TOPIC: 60-cycle hum

60-cycle hum 2 weeks 5 days ago #22293

I've been using S-Gear with great success & pleasure but am finding one problem: some presets (thinking particularly of "Mr. Ford") include quite a bit of 60-cycle hum that really interferes with my attempts to record with it (yes I've ruled out other possible sources of the hum). I've experimented with the noise gate w/in the preset, and I'm thinking of investing in an EHX Hum Debugger--but those approaches both seem like compromise/tone sucks. So my question is, is this high noise factor inherent in the product, or has something gone wrong at my end? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 2 weeks 5 days ago #22294

NO noise on my side
The following user(s) said Thank You: gsoffiare
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 2 weeks 4 days ago #22308

FWIW, I don't have any hum/noise either with any of the presets either.
  • ryentzer
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 2 weeks 4 days ago #22310

You say you've ruled out other possible sources of the hum. I say do some more troubleshooting....
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 2 weeks 3 days ago #22312

I agree. I was hoping this was a problem others had had (and solved)--but since that's evidently not the case, I realize I need to re-examine my setup. It's perplexing because I'm using a guitar with humbuckers and a well-shielded cable, and the problem vanishes if I switch to any other VST in my arsenal, with the very same guitar/cable/Scarlett input/etc. Thanks to all who offered their perspectives!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 2 weeks 2 days ago #22315

Could it be there is more gain being used in S-Gear, or perhaps different EQ that accentuates the hum? If guitar/cable/Scarlett input/etc were identical and the hum only appears with S-Gear, the first thing I would suspect would be that your settings in S-Gear are amplifying some underlying noise that already exists in the input. Keep us posted on what you find.
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 2 weeks 2 days ago #22316

I will! Thanks very much for the suggestion.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 2 weeks 12 hours ago #22318

Ground loops make me cringe. I've been engineering for ~30 years and it's still the most frustrating part of the gig. They can hide in the strangest places.

In fact, just last week, while trying to track down a similar hum from a subwoofer, I ultimately found that the cable box was the culprit. Running the cable company's coax input through a power conditioner kicked the hum all the way to the curb. Completely silent now. I'd tried everything else. Every component was plugged into the same circuit and everything but the main power amp was passing through a conditioner. Even the power cables crossed audio cables perpendicularly. As a last resort, I moved that coax cable. Bingo!

All that is to say that it may not be an obvious fix. As mentioned above, it has nothing to do with S-Gear (certain amps are merely highlighting the most offensive frequencies).

However, in your case, if those amps are silent when the guitar is unplugged then we'll want to look at the guitar, too. It's common to hear noise when pointed parallel to the computer monitor. With my older Strats, I have to move my chair so that the guitar is at a 90 degree angle, then it nearly disappears.

This is the nature of modern home studios where there's electromagnetic and radio frequencies coming from all our devices. Cell phones. iPads. Laptops. And, unavoidably, the computer you're using with S-Gear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: soundog, gsoffiare
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 1 week 6 days ago #22324

I got a lot of good advice in this thread. Having given up hope of a miracle cure, what I've found so far is that with this particular preset, for some reason the "overdrive" switch really introduces a storm of bad noise (not so, with the other presets based on the Duke). It also helps to back off the gain setting (which is maxed out w/ the preset). From the guitar end, lowering my input by 15 dB (I ran it through a direct box w/pad) further reduces the hum (but of course also diminishes my tone). I also found that shifting my angle of sitting has an effect on the noise, but in fact my usual pose (guitar parallel to laptop) is the quietest, whereas turning to 90 degrees makes it worse. I tried different guitars w/different humbuckers, and various cables laid in various directions--no discernible effect. The conclusion I'm coming to is that, as elambo indicated, the issue of electromagnetic interference in the home studio environment is complex and even mysterious. I think I need to accept the fact that, by whatever quirk of my setup, this particular preset isn't going to be my go-to option--but that's okay because there are others that will suffice. S-gear is still my favorite plugin! "Barking Tweed" by itself is worth the full price of the product.
The following user(s) said Thank You: soundog
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 1 week 6 days ago #22326

Glad you're getting it sorted out. These kinds of noises when recording guitars can be maddening. I use a Strat (no humbuckers) so its a noisy thing. Over time, I've figured out exactly where I need for best settings (guitar knobs), computer interface, etc... AND which lights can be on or off in my little studio ..... AND where I need to be sitting .... AND the angle of my guitar relative to my computer and monitor!

Even with all of that, I sometimes use a noise reduction plug-in , although S-Gears gate does a damn good job.
www.johnplainsong.com
Last edit: 1 week 6 days ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 1 week 5 days ago #22328

Also, try this plugin
pvamps.blogspot.com/2015/05/pvnonoise.html
it's free - so absolutely nothing to lose.
It works well for me.

Put it first in the chain
www.scuffhamamps.com/forum/6-general-dis...ldynamics-hum-killer
The following user(s) said Thank You: soundog, gsoffiare
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

60-cycle hum 1 week 5 days ago #22339

Took your advice & downloaded Noise Suppression. It really does work pretty well! Definitely cuts the noise down to a more tolerable level. I'm also interested in the Melda MSpectralDynamics plugin, but this is great for now. Thanks!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds