TOPIC: Sgear 3?

Sgear 3? 3 months 1 week ago #22630

Is Sgear 3 coming out by the end 2021?

sorry had to do it. been loving Nueral but Sgear still has some magic too it. Anxiously waiting sgear 3
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 3 months 6 days ago #22631

We’re planning incremental releases to S-Gear v2.9, to add many of the items that have been asked for here on the forum. There are several releases planned for this year. At some point we may choose to bump the version to v3, however, we are not planning one big release dropping several new features.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques, Jan van Duren, ToH2002, jamsden, cojoguitar, asintoras, rose703, ryentzer, susbemol, cetrex, erichg, glengood87, Vintag54
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 3 months 5 days ago #22632

mike wrote:

We’re planning incremental releases to S-Gear v2.9, to add many of the items that have been asked for here on the forum. There are several releases planned for this year.

Really exciting news! I knew 2021 was going to be better 😁
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 3 months 4 days ago #22634

The waiting ist the hardest part

The following user(s) said Thank You: rose703
Last edit: 3 months 4 days ago by loder.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 3 months 4 days ago #22635

mike wrote:

We’re planning incremental releases to S-Gear v2.9, to add many of the items that have been asked for here on the forum. There are several releases planned for this year. At some point we may choose to bump the version to v3, however, we are not planning one big release dropping several new features.

Very happy to hear this!! Can't wait...:cheer: :cheer:
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 3 months 3 days ago #22637

mike wrote:

We’re planning incremental releases to S-Gear v2.9, to add many of the items that have been asked for here on the forum. There are several releases planned for this year.

I should temper my comment above to say that for 2021 I am planning only two major S-Gear releases, one of which will be the Apple Silicon support.

Recently I have been dedicating more time to implementing S-Gear amps in DSP, something that I am very excited about. This year I am allocating 50% of my time to new platform development including DSP and iOS, I consider this work very important to the future of the S-Gear project.

It is great to see the enthusiasm for new releases, thank you!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kikiboom, fatherjacques, workingtitle, elambo, erik, ges, cojoguitar, ryentzer, susbemol, Vintag54, cognistudio
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 3 months 3 days ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 1 week ago #22728

Hello,

I'd like to know if going to v3 will require additional costs due to version change ?

Best regards
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 1 week ago #22731

Good day,

Would such costs not be expected? I do believe so!
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 1 week ago #22733

mike wrote:

...I have been dedicating more time to implementing S-Gear amps in DSP...

Now that's something to get excited about!
The following user(s) said Thank You: erik
  • soundog
  • Tone Master
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 1 week ago #22735

I would love to see S-Gear amp models in Helix and Quad Cortex - and not as profiles - the amp models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: erik
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 5 days ago #22746

soundog wrote:

mike wrote:

...I have been dedicating more time to implementing S-Gear amps in DSP...

Now that's something to get excited about!

It is exciting! Being able to play S-Gear amps in Universal Audio interfaces, Fractal, Helix or Quad Cortex units with no latency would be huge! Of course, a stand-alone S-Gear unit would RULE but that seems unlikely.

As for existing devices, my guess would be that S-gear would be most likely to show up in Quad Cortex and/or Universal Audio, as those devices seem to be most in need of additional amps.
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by erik.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 5 days ago #22749

I do not think the future of S Gear is with companies like Neural DSP, Fractal or similar. They already have their own development team. As far as latency, with the new computers this is not an issue. Those computers are more powerful than any dedicated hardware.

Right now S GEAR has a niche on the market with a good customer base. Probably that the future of hardware modeler will be connectivity between them with the possibility to feed one into the other.

Working with other companies means making compromises to adapt your products to theirs.

Right now there are too many players in the multi amps-effects hardware category. Many of them offers more or less the same thing and others are just duplicating their technology in different forms and price points.

One thing though. As far as hardware right now. Smaller is better and I think with the fact that everybody already have a smart phone or similar you do not need an interface on the hardware itself. What's the point to have a very nice touch screen interface if you need to be on your knees to use it?

I would prefer to have a kind of system where I could choose which component I need. If I need an audio interface with high end converters why not have one on my board? A mini Apogee that could be connected digitally with an other component that would give me the amps and -or effects I need?

WE have to think out of the box when everybody are in the same box :-)
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 5 days ago #22750

I have a universal audio interface, and some of their guitar amp plugins. I have to say that I never use them. I just love the feeling that I get with sgear - and the change in latency is really not noticeable after a few seconds of playing.

On the other hand, I would really love to get this plugin in a pedal board. Do you think that might be easier with a dsp implementation?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 5 days ago #22752

Great discussion. I agree that having individual components: from guitar, audio interface, computer/tablet/phone, to FRFR provides a lot of flexibility, choice and innovation opportunity. But the cost of ownership is high. You have t be willing to put the pieces together, including using some sort of VST/AU host and accumulating your own plugins. Units like Helix/Quad Cortex and others provide a convent packaging of more fixed capabilities at the cost of flexibility, but with the benefit of gig hardened units that are easy to use in live situations.

I personally like having both options as my live and studio needs/interests are quite different.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 4 days ago #22753

I personally think an audio interface type of mixer unit would be great. Something with the low rtl like rme but with dsp of s-gear and function of th tascam model 12. Obviously less channels would be ideal.
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 4 days ago #22755

mike wrote:

mike wrote:

This year I am allocating 50% of my time to new platform development including DSP and iOS, I consider this work very important to the future of the S-Gear project.

I really like to see an iOS-Version of S-Gear!
  • Löffelsend
  • Tone Seeker
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by Löffelsend.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 4 days ago #22756

@jamsden

You are right about different needs for live and studio situation. However I think the line becomes more and more fine between them.

The great thing right now is the market has a lot to offer for live situation. Also you see a lot of smaller rigs or hybrid rigs. Just looking at the Line 6 offering and we see they offer more or less the same technology in different form factor and price points.

As far as the cost when I take a look to some pedalboard some people put a lot of money on theirs!! Very often mixing analog and digital technologies. And the larger ones are often guys playing only at home :-)

As far as users I think they are mainly in two groups. On one side you have people that want a system that gives them all the possible amps and effects. On the other side you have guys like me me that just need a tool to develop his own signature sound or just enough amps and effects to have a great sound and keep it as a preset. In the end I can probably have a very similar sound from the Stealer or the Wayfarer if I use the same IRS and play with their more advanced editing controls.

Hardware can be very expensive but you have analog pedal from 29$ to 1 000$. . A complete AXE FX 3 set-up with a FC 12 is on promotion right now for 2 699$ !! IT is probably 3 000$ once it gets home!! (For me a lot more in Canadian $)

I really think the future is giving the possibility to the user to build his own hybrid rig one piece at a time starting with a kind of core processor for audio interface and converters. The a pedal either analog or DSP based with the right knobs for the amps or effects connected to the core or hub system.Each pedal would have his software editor that would also be her plug-in counterpart that could be used within a DAW. You could also develop a generic pedal and download a specific amp.

So the key word here is options.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 4 days ago #22757

Maybe this is off topic, but might be fun to discuss. It's hard to say where music and guitar in particular might be going. There's been an evolution from live playing to in-home produced music. That was driven in part by the accessibility of in-home DAW recording, and left emphasis on community music sharing. That has resulted in a glut of content on Spotify/Apple Music which makes it really hard for musicians to stand out or make a living.

But with Covid, we should see a shift back to live music what gives the local club/festival players a chance to shine again as people want to re-engage in community based shared activities. That could shift the emphasis away from home studio where computers are fine back to live playing where more gig ready systems are more appropriate.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 1 month 3 days ago #22760

You are right. Pretty off topic but fun to discuss. Sometimes we forget what was about the thread :-)
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Sgear 3? 3 weeks 4 days ago #22791

Awesome ...but, please don't totally abandon the Windows platform. There must be some of us out there that love your work, but are not interested in leaving the womb of their studio, or buying another hardware modeler.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds