TOPIC: Text is blurry at 125% zoom

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 1 month 1 week ago #20833

Especially in I/O section, but also many other places.

From what I can tell it's because the text is just burned in the images, rather than being nicely rendered in realtime, which would've been a better solution for scalable GUIs.

EDIT: Actually text is blurry in some places even at 150%, and at this point yeah, it's probably because text is not realtime rendered.
  • EvilDragon
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by EvilDragon.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 1 month 1 week ago #20838

Do you see any difference between the DAW and Standalone?

Some DAW's handle HiDPI better than others. On my 5k screen, BitWig, Reaper 6, Cantabile, Studio One 4 and Cubase 10 all have very sharp rendering. Some others that do not fully support HiDPI produce pixelated or slightly blurred scaled results.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 3 weeks 6 days ago #21009

No difference at all between DAW (Reaper - not using its HiDPI mode) and standalone, afraid to say.

Regular HD monitors here (2x 1920x1200 Dell 24" monitors).
  • EvilDragon
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 3 weeks 6 days ago by EvilDragon.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 3 weeks 4 days ago #21015

Yes - seeing the same here. I don't have a problem paying the upgrade fee to support Hi-DPi, but it looks like it was only partially implemented. The preset text and some of the buttons are scalable, but the main amp graphics do not have Hi-Res resources - they are just scaled up and pixellated like a zoomed in jpeg.

Just look at the difference between the sharp text and the pixellated graphics in the screenshot below. I think it's very misleading to call this a HiDPI/Scalable GUI upgrade.

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 3 weeks 3 days ago #21018

Virtuoso wrote:

I don't have a problem paying the upgrade fee to support Hi-DPi, but it looks like it was only partially implemented. The preset text and some of the buttons are scalable, but the main amp graphics do not have Hi-Res resources - they are just scaled up and pixellated like a zoomed in jpeg.

To me, the objects that are scalable are the important and functional ones. Anything else is just aesthetics and would be positioned at the bottom of my list of things for Mike to be spending time on IMO.
(I wish such a list existed!)
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 3 weeks 3 days ago #21023

kierank wrote:

To me, the objects that are scalable are the important and functional ones. Anything else is just aesthetics and would be positioned at the bottom of my list of things for Mike to be spending time on IMO.
(I wish such a list existed!)

Agreed. The size of the workable GUI (not the image posted here which is exaggerated) has text and graphics offered in a sharp and legible way. I couldn't hardly care less about some pixelation within up & down arrows.
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by elambo.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 3 weeks 3 days ago #21026

Mike apparently explained in another thread that not all amps were revamped. His wife does all the graphics and she took the time to model all amps in 3D to extract the graphics, but some of them looked quite a bit different and Mike preferred to retain the aesthetic feel to some of those amps, including the Duke (if you scale up other amps like the Wayfarer, they seem to look nice and sharp).

They might eventually be updated, but this is just a minor cosmetic issue.
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
My instrumental EP: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/political-rollercoaster
My other EP with songs: doctor7.bandcamp.com/album/three-ways-of-telling-a-story
I am an artist endorsed by Kinman pickups.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 3 weeks 2 days ago #21028

elambo wrote:

[The size of the workable GUI (not the image posted here which is exaggerated) has text and graphics offered in a sharp and legible way. I couldn't hardly care less about some pixelation within up & down arrows.
It's not just a couple of arrows - it's all the controls and the mostly tiny text on 3 of the 5 amps, plus the IO module. I'm running at 6016x3384 resolution - the image above is a straight screen grab (which obviously is going to look huge on most typical monitors) and the graphics are either too small to read at 100% or fuzzy enough to give you a headache when upscaled, especially when contrasted with the crisp sharp text in the preset menu.

For anyone on typical resolution monitors you're not even going to notice an issue, but the whole point of a Hi-DPI version is to make plugins look clear and legible in exactly this use case, so I'm disappointed that it hasn't been done for all the amps and modules.

Edit: there's no ideal way to demonstrate what I mean, but here's a screen grab showing a proper Hi-DPI plugin (Modo Bass) next to S-Gear 2.9, reduced to 1920x1080 so hopefully you can view it full-screen. Look at the relative clarity in the onscreen text - that's the issue.

Last edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Virtuoso.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 3 weeks 1 day ago #21034

I've more closely examined the controls and knobs and see what you're referring to, however my brain hadn't flagged them as noteworthy until it was mentioned here.

I'm sure the GUI will receive updates over time but I don't personally feel any kind of hindrance from the current iteration while in session. I've checked on 4K and 1080p screens, with 125% as the most practical size for me.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 3 weeks 11 hours ago #21044

"Over time", when it took this long to even release the update and then touted improvements are not quite fully there? Egh.
  • EvilDragon
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 2 weeks 6 days ago #21046

I've got a big honkin' iMac Retina display and, yeah, maybe some of the graphics look a little fuzzy at 150%, but it hasn't been bothersome to me at all. Frankly, I didn't even notice any shortcoming until I saw this thread. (The earlier version, on the other hand, caused me to lean into the monitor when making adjustments.)
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." - Jack Handey
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 2 weeks 6 days ago #21049

The issue here is that a bunch of text labels are hardly readable even on non-HiDPI monitors... which is really appalling considering it's year 2020, and that this was a paid update.
  • EvilDragon
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by EvilDragon.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 2 weeks 6 days ago #21050

EvilDragon wrote:

a bunch of text labels are hardly readable even on non-HiDPI monitors

Hardly readable is serious. Can you upload a screenshot so Mike and the group can see what you're referring to?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 2 weeks 6 days ago #21051

I am almost blind and it is better than it was so I am satisfied.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Text is blurry at 125% zoom 2 weeks 5 days ago #21054

All text labels in v2.9 are rendered HiDPI and should appear clear and legible at all Zoom settings.

As a reference, here are clips of the S-Gear I/O rack at 200% down to 100%:

The Standalone App should render as per the image above. If you feel that you are seeing lesser quality, please use the contact link in the footer to get in touch. When using S-Gear as a plug-in results may vary since some DAWs do not set HiDPI scaling on the plug-in window.
Attachments:
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.539 seconds