• Page:

TOPIC: What can't Ido with S-Gear open

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 1 week ago #22722

This is my first at using this forum and I am very green at using s-gear. I I have it set up in Windows 10 and it would appear that I cannot leave it open if I want to for instance play music from my cd player. Is this correct and do I need to close it off if I want to access Windows 10 for some things. I would appreciate help on this subject
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 1 week ago #22723

I have just discovered that if I restart Windows and play a cd through Media Player first that I can play along with it in s-gear
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 1 week ago #22724

You might consider using a DAW to host Sgear.
Windows doesn't do well with multi-plexing audio.

I assume you were using stand alone mode. Also I hope you're using and ASIO sound card, internal sound cards are very limiting.
Good luck,
Dirk
  • Dirk Diggler
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 1 week ago #22738

Thank you Dirk. I originally used Focusrite, but could not get it to accept the driver somehow with Windows 10, but Behuringer UM2 accepted it straight away, and my sound card accepts this for music and sound.
I am most pleased with S-Gear, and have also included Albertos with a view to getting that Gibson Tenor Violin sound. I recently came accross a You Tube showing how to use Volum and tone knobs to get thet sound.
Thanks once again
James
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 1 week ago #22740

Ever try band amp web site and you can jam along with there tunes and use Sgear standalone to jam with.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 1 week ago #22742

Hello Vintag54...can you please confirm that you were recommending bandamp.com, not bandcamp.com?

I had never heard of bandamp, before you posted this reply yesterday. I went to that website last night, and I was really surprised by all of the original material there. In fact, all they allow is original material (according to the rules for the site.) Unfortunately, it looks like this site has seen better days, and has been in serious decline, for some time now. I feel like I missed out on something really great, when it was in its heyday.

Are you a contributor to this site? If so, under what name?

Thank you,
t_b_o_t
  • the_bear_over_there
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 1 week ago #22743

jimdene,

I ti is very important to ensure that the diver you are using is what is referred to as a "multi-client" driver.

It may also be helpful to let us know what interface you are using.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 3 days ago #22759

Than you everybody for replying. I had no end of a problem trying to get Focusrite accepted in windows 10, but Behringer UM2 was accepted driver and all with no problems. I am still going through all of the presets to see which I prefer. I have wittled it down to Alberto Barreros Producer Packs. The videos of all of them are most helpfull, but I don't expect to get anywhere near the sounds that he gets with my Gibson Les Paul Copy Guitar
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 2 days ago #22761

jimdene,
This is why I prefer what I refer to as "sound development" over "preset acquisition".

And I do believe that there are number of reasons for this preference, one being "instrument specificness".

If anything, as-much-as-it-is-possible, work with S-Gear in a similar manner as you would with a real amp setup.

Ensure that your "gain levels" pre-S-Gear are configured properly as well.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 1 day ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 2 days ago #22763

mr-es335 wrote:

Ensure that your "gain levels" pre-S-Gear are configured properly as well.

Yes!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 1 day ago #22764

I can't get the S-Gear stand alone to work with my Focusrite AI either. I assume it's an issue with my AMD CPU, but maybe not. It works fine as a VST in Reaper running ASIO drivers, and I can play along with other apps running the Windows audio or my DFX Audio Enhancer drivers just fine.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone King
System Specs:
MB: ASRock H470M-HDV/M.2
M2 SSD Card: 256GB
CPU: Intel i3-10100F
RAM: 16GB DDR4-2666
GPU: Nvidia Gforce GT 1030
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 1 day ago #22767

Good day,

I suggest ensuring that you have the most recent driver: [Click_Me]

PS: Personally, I do not care at all for Focusrite or their products.Very poor customer service, and their products are overpriced for what you receive. Consider the Behringer U-Phoria UMC line. Great product, great price.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 1 month 1 day ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 1 month 6 hours ago #22768

The UMC line is a great value. My only issue would be the latency. USB 2.o isn't quite as fast as USB C. I'm considering the MOTU M2 2x2 USB-C. It has great specs and features (accurate I/O LED monitoring) with a bit better S/N than my old Scarlett. I'd prefer if all the jacks were chassis mounted, but I'm careful. I will need to buy a USB C card for the lowest latency. I expect ~6ms at 96k vs the ~11ms (round trip in Reaper) with my old USB 2 Scarlett. That matters for live monitoring with VST FX. The newer Scarletts are USB C, but I think I'll try the MOTU.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone King
System Specs:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 4 weeks 1 day ago #22769

I have a MOTU Ultralite AVB.
I can tell you that the MOTU drivers are good, and the latencies are low.

6ms RTL in Reaper at 64 sample buffer size.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GCKelloch
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 4 weeks 1 day ago #22770

GCKelloch,
The UMC line is a great value...
...Agreed!

My only issue would be the latency. USB 2.o isn't quite as fast as USB C...
... Disagree!

Note: With modern ADC/DAC converters, the average latency created at the analog to digital stage is 0.7ms with an additional latency of 0.7ms for the digital to analog stage. By adding 0.7ms ADC plus buffer size plus 0.7ms DAC – that would be a total of 1.4ms of added latency.
Attachments:
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 4 weeks 1 day ago #22772

jbraner wrote:

I have a MOTU Ultralite AVB.
I can tell you that the MOTU drivers are good, and the latencies are low.

6ms RTL in Reaper at 64 sample buffer size.

64 samples is very low. Great for latency (because it's low), not great for sessions with, for example, reverb, or virtual instruments. 64 samples doesn't allow much room for the CPU to breathe.

And 64 is already putting you near the 10ms threshold where our ears begin to detect a delay. I wonder where a more feasible 128 or 256 sample buffer would put latency? This is the range I tend to have to stay with the average session and all of its associated plugins.

If *just* playing guitar, with S-Gear, I suppose you wouldn't need a larger buffer since there are no additional plugins fighting for the CPU's attention.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 4 weeks 1 day ago #22773

GCKelloch, the MOTU M2 has an USB-C connector, but only USB-2 capabilities... But with the special driver for MacOS it is easy to reach 6 ms latency.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GCKelloch
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 4 weeks 1 day ago #22774

I think it's actually the USB-C protocol itself that has less latency than USB 2.

Can you get stable real-time audio at 64 buffers with your DAW CPU meter above ~50% or does it glitch? I could go down to ~9ms RTL, but the Reaper CPU meter goes up and becomes unstable above ~50%.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone King
System Specs:
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 4 weeks 18 hours ago #22775

With my i7 3770K (9 years old) CPU, I could track guitars fine with 64 sample buffer - but then I definitely had to increase it to mix (add more plugins etc)

With my new Ryzen 3950X - it doesn't break a sweat. Even a full mix with all the channel strips, reverbs etc etc - it doesn't go to 50% (staying on 64 sample buffer)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

What can't Ido with S-Gear open 4 weeks 15 hours ago #22777

Keep in mind that most DAWs will up the blocksize for playback tracks (because latency doesn't matter for playback), you can see this happening if you look in the S-Gear samplerate:blocksize indicator. Typically playback tracks might be run at 1024, so the DAW is only applying the very low latency buffer for input monitored tracks.

Most of us only arm and monitor one guitar track at a time. This is how the DAW works smartly to reduce the load on the CPU whilst still allowing you to have many plug-ins processing the mix.
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 4 weeks 9 hours ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds