TOPIC: With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New'

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 3 weeks ago #20939

For me the $29 are more than justifiable, and honestly I’m having some difficulty in understanding the arguments used to justify the right to have free upgrades, just because so. There is work involved and clearly a better product that is worth being paid for (even if no new amps or effects).
Apart of the graphical aspect, s-gear has a better layout more streamlined and easier to use (with a great presets management) and just for that it is in my opinion already worth it. Midi learn was implemented and there are improvements on the IR. I won’t comment the rebuilding of the code, which I understand as a long term investment, and maybe this doesn’t happen with everyone, but in my case, with the new update I was able to reduce the number of samples from 128 to 64 (at 96khz) without sound artifacts. I now have even lower latency without sacrificing sound quality. And finally the technical support which is just brilliant. Mike helped me twice, the first one with v2.6 or 2.7 when he addressed a bug with my midi floorboard communication. It took him less than 48 hours to create a new beta build for me to test and it worked at first time. I now had some issues with the activation and the same were addressed in less than 24 hours. His time and dedication is work also, and totally worth the price of the upgrade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: CuChulainn, erik, pixelyzed
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 3 weeks ago #20953

I have been using S-Gear for a few months now, so I get the enhancement/upgrade for free. I really appreciate that. But as others have said, especially for folks that have been using S-Gear for a few years, this upgrade would be well worth it. Now 64 bit, enhanced GUI, and based on my research on IR's, just adding a couple of new IR's is worth $29 - check out the cost of individual Celestion IR's, for example. And the initial cost of S-Gear is very competitive. AND, bottom line, I have tried almost EVERY amp sim software out there - all the "name" ones, anyway - and I use S-Gear almost daily over EVERY one of the others. I assume that is why every one is here, as well. Value is always in the eye of the beholder, but for me, S-Gear is a great product, now nicely improved, easy to use with just enough options to be fun, and getting great sounds/tones is just a click or 2 away - as opposed to most of the competitors. 'Nuff said, for me, anyway.
Thanks Mike!
  • landguitar
  • Tone Seeker
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 2 weeks ago #21010

Great update Mike! Not glamorous, but the new features/enhancements are really useful. The IR library was always a bit frustrating to navigate - esp. with long file names. Big improvement, and well worth it for this new feature alone.

Sounds a bit better too overall.

I'll never understand the internet generation's assumption that everything should be free, but nice work and
looking forward to S-Gear's further development.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 2 weeks ago #21016

The Hi-DPI feature only seems to apply to the preset text and some of the buttons. The main graphics are still pixellated and blurry when scaled. Back to the drawing board (literally!).

SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 2 weeks ago #21019

Fantastic update Mike, thank you - I can now see & hear S-Gear! The clarity of scaling is great at 200% on my iMac 27. Well worth the very modest £22.40 upgrade cost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Farag.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 2 weeks ago #21022

Farag wrote:

Fantastic update Mike, thank you - I can now see & hear S-Gear! The clarity of scaling is great at 200% on my iMac 27. Well worth the very modest £22.40 upgrade cost.

Thank you!

I am personally very happy with the new HiDPI capability. Besides all the coding requirements, it was also necessary to reproduce the graphical assets at higher resolutions. The later S-Gear amps and effects were already modelled in 3D, so they could be re-rendered without too much re-work. However, some of the earlier S-Gear devices were 2D and these were more difficult to scale up, and at the same time retain the character and vibe of the original S-Gear.

In a few cases I found the hires images to be too clinical and therefore decided to use the re-scaled originals. I'm sure we'll revisit some of these elements as time allows.

Credit to my partner for a lot of hard work on the 2D/3D graphical assets, and putting up with my fussy requests to keep the original vibe intact!

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: orda3000, kierank, ryentzer
  • mike
  • Administrator
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 2 weeks ago #21027

mike wrote:

In a few cases I found the hires images to be too clinical and therefore decided to use the re-scaled originals.
Mike
Can't beat that 'vintage' blurry early 90s headache-inducing fuzzy pixellated look! :S

Given the timescale, I expected this to be a full overhaul - Retina/Hi-DPI screens have been out for 6 years, so it's not like this is a new thing. Maybe update the copy to show that actually only 2 out of 5 amps got a Hi-Res update so people don't feel misled?
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 1 week ago #21045

I like the sound of S-Gear and use it when ever I need virtual guitar amp but I must say that I'm very unimpressed this 2.9 upgrade. Basically just new preset browser. Coding this should not take very much time and effort. Anyway I continue using S-Gear but I will not upgrade until there something to pay for.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 1 week ago #21047

I think a lot of stuff was done under the hood to make the next (major) upgrade easier to implement. At least that's my understanding. But I don't claim to understand a lot. I've tried, and even went to college to try to understand things. Sometimes I just throw up my hands and say "what the......?" Then usually I feel a little better about everything.
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 7 months 1 week ago #21048

What am I even talking about?
www.johnplainsong.com
Newest album "Strange Tales" now available! S-Gear used throughout the production.
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by soundog.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 6 months 2 weeks ago #21157

Jeez .. will you look at this thread !
Just how 'entitled' and self-centred has humanity become?!
Good to see plenty of decent folks still around.
But some of you supposed adults ... SMH .. :whistle:

Hi Mike - :good job:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ryentzer
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by telepath.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 6 months 2 weeks ago #21158

Completely agree with you.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 6 months 2 weeks ago #21163

Did the upgrade last night.

Best $29 expenditure in a long time.

Thank you Mike !
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 6 months 2 days ago #21213

Well I too upgraded, I found the new UI totally necessary, as I get older, it was becoming uncomfortable for me to use the UI in my display.

The new preset management is quite cool and the fact you can have unlimited number of banks is very useful actually. I miss though having also banks for the Impulses, it would really make easier to manage large collections of them.

I somehow understand the frustration of some users due to lack of new features, as much as I understand those that have enough with the current offer. But I guess that happens with all sorts of products, and luckily enough there is a huge offer to pick up from. I have an Axe FX 3 and still fire up S-Gear many days, it has stuff that other modelers don´t (and viceversa).

I will keep on using it, from all my plugins (and own a bunch of them) is the one that offers more for less.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 5 months 2 weeks ago #21281

I also decided not to pay $29 for this update. As far as the 64bit thing is concerned, I have never used anything BUT the 64bit version, so let`s not get confused into thinking we are gaining something. We are just losing the 32bit version, which is extremely long in the tooth in relation to modern day operating systems, so shouldnt be any great loss....
I paid 100UK pounds for S-Gear & updated it to S-Gear 2, but don`t remember whether I paid more to update to version 2 or not. Sticking where I am until version 3 arrives.
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by ivansc.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 5 months 2 weeks ago #21282

It means that you do not value some of the new features? Many companies when they do similar upgrades charge for the upgrade . Then when there is a complete overhaul they charge for it with many times a cheaper price for users that have paid things similar to the 29$. My point is that I paid the 29$ because It is my way to support Mike in his development. Even though I was satisfied with the precedent version.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by fatherjacques.
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 5 months 1 week ago #21296

Some folks have said the charge for the upgrade is a sort of "Go Fund Me" thing for further development. Has Mike actually said this in a thread somewhere? Can you provide a link? Thanks!
  • Robert Smallwood
  • Tone Star
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 5 months 1 week ago #21297

I am just saying that I was glad to pay the 29$ because I valued the work Mike did and the new features. Over and above that it is a way to ensure he can make future development.
  • fatherjacques
  • Tone King
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 5 months 1 week ago #21298

My $.02:

In this age of software subscriptions, where monthly fees are required just to continue to use an application, I actually find it refreshing that the initial investment in S-Gear gets us so far. It has been mentioned before, but Mike is not making a mint off of S-Gear (far from it), but he does require cost-of-living income in order to continue with the project. These rare update fees allow that to happen. But when you attach a term (like update, or upgrade) you might begin to decode what you should expect from that fee. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I do think we should cut Mike some slack when it comes to the new features in this latest iteration. Not everyone will be excited about the fee, but I suspect that it's just part of doing business for Scuffham. He will not venture far into this topic (nor should he be required to), but I don't mind offering my own take on the scope of things, however accurate or inaccurate it may be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fatherjacques
SIGN-IN TO REPLY

With 2.9 Released please tell me what's 'New' 1 week 1 day ago #22060

Could you tell me where the min rack height is.

SIGN-IN TO REPLY
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds