TOPIC: S-Gear and Morning Star MC8

S-Gear and Morning Star MC8 3 weeks 5 days ago #24287

I’m using the excellent Morning Star MC8 MIDI Switcher to move up and down Banks and Presets in S-Gear. Everything works fine when I load S-Gear directly into my Mac as a stand-alone program. I also notice that when I press the MIDI switches on the MC8 it activates the small green indicator next the the MIDI window in S-Gear.

However, when I load S-Gear into Logic Pro X as a PlugIn I cannot get S-Gear to move Up and Down the Banks and Presets. I can see the small MIDI indicator in the Logic Pro window when I press one of my MIDI switches on the MC8. However, I don’t see the small green indicator in S-Gear. This suggests that Logic Pro is receiving the MIDI signal from my MC8, but not being received by S-Gear.

I’ve checked the Audio and MIDI settings in Logic Pro X and everything seems good. I’ve also made sure that everything is on the same MIDI channel.

Any suggestions please…
  • Event Horizon
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and Morning Star MC8 3 weeks 5 days ago #24288

To control S GEAR or any other Plug-ins in Logic X you need to use Smart controls
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and Morning Star MC8 3 weeks 2 days ago #24292

Smart controls are a nice feature of Logic Pro. Using Smart Controls for a track, you can configure the display layout (within limits) and map MIDI messages to smart controls which are in turn mapped to plugin automation parameters. But Smart Controls is just a layer on top of Controller Assignments which are more flexible. See jimamsden.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/creat...-page-1/#comment-604 for details.

There is however another approach. You can add S-Gear as an instrument in a Software Instrument track, then set the side chain input for the instrument to the desired audio input. Then you can receive MIDI messages directly in S-Gear without having to go through controller assignments and parameter mappings. For recording, you'll need two tracks one for audio and one for MIDI. The MIDI track simply records the MIDI messages sent to S-Gear while tracking. Then you bus the output of the MIDI track to the input of an audio track to record the audio output. If you want to record dry guitar at the same time, you'll need three tracks. You can arrange these three stacks into a folder track stack so they can be treated as a single unit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, Hans_g, Event Horizon
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

S-Gear and Morning Star MC8 3 weeks 2 days ago #24295

Many thanks Jamsden for your help, your suggestion worked perfectly.
  • Event Horizon
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by Event Horizon.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds