TOPIC: why don't more vst's do this?

why don't more vst's do this? 1 year 1 month ago #22921

• Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

why don't more vst's do this? 1 year 1 month ago #22922

WOW dude! What an interesting video. I have never heard of this product, or its companion products, even though they have been around for nearly SIX YEARS! The Key9 really sounds great, for most of the sounds. If only guitar synths could track this well...

Thank you for posting this!

t_b_o_t
  • the_bear_over_there
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

why don't more vst's do this? 1 year 1 month ago #22923

The core technology behind these pedals is the work of David Cockerell. A British electronics engineer, part of EMS synths in the early ‘70s and designer of many legendary products for Akai and Electro-Harmonix since then. David should be more well known.

One of Cockerell’s colleagues at EMS and Akai was another British engineer, Tim Orr. I was lucky enough to be taught electronics by Tim at The London College of Furniture in the ‘80s. Tim was an excellent teacher and mentor, I am very grateful for the electronics knowledge learned from him.

I worked briefly for Akai during the ‘90s, contributing to software development for the DD1500 Optical Disk Recorder (used in post-production environments). Aside from his work with the Samplers team, David Cockerell was the main designer of the DD1500 hardware system.

Interview with David Cockerell: www.rnz.co.nz/concert/programmes/hopeful...view-david-cockerell
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, Hskr8, cojoguitar, mjkl, ryentzer, susbemol, tonycore, Dallon426, keeprocking
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

why don't more vst's do this? 1 year 1 month ago #22925

Hey Mike,
thanks for the history, I had wondered how they were able to up their game so much.

Here's another option:
www.jamorigin.com/
This will allow you to play any vst you like, not just EP sounds.

And lastly the reason why more VST's don't do this is, it's very processor intensive to do in near real time.
  • Dirk Diggler
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Dirk Diggler.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

why don't more vst's do this? 1 year 1 month ago #22926

This documentary looks very interesting.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

why don't more vst's do this? 1 year 1 month ago #22927

Dirk Diggler wrote:

And lastly the reason why more VST's don't do this is, it's very processor intensive to do in near real time.

The genius of Cockerell's engineering skill is that he has implemented these products using a very modest (AD Blackfin) fixed point DSP processor. Considerably less processing power than the typical floating point SHARC devices found in most guitar processors.

Cockerell has many decades of experience with synthesizers and electronics, design skill that is probably unmatched. He is an inspiration for anyone interested in designing music electronic devices.

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjkl, ryentzer
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

why don't more vst's do this? 1 year 1 month ago #22928

It seems there's not much to find online about him unfortunately, but there are a few links on the Valhalla DSP blog:
valhalladsp.com/2009/05/20/electronic-mu...ero-david-cockerell/

...and also this short video with Roger Linn
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

why don't more vst's do this? 11 months 2 weeks ago #23032

Yep, VSTs like that would be amazing. FWIW though, the Boss SY-1 Synthesiser pedal tracks amazingly well without a special pickup. I needed to pickup one because my band plays a Fish era Marillion tribute and I need to nail some of Steven Rothery's GR-300 sounds from the 80s. Thatpedal does it very well.

I would LOVE to get something similar in VST form that's for sure!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

why don't more vst's do this? 1 month 2 weeks ago #23688

I must say that I actually did play one in a store and was very underwhelmed. It was not nearly as good as I thought it would be 😐
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds