TOPIC: Mike.... Mac or Windows?

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 2 weeks ago #21224

I have to ask. Not to stir up a debate. But I would like to hear from an actual developer. Which do you prefer for recording and playing music, and why? Thanks!
  • Dallon426
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 2 weeks ago #21225

Pictures from the Facebook Scuffham amps 's page.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 2 weeks ago #21226

Dallon426,
I have to ask. Not to stir up a debate. But I would like to hear from an actual developer. Which do you prefer for recording and playing music, and why? Thanks!
...Two things, 1) you will - more-than-likely, "stir up a debate", and 2) in all honesty, anyone who recommends one computer platform over another would be akin to one who recommends the purchase of one vehicle over another...and, where, in the end, you will often generate more heat-than-light.

Personally, there is more to the selection of one computer platform over another than what you might initially discover.

First, may be money. Second, may be experience. Third, may be the application software that will be used. The list could be a lengthy one.

If you are a neophyte, you will get the impression that most folks involved in the music business are Mac owners - and this impression is purely a speculative one. Take a trip to Las Vegas sometime - which I did, and see what computer platform is used in many of the shows down there - over, and over, and over again.

Though I have never been to Germany, I do happen to be acquainted with a quite number of folks there who use PC's and who have no desire whatsoever to consider Mac's as an alternative.

Again, I suggest that you sit down and have a serious look at what it is you want to accomplish and come up with a list of "pros" and "cons" with the understanding that "plans do success with wise council" as well.

In the end, I believe that it is important to remember, that in a live performance environment, no one will be able to hear the end result.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 2 weeks ago #21229

Dallon426 wrote:

My personal opinion is that both OS's can work well for recording or playing music. I think Apple is an easy choice since all their machines are well suited for music applications. I've chosen to use an iMac as the primary music machine in my office/studio because it is quiet in operation, powerful enough for my needs, tidy due to the all-in-one design and the screen is good (particularly the latest 5k iMacs). I have a lot of computers kicking around so compactness is a big plus!

We've taken iMacs and MacBookPros to trade shows for consistency and because they generally have good screens for presentation. I'd prefer something more rugged for regular gigs - the ThinkPad I travel with takes a lot of abuse, but it's not so capable for music.

I know that many Pro Studios choose a powerful Windows workstation machine because they can get a lot more processing value for money (with something like a Xeon or i9 processor). The issue of machine noise can be got around by isolating the machine from the mixing area, something that might not be so easy in a home studio. There are solutions for low noise enclosures etc but really I think it's better that the PC manufacturer designs a cooling system for the specific components in the machine.

Finding a Windows laptop for music applications requires a little research because (in my experience) many low to mid budget laptops are designed for business tasks and often the processing performance doesn't stack up for demanding audio processing tasks.

Just a few thoughts. I'm sure others can contribute too!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
  • mike
  • Administrator
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by mike.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 2 weeks ago #21230

Neither HW or SW wise is there a clear winner as of now, comparing for example Apple MacBooks against high end Windows notebooks.

If you like more the workflow of MacOS and its kind of plug and play, go for it, you just have to pay the price for it. If you are more the kind guy that likes to tweak his computer or simply doesn´t care, go for Windows, you can buy a beast of a PC for the same price.

I would buy an iMac for my home studio, or even a Mac Mini, it they weren´t that pricey, I work with Mac on a company laptop and also with Windows so I know well both.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 1 week ago #21231

I use both system for business but for music I always used MAC.

I have a New IMAC 27 for graphic design for my business but at home 3 years ago, I bought a Late 2012 IMAC and put a SSD drive in it. It cost me less than 500$ .
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 1 week ago #21233

Hello,
Mike stated; "Finding a Windows laptop for music applications requires a little research because (in my experience) many low to mid budget laptops are designed for business tasks and often the processing performance doesn't stack up for demanding audio processing tasks."

As a computer consultant since the early 1990's, I have never recommended any "consumer-grade" equipment - preferring rather the "corporate-grade" equipment. Though there is a considerable price difference between the two, it is easy to obtain what is commonly referred to as "refurbished" systems at a nominal price. This is what I have done - and continue to do - both for myself, my family of seven, and for all of my clients - whether home-user or corporate-user...unless they can afford to obtain a new system, which some opt to do.

These refurbished systems come in what I refer to as "grades" - A+ being new to C, showing signs of use. I always opt for A to A+. All such systems come with either a Windows 10 Pro upgrade - but always using a clean install, or with Windows 7 - which I still prefer over Windows 10.

In my own personal, situation I obtained a Lenovo T540p in A+ condition for $350.00. Lenovo's are my first choice...'cause you can tweam'em...Dell, my nemesis, come in a close second.

So, my suggestion would be to locate a reputable dealer of refurbished systems - they also sell Mac's as well, and have a look at what they have to offer. For over 20 years now - I have never regretted that decision and have the history to prove it.

I do hope that this information is of assistance to you.
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by mr-es335.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 1 week ago #21234

Great! It proves that for whatever system you want to use there are affordable solutions. With the Coronavirus I realized I could work from home most of the time so I moved the 27 new MAC home and keep the other one at the office :-)

However I can tell you that to run S Gear it does not make a difference at all.

Very often if you tell a retailer you want to do music with your Computer they think you want to run a whole Studio with a lot of plug-ins and tracks at the same time. For most of us it is not the case so you you do not need a Mexed out machine to run S Gear and sevral effects otr tracks.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 1 week ago #21243

iMac here too! They are expensive, but I recently bought a used Late 2015 27” Retina 5K iMac ( i7 4.0 GHz) for a good price, and it is perfect for my home studio. The decision (Mac vs Windows) is a very important one, because after making it you will add a lot of software and hardware to whichever you buy (plus time invested in learning the operating system).
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Mike.... Mac or Windows? 3 months 1 week ago #21244

Good day,
The comment regarding the decision of whther to use a Mac-based or a Windows-based system is a very important one is certainly a true - and in particular, with regards to the software that you will be considering.

With regards to software, I do have the following series of videos that some might find of interest: Make Your Own Sound

A few things to consider:

Thing 1: The videos are of very high quality.
Thing 2: The videos are well laid out.
Thing 3: Martin, the provider, is extremely knowledgeable, his videos are very, very informative and Martin is, as can be seen, a very jovial fellow!

In summary...
Anyone who is using S-Gear should consider these videos for configuring their Windows 10 systems for digital audio usage and in particular, Episode 6 will provide you with the necessary know-how in doing just that.
PS: Please do Martin the honour of subscribing to his channel. Thank you.

I hope that some will find the information Martin provides of some practicable use?
  • mr-es335
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds