TOPIC: I just can't make the right tones

I just can't make the right tones 5 days 22 hours ago #24135

Really cool track hugenoob - I liked it a lot!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hugenoob
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just can't make the right tones 5 days 17 hours ago #24136

Sounds like a hit! Seriously well-crafted, short & sweet. The mix sounds professional to me. The Duke adds a sort of modern edge to a classic guitar sound. Part of that may be from the crisp ribbon mic. I also hear the difference your traditional SC pickups make compared to my lower Q, lower harmonic strong MC's. I actually tried lowering the Pres. Frq to 0 on The Duke and I really liked it. The bass gets a bit looser, but it has a more "organic" sound. I lowered the Bass a tad and raised the Presence up to compensate. See what you think. Vox AC amps don't have any GNFB, so why not?
The following user(s) said Thank You: hugenoob
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone King
System Specs:
MB: ASRock H470M-HDV/M.2
M2 SSD Card: 256GB
CPU: Intel i3-10100F
RAM: 16GB DDR4-2666
GPU: Nvidia Gforce GT 1030
Last edit: 5 days 4 hours ago by GCKelloch.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just can't make the right tones 2 days 21 hours ago #24151

Thanks a lot :) A bit of a touch up here and there on the mix taking away some of the treble in the drums and rhythm guitar that I thought was overwhelming how it all sounded in phone speakers. It's a long way to the top if you want to mix rock and roll for all playback mediums from your spare bedroom.
Last edit: 2 days 21 hours ago by hugenoob.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

I just can't make the right tones 1 day 38 minutes ago #24154

Well, I wouldn’t try to judge a mix by how it sounds on a cell phone. There’s no way to tell how the bass sounds, and the bass and drum mix is the foundation of a pop mix. There are effects you can use on the master buss to simulate various speaker setups. It’s also worth frequently checking a mix in mono for phase cancelation issues.

No doubt you’ve heard of ducking the bass with the kick drum?
www.kickstart-plugin.com/

In the past we had to use EQ to make space for each instrument, but now you can use spectral ducking to retain the tonal character of foreground instruments or vocals. You can use it on a buss and route any tracks or busses to it that you want ducked by other tracks or busses. FI, you can duck a rhythm track buss with the lead vocals and solo instruments by a few dB, and you can duck just the bass range of that same rhythm track buss with a bass instrument to keep the bass uncluttered in the mix. Keep in mind that any FX sends coming off those tracks or busses won’t be ducked unless you also configure mirror sets of spectral duckers on busses routed to each of the FX busses. Leaving some or all of your FX sends unducked can actually give a mix more dynamic “depth”, but seperate spectral ducking busses going to each FX send buss leaves the option open. Spectral ducking plugins can be expensive, but you can set up two such stereo ducking channels with Elavayta Spacboy:
www.elevayta.net/product4.htm
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone King
System Specs:
MB: ASRock H470M-HDV/M.2
M2 SSD Card: 256GB
CPU: Intel i3-10100F
RAM: 16GB DDR4-2666
GPU: Nvidia Gforce GT 1030
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds