TOPIC: Linux Version, please!

Linux Version, please! 9 years 4 weeks ago #188

Hi,

make a Linux Version, please!

Tested it today under wine in Ubuntu 10.04 and its working even on my old PC- but a Linux- Version would be great...! (Many other sims don't work stand- alone in Linux)

... with one or two overdrive/ distortion- pedals, a tuner and tap tempo for the delay, please!

Have I said, please all ready?

Thanks,

Matthias
Old bread isnt hard- no bread is hard...

(Translated from German- Mother in law told me...!) ;-)
Last edit: 9 years 3 weeks ago by bukka. Reason: my bad english- hope its correct now! ;-) Sorry!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Linux Version, please! 9 years 4 weeks ago #195

v. interesting ;)

Thanks for the report.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bukka
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Linux Version, please! 9 years 3 weeks ago #201

Works with my old P4, 2.6 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM under latest Wine (1.3.26) on Ubuntu 10.04 with realtime kernel.

Jackd: Frames: 256, Buffer:2 -> Latency 11.6 ms with 44.1/16 bit- no XRuns! (few glitches with 128 Frames, 5.8 ms...)

Interface is an A&H ZED 10 (unfortunately 16bit only)

All S-Gear Presets working: with delay and boxes...

But a Linux version without the wineasio drivers would be nice. Please! ;)

Thank you!

Cheers!

Matthias
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Linux Version, please! 9 years 3 weeks ago #214

Sorry, me again... :whistle:

please think of an bootable USB-drive or a live-disc with a (very) small linux distribution with just the things, that somebody could need for playing your great software. Nothing, that slows the computer down or needs much memory.

Just plug it in, connect your interface and boot it. I never used an amp sim live, but wouldn't that be helpfull and much more reliable than to boot a huge os with all the features that you don't need in that moment?

Wich os can do this, too?

Maybe, i try this out someday- of course with wine and the windows version of the S-Gear :cunning: Because, it doesn't seem to be very difficult do built an own live cd with linux.

Haven't i read in an interview, that somebody thinks, that in future more and more computers will be used as amps?

Look at all the big consoles in live- mixing: Very much of them (iLive, that i love very much, for example) use linux. Mayby, i wouldn't dare to use a desk, that runs under windows live... :unsure:

Next thing to think about is maybe an interface with the software on it that is: BOOTABLE? How difficult would this be to be build?

Or am i just a dreamer? :dry:

Thank you,

an other guy from germany,

cheers,

Matthias

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Linux Version, please! 9 years 2 weeks ago #229

Hi again, Mike!

Nice to see, that you find it interesting too.

Yes, the Mac Mini could be a good environment for the s-gear. No need to build and programm DSPs etc. But i think, some good Notebook-parts could do the job, also...?!?

Or even an existing computer owned by your customers.

And Scuffham would be the very first company to have a Linux- Version of prof. guitar-amp-sim and a bootable device... Maybe this could be usefull for a good marketing strategy? (Who needs a whole computer or. os to just play guitar live: Plug and play)

Allways nice to hear from you and all the others here in this forum!

All the best to you and the s-gear!

Thank you,

Matthias

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Linux Version, please! 7 years 10 months ago #2753

This is a bit old thread but I ask my question anyway, because I have not found any other mention in the net of S-Gear running on wineasio (on Linux). I aim to use S-Gear as an effect box on gigs by using it on ASUS Zenbook (with Behringer FCB 1010 pedal controller) and also use it on my studio machine. On both machines I have dual boot for Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04. The shortest latencies that Zenbook (on W 7) is capable for are not very good for live performance. The usual story has been that the latencies have been much shorter and and stability better on Linux than on Windows, in spite of using W-specific applications through wine and wineasio, and W 7 trimmed for audio use. Therefore I use Linux almost exclusively in my studio and other work too.

Bukka, you were able to install and use S-Gear on top of wine + wineasio. Were there some tricks how you did that or was it just a plain installation? I am able to install S-Gear on Ubuntu but cannot actually launch it. It stops on both machines in "licensing error" and I guess something is wrong, other than licensing. Wine version is 1.4 and wineasio 0.75.

Cheers

JK
  • bellforest51
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Linux Version, please! 7 years 10 months ago #2800

Hi JK,

sorry, i think its a little to long ago. I´m actually using W7. I remember, that i tweaked wine a little. I dont remember if the S-Gear worked from a plain installation.

I think you could try different version of wine with S-Gear or wait for a newer one. That is what i did.

Sorry that i cant help you better and again sorry for my bad English.

Good luck!

Matthias

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Linux Version, please! 7 years 10 months ago #2801

Hi bukka,

thank you anyway. With CrossOver 9.2 I got a bit further, but it doesn't find wineasio, no matter what I do. With newest CrossOver I'm for some reason in the same situation that I am with the plain Wine. I must do as you suggest, try in other directions.

Cheers

JK
  • bellforest51
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Re: Linux Version, please! 7 years 7 months ago #4233

I found this topic a bit later...
Mike said something about using Ipad as rack, I think linux deserves a working version because there are more android tablets than ipads running in the world
:)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Linux Version, please! 2 days 22 hours ago #22083

Hi all. Although I'm a veteran S-Gear user, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post... To this outdated topic :)
I had to abandon S-Gear some time ago because the Mac system I used was old (Snow Leopard), just like S-Gear, all audio applications dropped updates for it so I had to move on to Linux. After that I've been using ios applications for guitar modelling, which are nowadays fantastic by the way but not as versatile as S-Gear. Until today...
I had tried to run up to date version of S-Gear before, and couldn't succeed. I guess wine support for Windows 8 to 10 apps still lack something.
Today I managed to install and run old version S-Gear v2.50 successfully on a Linux Mint 20 system. Everything worked fine. Graphics are sleek, sound quality is great with full jack support and low latency (wineasio connects to jack automatically at startup if jack is running). Version is wine-4.0 and wineasio is installed using KXStudio reps. Running in Win 7 mode.
By the way, I installed S-Gear v2.50 64bit vst to the system with linvst and this is successful too. I ran it in Ardour and Waveform11; and no problem at all.
The next thing for me is to update the app slowly (first to v2.51, then to v2.71, checking which version runs best (I keep old setups luckily), and maybe (I hope someday) I'll manage to run the up to date version eventually.
And again; native linux support would be great for S-Gear.
  • michotakis
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Linux Version, please! 2 days 20 hours ago #22084

michotakis wrote:

Hi all. Although I'm a veteran S-Gear user, I'm new to the forum and this is my first post... To this outdated topic :)
I had to abandon S-Gear some time ago because the Mac system I used was old (Snow Leopard), just like S-Gear, all audio applications dropped updates for it so I had to move on to Linux. After that I've been using ios applications for guitar modelling, which are nowadays fantastic by the way but not as versatile as S-Gear. Until today...
I had tried to run up to date version of S-Gear before, and couldn't succeed. I guess wine support for Windows 8 to 10 apps still lack something.
Today I managed to install and run old version S-Gear v2.50 successfully on a Linux Mint 20 system. Everything worked fine. Graphics are sleek, sound quality is great with full jack support and low latency (wineasio connects to jack automatically at startup if jack is running). Version is wine-4.0 and wineasio is installed using KXStudio reps. Running in Win 7 mode.
By the way, I installed S-Gear v2.50 64bit vst to the system with linvst and this is successful too. I ran it in Ardour and Waveform11; and no problem at all.
The next thing for me is to update the app slowly (first to v2.51, then to v2.71, checking which version runs best (I keep old setups luckily), and maybe (I hope someday) I'll manage to run the up to date version eventually.

S-Gear v2.9 is a simpler installation than v2.7 and earlier. The only problem might be Wine support for HiDPI.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Linux Version, please! 19 hours 58 minutes ago #22099

mike wrote:

michotakis wrote:

S-Gear v2.9 is a simpler installation than v2.7 and earlier. The only problem might be Wine support for HiDPI.

I don't know what the problem with v2.9 is. Setup completed OK but program crashed at startup.

By the way, v2.71 installs and works just as perfect. I forgot to mention; winetricks should be installed and using it some windows fonts should be installed; or else no text will be shown on the app. I guess installing arial may be enough.

I also tried the app using wine 5.0 on another pc with Linux Mint 20. Runs just as smooth as in wine 4.0.
  • michotakis
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 19 hours 56 minutes ago by michotakis.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.463 seconds