as close to flat response speaker output as possible. One example uses the Behringer DEQ2496 and a calibration mic to yield a flat response.
and...
since most audio interfaces have at least 2 input channels,
and...
most guitars have only 1 output.

If one used a calibration mic pointed at the speaker up close, and routed it into the 2nd input.
The software could monitor the speaker output and dynamically alter the EQ prior to the computer output in order to make the actual output sound more "true" to the modelled sound coming from the final stages of the software.

This would be for flat response only. Full Frequency cannot be achieved with a guitar speaker, nor can an 8 inch speaker sound like a 4x12 but it could probably sound better than it would if you just run your computer into your amp's effect return in the standard "one way" implementation we now use..

I just think that a feedback loop (for analysis, not for audio) could allow the software to provide adjustment or even just information to indicate how "true" the sound is. Could also provide for some interesting dynamics if the software can monitor the characteristics of the resultant physical sound.
Could be useful in tuning the EQ with a true FRFR system and/or house PA. Feedback suppression (if desired) etc.

Now I am not an audio or electrical engineer, so there could well be thousands of reasons it couldn't work, but I am mercifully free of the ravages of practical knowledge. I am curious though as to why "full range" is necessary when most guitar amp speaker output is within a well defined and fairly narrow frequency range.

I have a cheapo Peavey Bandit 112 SS amp that does a crappy job of tube emulation, but it is really LOUD and has discrete power amp input to a super clean SS power amp. I used S-Gear straight into the power amp and had a fabulous time damaging my ears, but wondered how different it really sounded since I haven't used most of the amps I was auditioning. I also don't want to buy a whole new FRFR amp/speaker chain for gigging or jamming, although I might like to replace the sheffield speaker with an eminence PA speaker for wider range.
And I want my amp to look like an amp. even if it is cheap.

Mike, I am curious to hear your thoughts on the subject. If it is really is a stupid idea, please be gentle.
Thanks
Murdog
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #11585

murdog44 wrote:

If one used a calibration mic pointed at the speaker up close, and routed it into the 2nd input.
The software could monitor the speaker output and dynamically alter the EQ prior to the computer output in order to make the actual output sound more "true" to the modelled sound coming from the final stages of the software.

Not a stupid idea at all, this kind of thinking nurtures new solutions. I've heard more and more positive reports about the performance of room equalization tools and essentially this is the same task. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if you could use an existing tool to equalise the system to a predefined response curve, i.e. not just targeting a flat response. It might also be the case that some lower cost speaker systems simply can't reproduce some sounds in a nice way and therefore you need to EQ according to what the speaker system is capable off.

-Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #11587

mike wrote:

murdog44 wrote:

Not a stupid idea at all, this kind of thinking nurtures new solutions. I've heard more and more positive reports about the performance of room equalization tools and essentially this is the same task. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if you could use an existing tool to equalise the system to a predefined response curve, i.e. not just targeting a flat response. It might also be the case that some lower cost speaker systems simply can't reproduce some sounds in a nice way and therefore you need to EQ according to what the speaker system is capable off.

-Mike

Its interesting idea,but to me personally the most concern is:
1 How realistic it sounds recorded (first of all)
2 The feel
3 Different types of sounds to be achieved (amps,pedals,effects ect.)
4 Midi Implementation
And everything else is bonus+ but not mandatory .

For know we have first two fulfilled very well. ;)
  • Studiostriver
  • Tone Master
None existing
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Studiostriver.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What would you like to see in S-gear 3.0 3 years 9 months ago #11588

mike wrote:

murdog44 wrote:

-Mike

Home audio room calibrations systems (Audyssey, for one) are getting very good at optimizing the room for flatter responses, to the extent that the acoustics will allow. The problem with using that technology in the DAW (or within the instrument plugin itself) is that the correction eq is only designed for use in that specific room -- it would sound different elsewhere, perhaps dramatically so - and therefore the correction software must be turned OFF when printing your final mix. If you don't remove it the eq will be a part of your mix and it could sound terrible in other rooms.

And that's been a major problem with them and why some people I know have stopped using correction algorithms. If the software could automatically turn itself off while bouncing final music tracks then accidents would be avoided but I don't know of any which does this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikmock
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds