TOPIC: MIDI control surfaces and "soft takeover"

MIDI control surfaces and "soft takeover" 3 days 18 hours ago #22080

Using S-Gear in standalone mode, I've successfully mapped all 50 available controllers to my Korg nanoKONTROL Studio control surface. Great for tweaking of amp and *Thing settings.

When I use the nanoKONTROL with Reaper (DAW) it supports soft takeover - the value of a software widget (such as a track fader) doesn't change until the physical knob or fader value matches or "catches up" to that setting. Under S-Gear, the software setting immediately adjusts to the current value of the physical control.

So, for example, I can set the amp gain on a preset to 5 using the control surface, then switch to another preset where the current gain value might be 8. As soon as I touch the physical control, the preset's gain value jumps immediately to 5.

A couple of questions:
  1. Can I configure S-Gear to support soft takeover as described or is this a wishlist request?
  2. Would this work differently If I used the S-Gear VST under a DAW or VST Host?

Many thanks
  • BlisterFingers
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 3 days 18 hours ago by BlisterFingers.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI control surfaces and "soft takeover" 3 days 17 minutes ago #22081

Hi there, thanks for posting. S-Gear doesn't internally support this concept of "soft takeover'" ,so yes, it would be a wishlist item. However, I'm curious that if Reaper supports this then is it possible to map incoming Midi to plug-in parameter automation, along with the "soft takeover"? From what you are saying it only seems to work for Reaper parameters.
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 3 days 16 minutes ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

MIDI control surfaces and "soft takeover" 2 days 10 hours ago #22086

Hi Mike, there's a good YT video here on automating FX parameters in Reaper.

From my limited testing to date, all of the Reaper native plugins work out-of-the-box (as you would expect) and support soft takeover when mapped to a MIDI control surface.

For S-Gear and other 3rd-party plugins there's a 3rd-party VSTi called ReaLearn that helps greatly with the MIDI mapping - without it it tends to be a bit hit or miss. Of the 2 or 3 VST's I tried including S-Gear, none of them seem to support the soft takeover feature.

I successfully mapped the Wayfarer tremolo intensity to one of the pots on my nanoKONTROL studio, and was able to record parameter automation.

It appears that support for soft takeover functionality would need to be built directly into the plugin, but noting that I'm still quite new to Reaper and MIDI so don't take my experiences as gospel :)

I'm sure you must have a big feature backlog and this wouldn't be a high priority item, but request that you add it to the list. I'm happy to help test in the future.

Dougal
  • BlisterFingers
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds