TOPIC: Any comments on the new compressor?

Any comments on the new compressor? 1 year 2 weeks ago #24761

I was late getting the news of the release of the new compressor pedal. To my surprise there doesn’t seem to be a lot of posts about it on this forum (only a little splash in the News + Info section), and not much I can find in the way of reviews—no YouTube videos to date.

Now that the SG-S compressor has been out for a couple of months, I am wondering what S-Gear users have to say about it:

How does it rate? Does it replace your go-to compressor? Do you use it all the time? Do you use it only some of the time, and if so, for what styles?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 1 year 1 week ago #24781

How does it rate?
2 thumbs up.

Does it replace your go-to compressor?
yes.

Do you use it all the time?
yes.

Why?
because it's the perfect match for these amps.
  • jackson white
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 1 year 4 days ago #24792

Thank you, Jackson, for your response.

I must say that I’m surprised that, after quite a few views of this thread at the time of writing, no one else seems to have anything to say about the compressor. Maybe it’s because the quality of whatever Mike produces is so consistently first class that it goes without saying?

I will be giving the compressor a workout this weekend...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 1 year 3 days ago #24793

Or perhaps folks have gotten used to using compression from the DAW?
  • Dirk Diggler
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 1 year 2 days ago #24796

Dilaco wrote:

because the quality of whatever Mike produces is so consistently first class that it goes without saying?

i think that has a lot to do with it. (or peeps here might be more about music than forum posts.)

had been using either 1176/dbx160 when needed, been pulling up older projects and replacing with the S-Gear comp. it has stuck every single time. love it.
  • jackson white
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 11 months 4 weeks ago #24801

I'm loving it and think it sounds great, very versatile too.
  • aamicarelli
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 11 months 6 days ago #24856

Yep, to my ears it works like a good compressor ought too !
I use an MXR Custom Comp on my board, and usually always on (subtle not sucky)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 11 months 5 days ago #24857

I sold my Keeley and use the S Gear one now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hcarlh
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 10 months 2 weeks ago #24880

My comment: I really like it and use it now when I need a compressor.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 10 months 1 week ago #24885

Still in the experimenting stage so far. So far so good.

It just sounds good. I haven't really spent much time really tweaking it, because it kind of just goes out of the box. The presets really hit the tone that I want from a compressor.

Nice work.
  • goosecheese
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Any comments on the new compressor? 9 months 3 weeks ago #24902

It's a coupla months since the OP so, sorry I'm late to the party.

The compressor is great. I use it for cleans that require control of my right hand dynamics goin' all of the shop. I also use it for lead work on gainier (but not high gain) presets to get my legato under control as it's weakened from playing injuries. I'll also use it as a drive for the amps when I'm lookin' for a little extra 'sump'm-sump'm' (boldness?) whether it be clean or dirty. It's usually set to subtle settings. Sometimes I use it for a faux 'clean channel'. Whatever I need... I try it.

And, yessir. It replaced the other compressors I have used for guitar. It's a REALLY good compressor with a wide range of uses. What helped me get my head wrapped around it rather than struggle with it was on page 36 or 37 of the manual... [long pause... Checking]... WRONG!... Page 34. lol... Anyway... I grabbed a coupla guitars and recorded a few clips of different things I play and put them all on different tracks. Then I loaded a few instances of SGR, put on the headphones and started going through the Preset pack called "SGS Compressor". Then... I rand nothing but the DIs through the second half of that preset pack twisting the knobs during playthrough.

Being a geezer, and guitar player, and a creature of habit... I only turned the knobs we are all familiar with... BUT... This compressor has a 'different' knob on it called 'Shape".. It's quite different. It ain't a 'mix' knob or a wet/dry knob. According to the manual it's a completely different signal chain on that circuit. One thing's for sure... I dig it. :) I suggest taking some time... Get to know it... Run your DIs through it... Learn it. Know it. LIVE IT! And for the love of Mongo!... Check out that 'Shape' knob. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike, fatherjacques, goosecheese
  • cojoguitar
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.046 seconds