TOPIC: Audio interface for S-Gear

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 3 weeks ago #23078

Hi all,

I'm using S-Gear with the 1st generation Scarlett Focusrite 2i2. I want to upgrade to a new interface to decrease the latency. Currently I get an input latency of 4.7 ms and output latency of 4.7 ms with 128 samples which is pretty noticable. Can anyone share the latency of the 3rd gen Focusrite 2i2? I want to know if it's worth it to upgrade. I have a modern Mac so I also looked at thunderbolt interfaces but they are a bit too expensive for what I'm using it for.

Thanks,

Edian
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by edian.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 3 weeks ago #23084

What's your budget?
  • keeprocking
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 3 weeks ago #23085

A maximum of €200.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 3 weeks ago #23086

What I am goint to buy soon, excluding RME (that I had and sold and not because of lack of performance) is the MOTU M2: superior in nearly every aspect to the Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen, expecially for the headphones output.
Have a look to Julian Krause YouTube channel for some good infos and comparisions.
Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: edian
  • livio.minera@gmail.com
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by livio.minera@gmail.com. Reason: my email appears as a forum user name
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 3 weeks ago #23087

I can recommened the Motu M2 and Rode AI-1. Both are under $200.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 3 weeks ago #23088

I recently change my Focusrite 2i4 second gen to an AUdient iD4 and I really see a difference. For one thing, it has a dedicated instrument input with higher impedance than the Focusrite so the direct guitar tone is better preserved (more high end and mids). The preamps are better and I get better latency and a more stable driver. For the price it's amazing.
  • pixelyzed
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 3 weeks ago #23089

I'd recommend iD14 mkII then.

I have an iD4 first gen and, to be honest, I'm quite happy with it. Buffer size goes as low 16 samples (but keep in mind you need a good CPU for that), drivers are quite stable, plus a really good DI input that handles even hot active pickups nicely.

The benefit of getting iD14 is that it has an ADAT input, which makes it future proof - if needed, you can extend with a preamp like Audient ASP800 and get lots of I/O.
  • keeprocking
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 2 weeks ago #23090

I would agree with @keeprocking, I'm looking at upgrading my iD4 first gen to the iD14 MKII because I now realize I do need 2 mic inputs. The specs are pretty amazing for the price.
  • pixelyzed
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 2 weeks ago #23091

I also had the 1st generation 2i2, and upgraded (believe it or not) to a Behringer UMC204HD. It has less latency, it is cheaper but with pretty decent preamps, and a MIDI connection, so you can use a MIDI foot controller if you want. Never looked back and had it for a few years already.

Having two inputs is also an advantage compared to other units with only one input, because S-Gear can be used as a standalone and you can have two instances turned on: one for a clean amp and another for dirt tones; and you can switch between them with a simple AB/Y pedal, which is super cheap. There is absolutely no latency when "channel switching" this way, if you plan on playing live with S-Gear.
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 2 weeks ago #23092

It might stretch the budget but I would recommend considering the IK Multimedia AXE I/O for guitar DI to amp sims. It lacks SPDIF but it has mic and line inputs and the variable input impedance controls and discrete components in the signal chain are really desirable for guitar/bass DI.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 2 weeks ago #23094

If you can find an RME interface used, that's going to get you best low latency drivers.

And I wouldn't suggest MOTU if you are in Windows.
  • Dirk Diggler
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 2 months 2 weeks ago #23095

I know this is out of your price range, so I'm not recommending it, but just to give a little information on interfaces...I recently got a Presonus Quantum 2626 Thunderbolt interface. It took some work to get it properly set up on my Mac, but it makes a huge difference in latency.
  • mwooten777
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Audio interface for S-Gear 1 week 5 days ago #23223

Very helpful! Thanks for the advise everyone!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds