TOPIC: "Live Performance"

"Live Performance" 4 weeks 2 days ago #25287

Good day,

As a solo fingerstyle guitarist, I take extra care pre|during|post performance, to ensure that what the audience is hearing at any given time is "me". I avoid therefore, anything-and-everything that would colour, or "improve" what is being actually heard at any given moment during a live performance.
• For example, pitch correction is employed by many today...which I sincerely believe to be "wrong".
Have a peep here...

With the above in mind, I do have a few questions...
[Q#, my question...R#, your response]

Q1: Is it not possible to employ S-Gear as one would a physical guitar amp configuration?
R1:

Q2: Is it not possible to employ S-Gear without pre/post processing?
• Interestingly, I do consider compression as "pre-processing" and therefore, avoid the employment of such.
R2:

Q3: During a solo classical guitar performance, all that the performer has between them and the audience is the guitar.
• My question is, "Is it possible to employ an electric guitar and an amp sim configuration in the same identical manner - all else being equal?"
R3:

I am looking forward to any responses to the above. Thank you to all whom respond. Appreciated.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Sincerely,
mr_es335
www.sentinelmusicstudios.com
Last edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Live Performance" 3 weeks 6 days ago #25290

Good day,
Any responses? Anyone?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Sincerely,
mr_es335
www.sentinelmusicstudios.com
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

"Live Performance" 2 weeks 5 days ago #25300

Q1: Is it not possible to employ S-Gear as one would a physical guitar amp configuration?
R1: Yes, and there are a number of different options that have different benefits/challenges depending on what you are trying to do. If you want the sound of a traditional guitar amp in the room (which for solo electric guitar might be highly desirable), then you need to use a traditional guitar cabinet with a power amp, and run S-Gear without Convolver. Another option is to run S-Gear into a quality PA acting as a FRFR and using Convolver. This would be more like having a mic'd guitar amp into the FOH. Either would be fine.

Q2: Is it not possible to employ S-Gear without pre/post processing?
• Interestingly, I do consider compression as "pre-processing" and therefore, avoid the employment of such.
R2: Depending on your needs, yes. There are effects that traditionally go in front of the amp, compression (as an effect), phasor, Uni-Vibe, Flanger (possibly), fuzz, distortion, EQ, sometimes Chorus, etc. S-Gear provides some of these, but not all. If you don't need them, then you should be fine. Post processing might include compression, and EQ. But I don't think these are necessary and many would be easily provided in a modern (Digital) PA anyway. But I use S-Gear without pre or post processing in recording all the time. It has enough flexibility to likely get what you need.

Q3: During a solo classical guitar performance, all that the performer has between them and the audience is the guitar.
• My question is, "Is it possible to employ an electric guitar and an amp sim configuration in the same identical manner - all else being equal?"
R3: Yes, but the style and feel of the music would be very different. Check out Tom Bukovac's videos. He plays lots of interesting solo electric guitar pieces. S-Gear would work great tor this. You will likely need MIDI. I highly recommend Morningstar MC8.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.040 seconds