• Page:

TOPIC: Sgear 3?

Sgear 3? 1 month 4 weeks ago #22975

mike wrote:

We’re planning incremental releases to S-Gear v2.9, to add many of the items that have been asked for here on the forum. There are several releases planned for this year. At some point we may choose to bump the version to v3, however, we are not planning one big release dropping several new features.

When buying S-Gear 2.97 now, will one have to pay an update price when the number is increased to version 3?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 4 weeks ago #22976

rpnfan wrote:

mike wrote:

We’re planning incremental releases to S-Gear v2.9, to add many of the items that have been asked for here on the forum. There are several releases planned for this year. At some point we may choose to bump the version to v3, however, we are not planning one big release dropping several new features.

When buying S-Gear 2.97 now, will one have to pay an update price when the number is increased to version 3?

Thanks for your interest. My advice would be to buy S-Gear for what it is and where it is now, then treat any free updates as a bonus. There are some exciting v2.9 releases on the way and that's the focus.

Cheers,
Mike
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 3 weeks ago #22978

Thanks Mike for the answer. Although not what I had hoped for. This is a very in-transparent answer which leaves my main question unanswered and also does not state what one can expect to get as "exciting" updates for 2.9.
Many companies handle a grace-period for a major update, when a software was purchased shortly before a new version came out. Others offer a lifetime-license (which I often prefer). BTW, I also do not want to be dependent on an license server running. I personally want to buy SW and to be able to use it as long as I want to -- similar like a hardware purchase. Not the only, but surely also one reason why Helix and Boss hardware amp sims are preferred by quite a few people.
So I just know that I can purchase 2.9 today and can install it today, but not in the future when you might stop the business and stop the license server, right!? And I do not know anything more (not if an update will cost something, how much that might be, what features will come and under which conditions I could use those. :-(

P.S.: The license option / "copy protection" from Reaper -- that the name is shown in the program menu -- is a good way IMO to not be dependent on an license server, but still very much discouraging pirated versions.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 3 weeks ago #22979

rpnfan wrote:

Thanks Mike for the answer. Although not what I had hoped for. This is a very in-transparent answer which leaves my main question unanswered and also does not state what one can expect to get as "exciting" updates for 2.9.

In my experience it is not good to publish details of in-development features, it is not fair to set expectations unless we have a firm release date set. The nature of audio algorithm development is such that we cannot be sure how long tasks take, because solutions often require innovation and the quality of the results is subjective. I don't want to release anything unless it's (in my opinion) ready.

rpnfan wrote:

Many companies handle a grace-period for a major update, when a software was purchased shortly before a new version came out.

We did exactly this for S-Gear v2.9, and in fact we extended the grace period in line with the actual release date.

Regarding license servers, I understand your concern, but it is a concern that would affect probably 90% of audio software currently. There are very few software products which offer server-less licensing these days. Helix Native that you mention relies on a server. All iLOK protected software relies on a server. Cloud based solutions require an 'always-contactable' server which is why we haven't gone this route. Our preference is for a system that only requires the server for activation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hskr8
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 3 weeks ago #22980

Thanks again Mike for the additional answers. I surely understand the need to somehow protect software against piracy -- although this is often done to the disadvantage of the paying users. One important reason why I look especially for software which does not lock me in somehow in the usage over time is that for small companies which are one-man driven (either only by the owner, or by the owner, but the "others" do not really contribute in a significant way to the technology), there is always a chance that the company dissapears somehow. With larger company one can at least expect that (mostly) license servers will be running over a long time. I can imagine that a licensing based on trust like with Reaper might be working for S-Gear too. But I surely have no data to support that and maybe I am totally wrong!?

I did not mention Helix Native, but the Helix hardware -- which I assume does not need contact to a license server!? But I never used / tried it, so I do not know.

I interpret your lines regarding grace-period and what will come that you find it wiser not to promise something which you might not be able to deliver for any reason whatsoever, but you will also take your existing and new users in mind when making the relevant decisions. :)
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 3 weeks ago #22982

mike wrote:

rpnfan wrote:

Regarding license servers, I understand your concern, but it is a concern that would affect probably 90% of audio software currently. There are very few software products which offer server-less licensing these days. Helix Native that you mention relies on a server. All iLOK protected software relies on a server. Cloud based solutions require an 'always-contactable' server which is why we haven't gone this route. Our preference is for a system that only requires the server for activation.

Totally agree. I hate iLok because many, many times I have to re-download and install the License Manager to make some of my plugins work, and it is always a pain because you have to first uninstall some and then re-install, and every time I fire-up Reaper and the license manager is outdated, it takes forever to close the error messages for each single track that has one of those plugins incorporated.

Thank you Mike for sticking to your guns and hope you keep doing it that way. S-Gear is still my main amp sim software and am not really looking anywhere else at this time, other than waiting for your next releases.

I haven't posted in a while around here just because I got back to classical guitar after my new purchase, but will soon start posting and playing electric again... Cheers all!
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 2 weeks ago #22986

In my experience, the small hassle of re-installing or updating iLok software pales in comparison to the effort required to reauthorize plugins via challenge/response or disk authorization or the other non-iLok methods used by some developers. And setting up a new computer, iLok vs the others? Forget it... Just install the software and you're done. I was very much against iLok years back when it was more problematic but these days it's a relative no-brainer. My $.02.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 3 weeks 1 day ago #23047

mike wrote:

...Our preference is for a system that only requires the server for activation.

Thank You for this!

There are times/places that I may use the software/record when there is no internet connection. I'm really happy for the way you do the licensing and think it's the least intrusive.

For the guy wanting to know about updates, I had bought the original 4-5 years ago for $99, and I use the software every day. I delayed in upgrading, but did last Xmas for the MacOS support.

Back of the napkin math, it has cost me roughly $2-3 a month to buy and update. So for me, the software has been way worth the cost. YMMV.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 week 5 days ago #23074

Mike's comment about supporting DSP's has me thinking....

1. As much as I value the low cost of the current S-gear solution (low cost / software only / flexible Interface options) - I welcome the option of using a DSP equipped interface with S-Gear. I imagine the additional processing headroom would support more detailed modeling, multiple concurrent amps, pedals in front of amps, etc.

2. Many synth companies support dedicated knobs that map to VST software settings. This same level of integration with s-gear would simplify and expand editing, and live gig rigs, tap tempo and perhaps basses, and acoustic instruments.

3. Using an open architecture pedal board / DSP platform would allow S-Gear to still support a range of low to high cost hardware interfaces that are designed specifically for guitarists/live rigs as well as IO options for recording, MIDI triggers, ...

4. I am a tight wad when it comes to purchasing music gear, software, etc. But dollar for dollar nothing comes close to s-gear in terms of tone, convenience, stability and its ability to make playing the guitar way more fun.

Whatever Mike decides to charge to 3.0, DSP upgradability, preset libraries will be more than fair and I urge members of this forum to not take for granted the amazing tool that we have because of Mike.
Humbuckr
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds