TOPIC: Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 1 week ago #22245

Full disclosure. I haven't bought s-gear yet. Lol. This playing with a computer is new to me.
Use for me would be practice at home and on the road.
I am looking for an inexpensive ($200 and below) compact interface which sounds good, easy to bring around when traveling, has 1MΩ impedance, stable on windows, and acceptable latency. I only want to plugin a guitar, nothing else really.

Another question. I just got a Nux b2 wireless system. Does that make the input impedance on the audio interface inconsequential if I use that instead of a cable?

Thanks.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by ipcmlr.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 1 week ago #22246

Hi ipcmlr,

If you plug the guitar directly into a wireless system then the guitar pickups will see that load. What matters is how passive pickups are loaded (by the first thing that is plugged-into). If the pickups see a sufficiently high impedance then the frequency response will not be damped. Active pickups are already buffered.

Regarding choice of interface at your budget, I will let others make recommendations. There are lots of options at < $150, focusrite, steinberg, beringer etc.
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 6 days ago #22247

I have a Behringer UMC204HD and am very pleased with it (more than I was with the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2). You can get it very cheap second hand and it has been very reliable and with low latency. And yes, initially, I was skeptical of Behringer products due to poor quality in their earlier products, but must say that they impressed me this time with this unit.
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 6 days ago #22248

Thanks @asintoras the behringer looks interesting.
Have you used the analog inserts for guitar pedals?
Thanks.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 6 days ago #22249

Yes, I have connected the guitar to pedals, and the pedal's output directly to the 1/4" input in the interface.
  • asintoras
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 6 days ago #22250

Thanks! I'll try and get the behringer.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 6 days ago #22251

check out the Rode Ai-1. i use it for a portable s-gear rig and never had an issue with windows. has better latency than my Motu and is built really well.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 6 days ago #22252

Pretty sure you need a USB-C port for the ultra-low latency on these USB-C A/I units.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 5 days ago #22254

Has anyone tried out the apogee one? There's one for sale locally for $125.
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by ipcmlr.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 5 days ago #22256

i had the Jam+ when it came out but it did not play nice with Windows for me. also felt a little too cheap
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 1 month 5 days ago #22257

@ipcmlr — I used an Apogee Duet for many years. Worked great with guitar, bass, and mics. I used it on a Mac, though, so not sure how it behaves with Windows.
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 4 weeks 1 day ago #22277

I do have an Apogee One for Windows and Mac and I use it with Windows 10.
I does some weird things sometimes when I use it in conjunction with a DAW. But with S-Gear standalone, there have been no issues whatsoever.
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 4 weeks 13 minutes ago #22278

I've only heard good things about the Xsonic Xtone. The original/smallest is sub $200. You can't go wrong with having some foot switches.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Compact audio interface for use with laptop/impedance question 2 weeks 3 days ago #22314

I use a ESI UGM96 as a portable audio interface. It's very small, simple, bus bowered, class compliant and has a high impedance input for guitar. I got it for about £20 used on eBay.

It is now discontinued but they have recently released an updated replacement - UGM192. I've had email correspondence with ESI customer support and their communication has been quick and helpful.

www.esi-audio.com/products/ugm192/
  • barrettisgold
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds