TOPIC: Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 2 weeks 1 day ago #21061

Hi everyone,
I've been demoing a whole bunch of amp sims recently, and quite frankly, having used S-Gear for a couple of days, I just can't return to Amplitube.

However, I do have a few questions about how people implement the plugin:

1] Obviously it's often desirable to put effects right at the beginning of the signal chain. Although Amplitube's amps no longer produce the sound that I'm looking for, I still think the effects pedal sims are pretty good. Is there a way that I can totally bypass the amp and speaker stages of AmpliTube so that I can insert it in the slot before S-Gear in my DAW?

2] Are there any good pedal only plugins that I could use before S-Gear in my DAW?

3] Is there any way I can insert VST/AUs into specific points in S-Gear's signal path? It would be useful to insert them between the amp and the speaker or even in an effect loop.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 2 weeks 1 day ago #21062

I don't know about #1 but

2 - try these
The scream
cytomic.com/scream

some good distortion pedals here
www.audiority.com/product-category/plugins/

3 - try the FX that are in S-Gear - they're pretty good. They insert in to the right places.
The only things missing are some "dirt" pedals, and they are covered in #2 ;)
  • jbraner
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 2 weeks 1 day ago #21063

For FX, take a look at Kuassa. They're my most-used in-the-box guitar effects, and they rival many analog pedals.

www.kuassa.com/products/

I have nearly all of them and find each to be very good if not excellent. You may prefer a specific bundle (they're broken into categories).
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 2 weeks 1 day ago #21064

The answer to your question 1 is Yes. Just put the unwanted block at OFF.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 2 weeks 7 hours ago #21065

As said above, yes you can use pedal effects only from Amplitube before s-gear. Just turn off the amps and cabs, leaving just the effects on.
  • player99
  • Tone Star
Last edit: 2 weeks 7 hours ago by player99.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 2 weeks 3 hours ago #21066

3] No, you can't insert effects into S-Gear signal chain, I don't know of any DAW plugin that can also act as a VST/AU host, not sure that's possible.

You can however put effects before and after S-Gear in the channel strip signal chain, use bus sends, side-chaining, etc. This is pretty flexible and I use it all the time. For example, the Logic Pro X Leslie plugin works really well with S-Gear.

I use Helix Native for front of the amp effects with S-Gear for recording or rehearsal. Works very well.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 2 weeks 1 hour ago #21067

There are a few plugins that can host other VST plugins. The only amp sim suite that I know of which does it is Revalver.
  • Magic Russ
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 2 weeks 1 hour ago #21068

In a pinch, when I've wanted a plugin between S-Gear modules, I just created an instance of S-Gear (engaging only the section I wanted), added the 3rd party plugin next, then the 2nd instance of S-Gear immediately following that (again, with only the section I wanted engaged). It's more CPU than necessary but then it's not something I do often, and it worked perfectly.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 1 week 6 days ago #21070

Thank you everyone for your invaluable advice. There's a whole bunch of useful information here.
Thanks again guys.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 1 week 6 days ago #21071

jbraner wrote:

2 - try these
The scream
cytomic.com/scream
)

Thanks for this! Didn't know about it, tested and love it!
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 1 week 6 days ago #21072

elambo wrote:

In a pinch, when I've wanted a plugin between S-Gear modules, I just created an instance of S-Gear (engaging only the section I wanted), added the 3rd party plugin next, then the 2nd instance of S-Gear immediately following that (again, with only the section I wanted engaged). It's more CPU than necessary but then it's not something I do often, and it worked perfectly.

Yes! useful info...
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 6 days 19 hours ago #21106

And if you got some old stomp boxes laying around, its always fun to see what you can come up with by using them before your guitar signal makes it to the digital realm and S-Gear. I love what my germanium fuzz pedals do!
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." - Jack Handey
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

Questions from a prospective S-Gear buyer 4 days 12 hours ago #21112

soundog wrote:

And if you got some old stomp boxes laying around, its always fun to see what you can come up with by using them before your guitar signal makes it to the digital realm and S-Gear. I love what my germanium fuzz pedals do!

I couldn't agree more. I only recently bought my first fuzz (now two) and they are brilliant. It's definitely true about the magic you get rolling the guitar volume off.
  • kierank
  • Tone Master
SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds