TOPIC: RME Fireface UCX Hi-Z Impedence is 470kΩ...???

RME Fireface UCX Hi-Z Impedence is 470kΩ...??? 4 months 4 days ago #23556

I was under the impression that for S-Gear the Hi-Z impedance ideally needs to be at least 1MegΩ...?

Isn't RME's 470kΩ a rather low value? (irrespective of driver stability, RT latency etc)

Most grateful for your perspectives...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

RME Fireface UCX Hi-Z Impedence is 470kΩ...??? 4 months 4 days ago #23557

Yes, it is a bit low. Using a high impedance buffer like the Lehle Sunday Driver will give a brighter and more lively sound with passive pickups.

The RME instrument input anyway sounds good, I sometimes go straight, but more often I will use a Sunday Driver to provide a buffer.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

RME Fireface UCX Hi-Z Impedence is 470kΩ...??? 4 months 4 days ago #23558

It's not just S-Gear -- any amp sim will appreciate the higher impedance. I also use a Sunday Driver.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

RME Fireface UCX Hi-Z Impedence is 470kΩ...??? 4 months 4 days ago #23559

I retired my Sunday Driver after upgrading from a 1st Gen Focusrite Scarlett to a 3rd Gen. I just didn’t hear the benefit any longer.

But interestingly, I recently got a IK Z-Tone DI box (variable impedance), and have got some great tones at lower settings combined with rolled off guitar volume. I have no idea what is happening scientifically, but it sounds good!
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 4 months 4 days ago by kierank.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

RME Fireface UCX Hi-Z Impedence is 470kΩ...??? 4 months 4 days ago #23560

I’m sure you meant this but this is the case for anything you plug a guitar into - interface/amp sim or an actual,amp.

Guitar circuitry is pretty simple and the input impedance is very much part of the same circuit found inside the guitar - as is the capacitance of the cable even. A higher impedance input (or lower capacitance cable) will result in a brighter sound being fed into whatever comes next - preamp or amp sim.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

RME Fireface UCX Hi-Z Impedence is 470kΩ...??? 4 months 1 day ago #23565

forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=135968#p135968

The Babyface Pro has 1MOhm, but the docs had an error. I would guess that the UCX also has 1MOhm. Just ask in the RME forum to be sure.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds