TOPIC: How to get room mic sound from built in IRs

How to get room mic sound from built in IRs 5 months 5 days ago #21992

I hope this hasn't been covered before, but I couldn't find anything on the forums. I know I can purchase many IRs that include a room mic IR, but how would you go about approximating that sound using the built in IRs? I've played with delay between 2 cabs as suggested in the manual, but I only seem to get a hollow sound that doesn't really sound like a room mic IR. Not sure if its in the EQ of the cab or the setting on Room Thing. Any advice would be great.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I like that "amp in the room" sound and would love to mix 2 cabinets to get a combination of close and room sound. I just play for fun through a Yamaha HS8, so I'm not looking for an exact sound, just kind of an approximation of having a tube amp there next to me.

Thanks in advance....these forums have been full of great info and amazingly knowledgeable players.

Ken
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to get room mic sound from built in IRs 5 months 5 days ago #21993

To replicate the sound of a room (an important consideration), I use a separate reverb after the guitar sim. You should be able to do this effectively within S-Gear with Room Thing. That's its intent. Where in the chain are you placing Room Thing?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to get room mic sound from built in IRs 5 months 4 days ago #21994

Guitar cabinet IRs mimic the acoustics inside a guitar amp; room IRs mimic the acoustics of a room. So, as elambo sez, use a reverb plug-in (some of which are convolution reverbs, and use IRs). If you want a very nice affordable room plug-in, I recommend Valhalla Room. With it, you could dial in just the right amount of "guitar amp in a room" sound you are looking for!
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to get room mic sound from built in IRs 5 months 1 day ago #22004

Thanks for the replies. I have tried Room Thing both before and after the cabs and it sounds like maybe after the cabs will get me closer to replicating the room ambiance I'm looking for. It sounds like its just a matter of experimenting to get the sound I'm looking for, not some predetermined sound captured in an IR. How much blend/mix do people typically use to get a room sound that doesn't sound artificial?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to get room mic sound from built in IRs 5 months 1 day ago #22006

Yes, use Room Thing after the amp/cabs. In fact, use it the very last thing in the audio chain. It doesn't take much, just dial it in slowly until it sounds right to you. 50% or less mix usually does the trick. Sometimes as low as 15-20% is enough.
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to get room mic sound from built in IRs 4 months 1 day ago #22147

I haven't tried it, so it just a theory...
So with a real amp if you use the R121 as the microphone on the cab, which has a figure 8 pattern, you should hear some room sound in your recording, unless you put up some mic screen to avoid room reflections coming back to the other side of the mic. This should be true for S-Gear cabs as well. But as I said I had not tried this. Of course there is no "dial" to increase/ decrease the room sound, but still...
But there is one thing I did try and it's quite nice:
You choose a cab in S-Gear, you choose the R121 and move it far away from the speaker.
Then you use the same cab in cab slot 2 but with a close mic. Then you compensate for phase differences between the 2 microphones with the delay dial on Pro Convolver.
  • tanarur
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to get room mic sound from built in IRs 4 months 18 hours ago #22154

Thanks, I'll give that a try as well. I have found that I was using too much delay between the 2 cabs. If I nudge the delay by half of the .1 setting (it doesn't really show a difference, but 2 clicks gets it to .1, so I just use the arrow keys to nudge it off of 0). I compared this to the 1 stereo room mic'ed IR I have and its much closer than what I was getting before. With Room thing and that tiny delay between the cabs, I think I'm getting much closer to what I had hoped.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

How to get room mic sound from built in IRs 4 months 8 hours ago #22156

I could be wrong but I think the impulses in cab IR's are trimmed so there is no phase delay between mics at different differences, so adding a micro delay will create a cancellation at a freq equal to 1/2 the distance between the mics. You might like the way it sounds, but it's not anything like the sound of room ambience. Even 2.4ms is too short to be heard as a discrete delay, and would be the delay of a reflection from ~1' away from the mic.
  • GCKelloch
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds